RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Starting a Club

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 04:30 PM
marshon50
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting a Club

I'm interested in starting a R/C club. If there's anyone out there who has successfully done this, I'd love to hear from you. I'm ultimately hoping to get the town/county/state to make a designated R/C track here in Central Jersey. I love to bash, but I'm jonesing to race and traveling 2hrs for a local club level race isn't in my reality given gas prices, time commitment, etc. And without the club level experience going to a big/national race would be like trying to play ball and never having played in high school. Comments and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!!
Old 07-21-2005, 04:51 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: Starting a Club

Isnt JoiseyMaxx still around???
Old 07-21-2005, 10:08 PM
marshon50
My Feedback: (2)

guess not, never heard of it, was 'on the road' for 2 years and lost touch w/ the r/c scene
Old 07-22-2005, 09:32 PM
danielst

Me and my buddy Brad started a club about 2 years ago. We started out with just 3 or 4 of us and a small track on the side of his house. We now have about 30 to 40 members and we have 4 tracks (all built at peoples houses) that we run on. We don't really race, but we do sometimes try and get everybody with a similar vehicle out on the track together for some impromtu race action. Our website is http://www.scorerc.com and we are in Southeastern Ohio. We built the club up by getting our friends to come and check out our cars when we would get together and run at his place. Over time, some of them got cars and then invited some of their friends to come and check it out. Then some of them got cars and so on. We try to get together every few weeks over the warm months. Our latest craze is 1/8th scale buggies, it's been funny over the past few years as we have went from electric buggies and stadium trucks to nitro stadium trucks and now 1/8th buggies and truggies. Good luck with you club!

Travis
Old 07-26-2005, 08:23 AM
maxximum_overdrive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys got some nice terrain to tear up up there in ohio. got a question though.........whats with the "grass" tracks? is it because they are easier to mantain? i though that was a europian thing. anyway, great stuff. wish i could get a few people interested so that i could have cool places like that to "play". there is a track close by, but it is a pay track that you can only use on sundays, 5 bucks to "practice", another ten if you race. i'd like to have a track close by that i could go and run when ever i wanted that i didn't have to pay to use. i'm considering asking my landlord if i can build a track on the back of the property. he has ten acres that my house, his house, and his sons house are on..........the rest is just wide open field, but he keeps it all mowed like its lawn. kinda rediculus if you ask me. he mowes at least three days a week, as it takes that long to get it done. anyway as i said great stuff. and if anyone lives near little rock let me know if you are interested getting together to bash.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:26 AM
RCtruckRacer

Your best bet is to get some help with a local hobby shop. That was how our club managed to pull itself together. The hobby shop doesn't give us much money, but they always tell people about us, and members get 10% off parts at the shop. This will be your best advertisement, and the best way to get the word out about your club. After all, its the people that buy the trucks that you want to join!!!

You will also want to get your club recognized as a non-profit organization. This way, you can get excavating and construction companies to donate time and materials

Your next requirement will of course be the track. Try going to your city, county and state planning commisions to see if they can donate any land. You never know, there may be land set aside for a park that you could have for the club. And, as a non-profit org. you might get a private party to donate land.

If you have managed all this, now is when the real work starts.

Imagine... You need liability insurance, a maintenance plan, racing schedule, upgrade plans (maybe that drivers stand you built could use a roof for shade!), a way to keep the track safe from vandalls, electricity, water service, pit toilets, ample parking... the list goes on.

If you are really serious about this, it is quite the undertaking. Do get some help! Perhaps whomever ran the old club would want to help? Your LHS should know who it was.

Good luck!!!!