Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

The pro's and cons of the LST.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:26 PM
PillowPants

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The pro's and cons of the LST.

Could someone please list the pros and cons of the losi super truck?
Old 07-23-2005, 05:47 AM
PeteOz

Default RE: The pro's and cons of the LST.

Pros:

Best radio of any RTR Truck
All parts are symetrical (same a arms, gilkheads diffs, shock towers steering arms etc etc on all 4 corners)
SUPER easy to service and work on
fantastic mix of bashing and racing ability
Easily tuned, very powerful Mach .26 motor
twin high torque metal gear steering servos
BIG, FAST, MEAN

Cons:
Expensive (not so bad when you factor in the expensive radio), but still $550-$600 price tag is highest in industry
Extremely weak A arms, requires a LOT of spares (inexepensive but still a pain when they break) or alloy or RPM upgrades
Weak diff cases, very prone to breakeage, especially the front one (cheap fix..alloy diff cases $10 each)
Plastic spur gears are exposed and tend to get chewed up very easily (get a secondary gear cover for $15)
It's Big and a bit heavy so it's not much fun to race against buggies or Revos on small tight tracks
Old 07-23-2005, 02:03 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: PeteOz

Pros:

All parts are symetrical (same a arms, gilkheads diffs, shock towers steering arms etc etc on all 4 corners)
BIG, FAST, MEAN

Cons:
Expensive (not so bad when you factor in the expensive radio), but still $550-$600 price tag is highest in industry
Extremely weak A arms, requires a LOT of spares (inexepensive but still a pain when they break) or alloy or RPM upgrades
Weak diff cases, very prone to breakeage, especially the front one (cheap fix..alloy diff cases $10 each)
Plastic spur gears are exposed and tend to get chewed up very easily (get a secondary gear cover for $15)
It's Big and a bit heavy so it's not much fun to race against buggies or Revos on small tight tracks
Cool, thank you. i can't deicde if i should put about $700 into my t-maxx, or buy a new truck...
Old 07-23-2005, 02:12 PM
peed

ORIGINAL: NitroRulz23

Pros:

BIG, FAST, MEAN

Cons:
Cool, thank you. i can't deicde if i should put about $700 into my t-maxx, or buy a new truck...
PeteOz said it

it is so expensive becuase it includes a 200$ radio.
in this year Radio Control Monster Trucks, theres a part that is named clash of the titans, they tested the top 5 trucks:
-lst
-revo
-tnx
-savage
-mgt
the lst is the best overall, this is what they said:
whats hot:
-mach 2.6 engine
-high/low 2-speed tranny
-high quality jr xs3 radio.

whats not:
-nonadjustable camber
-dirt can enter the back of the spur-gear cover

buy the lst, with the aluminum diff cases, rpm arms, secondary gear cover, etc i think it would be tops $700 so......go for it!
Old 07-23-2005, 02:28 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: alex7

Pros:

BIG, FAST, MEAN

Cons:
PeteOz said it

it is so expensive becuase it includes a 200$ radio.
in this year Radio Control Monster Trucks, theres a part that is named clash of the titans, they tested the top 5 trucks:
-lst
-revo
-tnx
-savage
-mgt
the lst is the best overall, this is what they said:
whats hot:
-mach 2.6 engine
-high/low 2-speed tranny
-high quality jr xs3 radio.

whats not:
-nonadjustable camber
-dirt can enter the back of the spur-gear cover

buy the lst, with the aluminum diff cases, rpm arms, secondary gear cover, etc i think it would be tops $700 so......go for it!
well with the $700 i was going to get these for my t-maxx.

-RPM arms all around
-Proline shocks
-Sirio .23
-Fantom t-maxx tuned pipe
-proline 40 series tires/wheels.

so i can do all of that and have a pretty tricked out t-maxx or buy an LST. So how does the LST hold up while bashing?
Old 07-23-2005, 03:50 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Tmaxx as well as an LST and an MGT............................Stay away from the Tmaxx. It's a money pit. If you're gonna spend $700, then absolutely buy the LST and get the aluminum diff cases, secondary gear cover, and better a-arms. You can do it all for under $700.

Even after buying those parts for the Tmaxx, you'll still just have a $700 turd.

