Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MT with weed-eater engine?

Old 05-24-2005, 11:47 PM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT with weed-eater engine?

I saw somebody post a while back that had, I think an MGT, with a weed-eater engine in it and they said that it would run around 70 mph? Has anyone seen this done before or know how to do it? Considering I could buy a weed-eater for around 70 bucks and have some major power!
Old 05-25-2005, 07:28 AM
cardriverx

Default RE: MT with weed-eater engine?

putting an engine like than in a nirto truck will take alot of time and work. but I have seen a gas t maxx somewhere on these fourms...i think he called it the maxx gaser? something like that.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:53 AM
piccorevo

yeah it was the Maxx Gasser and the inginuity and workmanship that you would have to put into a model like that is unbelievable, hands up to the man that pulled it off. i got a video of it running and you dont ever hear the engine screaming and the truck is flying and especially the torque that thes motors put through you would have to beef up your drive train i think.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:50 PM
MountainMotor

I knew it was one of the MT trucks but I couldn't remember what it was. How much work would have to be done to the chassis and truck to allow it to fit and connect to the tranny? I would love to do it but I know it would be tough!
Old 05-26-2005, 07:18 AM
binaryterror

Well I doubt it will hit 70mph, Weed Eater engines are more torque than RPM power. So likely it will be everything down low and no top speed.

Also XTM and FG make 2wd versions fo 1/5th scale Monster Trucks. I think FG is coming out with a 4wd one soon too.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Guys,

The Maxx Gasser is my truck. It won't get to 70 mph. (just to clear that up) But it is getting up between 45 to 50 mph. binaryterror is right. the gas line trimmer engines don't put out the RPM's like the little nitro engines do. So... to overcome that problem... the engine is hooked directly into the transmission. (no reduction from the clutch to spur gear) That's also why you don't hear it "Screaming" in the video. But... since the engine is about 8 time bigger than the stock engine... it has the torque to push the truck without the extra reduction.

As far as the drive train goes... I'm running on stock parts (right now) the gas engine doesn't have the hard RPM hit that the nitro engine does... so I don't think it's actually putting as much stress on it. Yes it makes better torque... but it's not as "punchy". And because the torque comes on smoother... you are less prone to just mash the throttle to get up to speed. (besides... it will just flip over backwards) My "Maxx Gasser" has been running for over a month now... and I let just about anyone who wants to , drive it... so it's not getting babied. I've broken chassis parts from crashes... but no drive train parts have let go yet. I think the only real way to hurt the drive train is to land off a jump, with the engine revving. I don't think the trany or diff will like the inertia of the engines flywheel.

My newest truck is stretched to 1/6th scale, and is 4wd. So... I'm one up on FG, and all the other large scale people.

Ctwitty... if you are interested in getting a truck like this... PM me.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:14 PM
lloydy

What clucth have u got on it, and how many did u burn out?
Old 05-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: lloydy

What clucth have u got on it, and how many did u burn out?
I'm using a HD line trimmer clutch. It's the same clutch that the "Go-Ped", and the 1/6th scale guys are using. the bell is about 2.25" across... and the shoes are about 2" across. I haven't burnt it out yet... and actually... it hardly shows any wear at all. It will probably out live the truck.

Here's one of the bells, before I mod'ed it.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:24 AM
Dr Honda

Hi Guys...

Here's my new stretched T-Maxx.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:46 AM
Salty0790

nice truck. how does it do durability wise? with the stretch and all...
Old 05-29-2005, 09:27 PM
MountainMotor

Dr Honda, I PM you and was just wondering if you could send me some details on how you did the weed-eater engine in your maxx gasser? How you did the chassis, modified everything to make the engine fit, what parts you had to modify to make everything run properly, etc.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:44 AM
Dr Honda

Sorry... I thought I responed to you.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2893529/anchors_3002790/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3002790]click here for some build notes.[/link]
Old 05-30-2005, 04:40 PM
MountainMotor

Thanks bud, I'm gonna start reading up on it.