RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

TEAM ASSOCIATED MGT

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Mr.Extra 260
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEAM ASSOCIATED MGT

Is this a good truck what is it good for and how fast does it go.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:11 AM
ThermalRD

Default RE: TEAM ASSOCIATED MGT

Good basher, good racer. The engine that comes stock is probably the easiest RTR engine you'll have get to tune and maintain. Power is good, top speed is about 36mph. Not the fastest up top, but was just fine on the track.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:15 AM
HoldDaMayo
My Feedback: (1)

I can't see any reason to buy this truck... the TNX and TNX pro do everything the MGT does but better. I have both trucks and my MGT hasn't been used in quite a while.

The MGT is heavy with a low top speed, about 32ish MPH. The engine really needs to be upgraded to bring the truck to life. The truck is fun, but because of it's weight, when it crash and burns, there's alot of impact and an increased chance to break something.

After about 5 months with both trucks, i wouldn't even consider buying an MGT over a TNX, the TNX is faster, just as easy to work on, more durable, and handles better.

To be honest, since I don't have experience with the savages or revos... I'd look into the Mammoth ST or TNX...
Old 07-06-2005, 10:23 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is quite a good review of the truck if you are interested:-

http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/monsterGT_1.asp
Old 07-06-2005, 10:46 AM
HoldDaMayo
My Feedback: (1)

that review is almost two years old, comparing it to trucks even older... savage 21, kyosho mad force, and terra crusher...

I'm not trying to flame... just pointing that while the review may seem very good, compared to the trucks out today and the price difference, I don't think it would have been received with such open arms.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:57 AM
ICrashThings

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

Good basher, good racer. The engine that comes stock is probably the easiest RTR engine you'll have get to tune and maintain. Power is good, top speed is about 36mph. Not the fastest up top, but was just fine on the track.
Words out of my mouth.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:32 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HoldDaMayo

that review is almost two years old, comparing it to trucks even older... savage 21, kyosho mad force, and terra crusher...

I'm not trying to flame... just pointing that while the review may seem very good, compared to the trucks out today and the price difference, I don't think it would have been received with such open arms.
OK then, if you don't want a 2yr old review, here is my personal (and very up to date) review of the MGT/MTA-4:-

I have owned my MT-A4 for a couple of months now, and although it has not seen any really hard bashing, it has been jumped, rolled, flipped and crashed into various objects, and every time it has come away with only cosmetic damage. A few scratches on the shell and that was it, nothing bent or broken whatsoever.

The engine has has just under a gallon of Sidewinder 15/20% through it, and was broken in as reccomended, and appears to be gaining power every time i run it. It has consistently run llike a champ and required very little engine tuning. The temps have remained low, even running in long grass. Is is just developing enough low-end to pick up the front wheels under rapid acceleration and seems to top out at about 33'ish.

The transmission has presented zero problems. The clutch is showing signs of wear but still bites well, and slipper is working nicely (good spur gear after loads of under throttle landings). The CVD axles have been rebiult to clean them out, and there appeared to be very little wear on them. There is really nothing else to say about the drivetrain, everything just does it's job nicely and works as it is supposed to.

The electronics supplied with the truck are nothing special, but they were correctly set from the factory, and work properly. I have added a 5-cell Rx pack and done the "channel 4" mod which seems to have made a difference. The truck shifts nicely into reverse and the steering seems responsive. By swapping out the spring in the brake linkage with a section of fuel tubing the servo has the power to flip the truck over when you slam on the anchors. There is little room in the radio box, but the receiver will JUST fit in there if you arrange the wiring properly.

Other:- * The primer bulb works perfectly and makes priming the engine very simple. * All of the electronics can be removed by removing four screws, very easy. * The truck is incredibly easy to dissassemble, everything comes apart nicely and allows access to the "innards" for cleaning. * The suspension works nicely, although the stock springs are a little soft (replace with red springs). * All screws into metal are threadlocked from the factory.

That is all i can think of at the moment...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66216.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	294302  
Old 07-06-2005, 11:51 AM
turbopwr

I also have a MGT, TNX, and Revo. The TNX or Revo are much better in every way. I agree with holddamayo. Tne TNX is better in every way. If price is a factor get the TNX and upgrade with powerstroke shocks or get the TNX Pro.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:07 PM
yamaguchi

It seems from what all I have read from people that own both a TNX and a MGT, the TNX is a more fun truck but does break more often than the MGT. The TNX needs the plastic axles changed out to metal ones. Also for bashing reverse is nice on the MGT. I think my next truck will be a TNX though as I already have a MGT.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:59 PM
arnee

I own a tnx and want another truck. The mgt was my strongest candidate and after reading this thread I am in doubt . Is it really true that I am better of with the revo or maybe another truck? I have read alot of the mgt and found out that this truck gets better more you read . Give some points that my change my mind. I love tnx
Old 07-06-2005, 02:04 PM
yamaguchi

Only thing wrong with the MGT is the upper A arm mounts bend and pull away from the frame. I bought mine used and well abused and that was the only thing wrong. Read about it on Monster GT forum, lots of good people over there.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:00 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: yamaguchi

Only thing wrong with the MGT is the upper A arm mounts bend and pull away from the frame. I bought mine used and well abused and that was the only thing wrong. Read about it on Monster GT forum, lots of good people over there.
cant read it over there .. they shut the forum down..
Old 07-06-2005, 07:50 PM
MacManInfi

In my opinion, the MGT is the most solid, all round truck out of the box, save for the small motor. Especially since you can get a new one for just over $300 now. Every other truck that I've bought needed upgrades in order to perform. The MGT is really stout, I bash it hard. It takes almost as much abuse as my Savage. The stock steering servo is strong enough, the brakes work good and standard reverse is great for bashing. It also comes with very nice CVD's in the center and the primer bulb is so cool that I've added it to every other truck that I own. And while the stocker motor is small, it does run great and is easy to tune (which is more than I can say for Traxxas motor).

It does have it's down sides though. Weight is the #1 issue. It's pretty heavy compared to everything else. Not much you can do about that, other than throw a .28 in it to compensate. . The stock shocks are junk (the caps blow off on hard landings). Traxxas large bore shocks are a great replacement, and a set only runs about $50 on ebay. It has an annoyingly large turning radius, and for whatever reason, the 1st and 2nd gear ratios are really close together. So you either get a lot of power down low, or gear it up and get a lot of top end, but you can't get the best of both worlds, which is usually the point of a two speed. I think it's just a result of being geared specifically for the anemic .21 motor.

I do think the TNX is a great truck, but the parts supply sucks. Very few parts on ebay and/or the local hobby shop. And there is nothing worse than breaking something and not being able to get parts for it.

It's not the best basher, it's not the best racer, but I do feel it's the best over all truck out of the box.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:59 PM
MGT_STC007

Goto these sites listed below and determine for yourself based on the information you find.

http://alumniblinds.com/MGT/MGTINFO.htm

http://csgbenefits.org/mgt/