The LST holds up awesome for bashing......for the most part. It NEEDS the aluminum diff cases, secondary gear cover, and at least some spare a-arms (or just upgrade). After those mods, it'll be as tough or tougher than anything else out there, and still be very fast and handle awesomely.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Muswagon

Buy the LST, sell the T-maxx. Use the Tmaxx money to buy the LST parts to make it bulletproof.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:20 PM
PillowPants

Sorry guys, but no way in hell would i sell my t-maxx. you guys can say what you want but my t-maxx IS and will always be my favorite truck. i dont care what the reviewers say and all that crap, its an awesome truck. I just can't make up my mind. I love my t-maxx, but i'd like to see what else is out there. i have put soo much time and money into my t-maxx that i'd hate for it to become a dust collector on the shelf. Since i recently recieved this huge chunk of money, i would really like to take the opportunity to really fix up my t-maxxx, and make it almost bulletproof, but then again, i could get a whole new truck with that money... hard decision. so could i get some non-biased points of views please? oh, and thanks alex7 and JEFX, for telling me all the stuff i'd need to buy if i got the lst.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:25 PM
jefx

Sorry guys, but no way in hell would i sell my t-maxx. you guys can say what you want but my t-maxx IS and will always be my favorite truck. i dont care what the reviewers say and all that crap, its an awesome truck. I just can't make up my mind. I love my t-maxx, but i'd like to see what else is out there. i have put soo much time and money into my t-maxx that i'd hate for it to become a dust collector on the shelf. Since i recently recieved this huge chunk of money, i would really like to take the opportunity to really fix up my t-maxxx, and make it almost bulletproof, but then again, i could get a whole new truck with that money... hard decision. so could i get some non-biased points of views please? oh, and thanks alex7 and JEFX, for telling me all the stuff i'd need to buy if i got the lst.

Since I own both the LST and the Tmaxx, my viewpoint is about as unbiased as you can get. I owned the Tmaxx first, and thought it was the greatest truck ever. I hopped it up quite a bit to make it stronger, faster, and cooler looking. I was spending (and still do) constant money on it to improve the weak points. I've probably spent around $2000 total on it over the last few years improving and replacing parts on it. I thought that it would always be my favorite.

Then I bought the LST. What a difference! The $600 LST is many times better, in stock trim, than my well modified Tmaxx ever dreamed of becoming. After owning, driving, and wrenching on the LST for the last year, I regret all the time and money I spent on the Tmaxx. I still have the Tmaxx, and still drive it occasionally, and I'm still spending money on it. The LST was the truck I was trying to turn my Tmaxx into all along. I'd sell the Tmaxx, but I've spent so much time and money on it that I guess I'll just keep it. It collects dust most of the time.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:43 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I had lots of UE gear on my Tmaxx (diffs 8 spyder,Gen 4 steering,Super Six tranny,Ti Center drive shafts and Ti UE drive shafts,GA 7075 bulks,Ti Skids,Sirio .18,Fantom .18 200oz airtroinics) etc..

Shortly after breakin I was doing stuff with the LST I could never do with my Tmaxx. A few weeks later I won a race, never did that with a Tmaxx either. The next week I sold all my Tmaxx gear on ebay.

You need to drive a LST.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:13 PM
PillowPants

I dont understand what you mean by weak points. i guess i'm just not as much of a hardcore racer as you guys are. i just jump around the desert and do hotlaps down the street. i'm not a racer at all.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:52 PM
jefx

I dont understand what you mean by weak points.
The Tmaxx is full of them. The stock a-arms are weak, the skidplates are weak, the bulkheads are a terrible design, the engine sucks, the tranny gears are crap, the diffs are wimpy, the chassis has too much flex, etc, etc.

Finally after replacing about 90% of my Tmaxx with stronger aftermarket parts, it will actually go for several hours of run time without breaking..............as long as I don't hit very big jumps.

Anyway, when I think about all the money I've spent on the Tmaxx, I could have bought several LST's, and a stock LST is still stronger and faster than my modded Tmaxx.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:38 AM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: jefx

I dont understand what you mean by weak points.
The Tmaxx is full of them. The stock a-arms are weak, the skidplates are weak, the bulkheads are a terrible design, the engine sucks, the tranny gears are crap, the diffs are wimpy, the chassis has too much flex, etc, etc.

Finally after replacing about 90% of my Tmaxx with stronger aftermarket parts, it will actually go for several hours of run time without breaking..............as long as I don't hit very big jumps.

Anyway, when I think about all the money I've spent on the Tmaxx, I could have bought several LST's, and a stock LST is still stronger and faster than my modded Tmaxx.
i dont know dude, sounds like you got a lemon or your idea of bashing is house jumping.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:47 AM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

I have to throw my UNBIASED opinion in here. Between the upgrading the T-maxx and getting an LST... I'll be honest, I'd buy the LST. The T-maxx is a great truck. My friend has one, but there's only SO much you can do with it. The LST is a good truck, from what I've seen.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:57 AM
PillowPants

ahh man. 100% of the answers say LST... i really really want it.. but i'm afraid if i get it my t-maxx will become a dust magnet on the shelf. does anybody in here have 2 trucks that they run equally?
Old 07-24-2005, 08:49 AM
peed

im sure you should be available to drive both cars.

everyone says you should buy the lst because it is newer, better radio, better engine, etc.

the t-maxx was the first "super mt" that revolutionized nitro rc, i think you love it so much because maybe it was your 1 rc.

go and buy the lst, upgrade it, and you will see you will end up selling your maxx
Old 07-24-2005, 10:34 AM
DaveG55

