Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

hot bodies lightning GTX2

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 07:45 AM
kenny_kustom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot bodies lightning GTX2

What do you all think of the new lightning GTX2 from hot bodies ????? it looks pretty sweet but the twin engine thing kinda scares me ... what do you think ?
Old 08-12-2005, 09:18 PM
MacManInfi

Default RE: hot bodies lightning GTX2

I have one and love it. I was worried about twin motors too, but it's actually been quite easy to start and tune. Gobs of power and a pretty high top speed for a single speed. Handles great.

The only problem that I had with mine was that I broke a tooth off of a spider gear in a very early run. You'd want to pick up a couple sets of hardened diff gears just as a preventative measure. Haven't broken anything else since then and I bash it pretty hard.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:49 PM
tarus

i got one too. the dual engines were easy to break in and start. lots of power . top peed is great for a single speed and is still increasing . only 10 tanks so far. this thing with the dual engine sounds like bees on steroids. its the coolest thing. i"m stuck on hot bodies i"ll never buy traxxas again.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:43 PM
kenny_kustom

if you are trying to tune by reading the temps of each motor ??? are they not so close together that the heat from each motor will effect each others reading ? ?? wouldnt it throw off the tune of either ?
Old 08-14-2005, 06:15 PM
kenny_kustom

also, is the gtx2 just a fragile racer, or can you toss it over a few jumps without smashing everything ?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:56 PM
MacManInfi

The tune really isn't much of an issue. Even if the tune is "off" on one, or even both motors, even combined partial power is more than one motor, so it still flies. Point is, that the truck simply isn't as sensitive to tuning as a single engine truck is. I monitor the temps on the two motors and they're pretty easy to keep within 20 degrees of eachother.

The truck is built really, really well. So much reinforcement every where you look. Heavy duty everything and high quality stuff. Jump it like mad, it can take it. I've only broken a spider gear so far, and since then I've replaced it with hardened gears and haven't had another problem.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:16 PM
tarus

yes this truck is built like a tank. full aluminam under body, metal 50 tooth spur gear i could go on. piont is that you do not have to buy a bigger engine, better tires, or muffler. spending 500 on a revo or savage then putting another 400 into it making it almost 1000. my revo with a sirio .23 and fantom muffler can't keep up. this thing out the box is it . no hoppups period.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:30 AM
MacManInfi

Agreed! That goes for servos too. I've needed to upgrade the servos in every other truck that I've bought, but the twin steering servos in this thing will make those big ol tires go from lock to lock without the truck moving, and they do it quickly. Every other truck that I own (LST, Savage, Mammoth, MGT and GS Storm all needed mods). The twin is the only truck I have that is a stocker, and it's still overkill compared to the other trucks!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:23 AM
kenny_kustom

lets see some action shots or vids on this bad boy....... i think im hooked
Old 08-17-2005, 08:20 PM
MacManInfi

i've been meaning to make a vid for a long time, maybe this will be some incentive to actually do it. I've taken the camera a number of times, but get too busy bashing to do any filming. I'll see what I can do this weekend.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:08 PM
ross_jsy

wouldnt it be easier to have a single carb. and have it split to both motors? i cant remember but does it have the flimsy "wire" roll bar as the normal lightning and if so does that bend easily
Old 08-20-2005, 03:10 PM
MacManInfi

Perhaps. I honestly don't know. I do know that my two motors vary in performance and settings. Each one has a different tune as a result. Is it the carb that requires a different tune, or is it other factors inside the motor? Perhaps one carb would just mean that neither motor would have optimal settings.

It does have a wire roll bar, but I do not know if it is the same roll bar as the lightning. It does not seem flimsy at all to me though. It has never bent. At least it has one (my LST doesn't).
Old 02-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Yamaha9

So how fast would u Guys say (the ppl who own it) ? Faster than an lst or lst2 or a revo? and now the revo 3.3?