Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

LST Engine problem - Please Help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

LST Engine problem - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 02:29 PM
medfoch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST Engine problem - Please Help

I am reposting out here due to lack of response from the LST forum. Thanks!

After only 7 tanks of very rich running ( 4 of those were only Idle ) and never taken over 1/2 throttle the con rod broke. Considering the reliability of my Savage 25 I am starting to rethink my LST purchase. I have sent the motor back for repair, however I am also thinking of getting a different engine. I have read the posts about all the different engines people are putting in the LST. I was wondering if anyone has put the new HPI 4.6 engine in an LST yet. My old .25 engine is still running strong and very easy to tune. The engine seems to be inexpensive and rotostart compatible. I hate pull starts. but will the engine drop in? if not what will be needed? I also don't want to have to rebuild my entire truck because I put some massive engine in that the drive train can't handle. The other option is to sell this LST and just get another Savage. Any ideas / thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-25-2005, 03:06 PM
PillowPants

Default RE: LST Engine problem - Please Help

I think it was Thermal that said the other day that a bunch of LST's were recalled recently because of a con rod problem. I'm not sure about putting the HPI 4.6 in there though, haven't heard anything.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:20 PM
ThermalRD

Medfoch, im sorry to hear you got one of those trucks. Not referring to the LST in general, but the LST that was just recalled. Again! That engine should be replaced under full warranty from Team Losi, and Horizon. My LHS had to send every truck back because of the "bad batch" of LST's with snapping con rods. My recommendation on a smooth running engine is the XTM 24.7 Pro. Expect it to have the same power as the Mach .26, but a smoother power band, and more RPM's. Atleast thats what i experienced when i ran my XTM Pro in my LST. Conveniently enough, i had put that engine in my LST after my washer went up thru the piston and sleeve on my LST on week 2 of ownership.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:32 PM
DaveG55

It's a shame you got hold of one of the engines with problems. At least the repairs will be covered under warranty. Horizon has been real stand up about about fixing any problems and even gone so far as to recall trucks on store shelves. Not every company would go to that extreme. Also, I have not heard of anyone who has had the engine repaired after the con rod failed that has had further problems.
Coincidently, I have a Savage ss 25 also and I've been considering putting a Mach.26 in it (I have an extra one on hand). Strangely enough, I've had more trouble with my Savage than with the LST. The Savage has even had to have a new motor because the entire left side of the crankcase broke into several small pieces.
Dave
Old 07-26-2005, 08:56 PM
freefly

lst #016074
Bad forward / reverse servo.
Broken a arm (landed bad.) (upgraded to rpm)
Broken rod on about the 8th tank of fuel.

Very sad.

I love the truck just wish I could use it. Maybe I will upgrade the motor to something that has been proven. Any Ideas?

REVO W/ OS18 , 23 mm hubs, titanium shocks, rpm a arms,
LST W/ BROKEN Dynamite 26 ???
Old 07-28-2005, 05:39 AM
Tudogs
My Feedback: (1)

Had a Nitro Star 25 in my Savage. Strong motor but over rated @ 2.5bhp.
Long story short. Lost compression, had a defective sleeve & pulled it off.

Picked up a M26 from my LHS & after many tune sessions, I have a beast.
3 gallons with stock motor & no drive train damage racing.
So far with the M26 Ive had to tighten the slipper to full tight and destroyed
my front diff.. Had to drop 3 teeth off of the spur to keep her on the ground too.
When I opened up the backside to seal her up, I was impressed with the
quality of the mill work. However, the carb sux. I am deffinately getting
the Sportwerks carb.
For 139 clams US, if it breaks, I'll get another.

Tudogs
Old 07-28-2005, 06:15 AM
^Horatio>

My friend's LST had the same problem with the Mach 26. The piston broke very soon after the break in period. The engine was repaired under warranty, but unfortunately soon afterwards then the conrod punched right through the block!! It was one of the most spectacular engine failures I've seen.

With the NS S 25 engine that comes with the Savage, I inspected mine prior to doing the running in procedure. It was not only rusty, but poorly lubricated and full of metal debris/swarf. I'm certain that if this engine hadn't been thoroughly flushed through with alcohol and re-lubed, it would have been damaged as soon as I attempted to start it. The running in procedure would have been pointless. As it happens, this same engine has now had over 12 gallons through it and has been ported twice!

I suspect that most engines end up being run without being properly prepared. In some cases, maybe these particles that are present inside all new engines, are too small/fine to do major damage. But in other unlucky engines, perhaps these particles are big enough to do serious harm to the liner and possibly the bearings, conrod or even the case?

Just a thought.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

I installed mach.26 in my hyper and it run 2 1/2 gal. already, and have sportwerks .26 in my raptor too. both don't have problem yet. One thing my lhs told me about this engine, when the first batch LST went out of stock, they probably rush making the second batch as they have
a long list of order and probably the way they make this engine, they did also rush it and it cause them big problem. You know if you make something and specialy rushing it, it will have a poor
quality finish. Those engine I have was been order after maybe 2 month already when they started correcting this problem. I hope..................
I love this engine because it have 7 port ( 2 boost ports, 2 transfer ports, and 2 guide ports and the exhaust), it have 2.75 hp. turbo port crankshaft. The Mach is a non pull, the sportwerks is w/ a pullstart.