I currently have 3 MT's. A Savage ss25, a T-Maxx Pro.15 converted to the 2.5r and an LST. I run all of them about the same. It seems that the one that is being run the most at any given time is the one that's currently being upgraded or worked on. Four weeks ago it was the T-Maxx with the 2.5 conversion, Last week it was the Savage (trying to find and fix an air leak) and this week it's the LST - new a-arms and new p/s.. I'll probably get a Warhead when they finally come out, just because I'm courious and think they may have lots of potential at a good price. I have found that when you have more than one it gives you something to play with when one (or more) breaks and break they will. The downside is that they do break and it seems like there's always something to fix and always an upgrade to make something better which all means more $$$$ poured into the hobby.
The LST is a good fun truck and PeteOZ covered the pros & cons real well. I don't think you'ld be disapointed in it.
Dave
Old 07-24-2005, 12:03 PM
ThermalRD

A recent batch of LST's was just recalled according to my LHS. Apparently con rods were breaking. I'd say that stock engine is still a POS. Most LST owners admit to weak CB, and spur gears, weak arms, weak shock shafts, and weak diff cases. Yet its still a great truck? The LST "can" perform, if it stays in one piece. Good luck with it, if you go that route. I'd love to see Team Losi actually re-design the truck with stronger arms, and a secondary gear cover that DOESNT require electric tape to cover up holes. While they're at it, they can stop using that crap mach .26. Or atleast get "quality control", UNDER CONTROL!!!
Old 07-24-2005, 01:58 PM
PillowPants

thanks for everyones input, but i think i'll just stick with my t-maxx for now. i dont know if i'd be able to deal with more than 1 truck. Especially with school coming up here in about 3 weeks. thanks anyways though guys.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:03 PM
peed

oh[&o]
i thought you were going to buy the lst
Old 07-24-2005, 02:15 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: alex7

oh[&o]
i thought you were going to buy the lst
i already have a perfectly fine truck is the thing. and most people on here buy new trucks because they want to replace the one they are currently driving, but mine doesn't need replaced. i haven't broken a part for months and i'm STILL running my stock a-arms. i have had really good luck with it and i have only had to buy 3 new parts, (all around 5 bucks) and the rest was just upgraded by preference. but i dont know, i'm one of those people that can completely change their points of views in seconds, so there might still be a chance. i have also been looking into the HPI 18SS stadium truck, i already have a JR X2 2-channel radio with JR servos and a JR reciever that i can rip from my xxxnt2. so we'll see...
Old 07-24-2005, 02:16 PM
jefx

i dont know dude, sounds like you got a lemon or your idea of bashing is house jumping.
Hardly. Bashing is just anything that is not racing. I don't do big jumps with the Tmaxx because it can't handle them, that's what the LST is for. It takes monster jumps with stride.

Yes, my Tmaxx has been a bit of a lemon. Just like ThermalRD's LST was quite a lemon. He broke stuff that most of us never experience. You can have a lemon with anything you buy, toaster's, lawnmowers, even full sized cars. However, my experience with the Tmaxx went well beyond the lemon stages. I have had trouble with every single part on the truck, and even after rebuilding almost the entire thing with stronger hop-up parts, it still continues to give me problems. It's just not as tough or reliable as the LST.

If you get the LST and you're afraid that the Tmaxx will collect dust...............Just don't let it happen. Drive the Tmaxx too. It's not that hard to do. Just take both trucks with you, and when one breaks then drive the other. Or just drive one truck for a little while and then drive the other. Owning the LST doesn't mean that you'll never touch the Tmaxx again, it's still a nitro MT that's fun to drive. It also doesn't make you any kind of traitor. Why be brand loyal? Companies aren't loyal to you.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:49 PM
benifur
My Feedback: (4)

Go ahead get the LST you wont regert it . I have 5 MTs now ( just got a savage with out a engine ) I drive them all (exept the savage but I got a Collari going in it). Like somebody said I usually have one on the work bench. Of them all I like the LST the best it's the easyest to work on. Out of the box it was BAD ***** and just keeps getting better.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:46 PM
bentgear

What I wonder is what is everybody doing to to break all the arms, diff cases and shock shafts. I bought a ragged out LST off a guy for $200. Had a new engine, Picco, that he managed to ruin in one tank. Everything was loose and worn. Got it all tight now, new Mach 26 installed, two gallons later its still running fine, still has lots of wear but have not broken anything yet except the clutch bell bearing broke and spit out getting hung in the gears (finished the heat race tho). Plus I have had to replace most of the wheel hub pins and put in one CV joint kit.

Ever see a bearing race imbed itself in a aluminum gear and cut into the plastic gear with every round it makes? Funny site.

Ed M.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:29 AM
PeteOz

ahh man. 100% of the answers say LST... i really really want it.. but i'm afraid if i get it my t-maxx will become a dust magnet on the shelf. does anybody in here have 2 trucks that they run equally?
Yes, I have 2 LSTs [8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.