Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

flamethrower

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 05:37 PM
jetski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flamethrower

hey guys, well after reading the latest copy of monster trucks magazine and seeing the emaxx with the flamethrower i had thoughts of making one. Using battery is safer to go but before i spent the money i wanted to see if i could get it to work. normally i wouldnt do this cuz of the safety issue as i'm scared of many things, i wont even shoot my friends potato gun even though they insist it is 'safe'. my dad is a volunteer firefighter and works for a company called pyro-tech, the deal with fire prevention in buildings, his job is to test new systems by created different styles of fires. we have gotten the flamethrower to succesffully work other than the fact that we are unsure how to ignite the flame. We set it all up on a piece of 1' x 1' sheet metal to simulate being on an emaxx. We are both unsure, it is much easier for the devices he uses to simulate fires, but he deals on a much larger scale. He has a few ideas on how to ignite it, but I was wondering what you guys think. According to the article, he shots the butane across a small pilot light and from the looks of the picture he has a hose hooked to the release on a lighter, but we are still unsure how his actually works.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to ignite it, i had thought about using a system such as on the remote airplanes as they can start their engines from a distance. Of course you want to ignite the butane towards the end of the pipe, which is a pieces of 1/4" copper pipe.

Any ideas you guys could give me, and any differences i could make to be better would help me in deciding what to actually do when working on it.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 05:55 PM
raykessler

Default RE: flamethrower

u can buy a barbeque lighter from ur local hardware store for about 10 bucks
Old 07-18-2005, 06:10 PM
jetski

yeah thats good for igniting like on my friends potato gun, but i need somethign i can hook up to a servo, so i dont have to be next to it to ignite it, thanks for the idea though

also do they make a sliding arm servo

thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 07:37 PM
raykessler

get a three chanel radio, mount the servo above the button for the BBQ lighter and put a rod inbetween the servo and button so that it presses the button

sound good???
Old 07-18-2005, 09:50 PM
jetski

i had thought about that, or rigging one up, but i'm not sure the servo would be strong enough to push the button, some of them are pretty tough to push. i dunno, i'm gonna crush by the hobby shop tomorrow and see if i can think of something.

thanks
Old 07-19-2005, 06:58 AM
gerwen

You should be able to rig up a 3rd channel with some sort of lever setup to give it enough force to start that lighter. You could try to find a smaller lighter that works on the same piezoelectric spark. Shop around to find the one that takes the least amount of force.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:25 AM
bajan_dread

i know this is an old post but if its just the "spark" your looking for u can just use an electric ignitor from a grill and take it out of its housing in order for you to rig it up the way you would like wih the torch. since they can spark off of an AAA battery it shouldnt take up too much space. have your third servo act as a off and on switch to complete the circuit and viola. instant spark!