Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Hole in the yard$$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 10:33 AM
GElite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole in the yard$$$

Whats up everyone? Man, My Revo is starting to be less fun and more like a hole in the yard that I keep dumping money into! Dont get me wrong, I love the truck but I dont see how anybody can get more than a gallon out of the stock TRX 2.5R engine. I mean some of you guys say your getting 6-8 gallons of fuel before re-sizing, I dont see how, maby 6 to 8 tanks. Are those "To Scale" gallons or what? I sent off 3 piston and sleeve sets to be re-sized and when they came back they were just as good as new. Each set had about a gallon each run thru them and they were shot but they came out of the first nitro engines I have had so I really did'nt know how to maintain them, now I do. Well I still ended up with the same result, about a gallon each. I even bought a 3 Racing head and ran that with the last set, the temp never got over 250 but averaged 190 and I only got about a half gallon out of that one. I ran all 3 as rich as possible the whole time, used after run oil and I only run Traxxas Top fuel 20%. I really hope not all Nitro engines wear out that fast. Im not even gonna bother repairing them. I am gonna buy something that will last a little while and if I wear that one out in a gallon or less Im just gonna trade my T-Maxx and my Revo for a bad ass Helicopter or a plain or something. Anybody got any suggestions as far as what engine I can run on my Revo and T-Maxx that will last a bit longer than a gallon of fuel. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 08-14-2005, 11:31 AM
mdysctt

Default RE: Hole in the yard$$$

I had that problem with Traxxas products, I went to O.S. engine and O'Donnell Racing Fuel. I had much better luck with that setup.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:39 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

running too cold is about as bad as running too hot, try running at the temperature traxxas recommends...
Old 08-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Haulin bass

are you revving the piss out of the engines wot for long periods of time, even at running 190 you should be getting more than 1 gallon.Ive seen engines run without airfilters last a gallon.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:13 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although your maintainance practices are a little suspect, the TRX 2.5 engine is a hard engine to own. It's not a very user-friendly engine.

If you are getting too frustrated with it, pick up a different engine. You should have done that from the start instead of dumping more money into that engine. But at least you got some learning experience from the cheap, stock engine instead of ruining a higher-end model.

If you think that you are comfortable with breaking-in and tuning a nitro engine, then you should upgrade to a larger drop-in engine, such as the O.S. .18, Sirio .18, or even one of the mid-block .21s.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:46 PM
monst@r

My 2.5R is still running strong -- Even after hitting 300 temps frequently.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:59 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: traumahead

My 2.5R is still running strong -- Even after hitting 300 temps frequently.
LOL... 2 TRUE gallons thru my 2.5r... hitting 310 at times... but running around 270-290... still runs (at least, I think it does... haven't run it for a few months now) ... got 1 TRUE gallon thru the RB TM323, and it's still running awesome... I see temps around 250-260 with it.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:00 PM
ThermalRD

There are many things that can wear out an engine fast. How is your air filter maintenance? You get dirt in that engine, or any engine, and you can kiss it goodbye really fast. The 2.5 engines have been good to me. I have never had a problem tuning a 2.5R for 230 degrees and serious performance. Although i do understand your frustration. I know many people have a hard time with them. But one gallon is really bad. Have those all been new engines you're only getting 1 gallon from? Or are they the same engine with re-pinched sleeves each time. If those have all been rebuilds on the same engine, then there are many things that could cause that pre-mature wear. My original Revo engine has about 9-10 gallons on it, and still running. Those were all hard racing gallons since day one.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:22 PM
GElite

I clean the air filter EVERY time I run one of them and I put about 10 drops of oil on the element. One thing about the Revo is that the spur gear cuts a hole in the filter neck almost evert time I run it so it has gotten some un-filtered air due to a big gaping hole in the side of the intake. Not much I can to about that expept stop when I see it has happened. As far as the engines goes one of them was the stock engine that came with my T-Maxx. I ran about a gallon thru it and then it would'nt run anymore once it ran for a min. it would get real hot and flame out and I would have to wait untill it cooled and it would do it again so I picked up a new TRX2.5 on Fleabay and ran it for about a gallon and a half before it did the same thing. During the time that I was runing the engine I got on ebay I bought my Revo and I ran about a gallon or less thru it before it was done. I sent the piston and sleeves out of each engine out to be re-sized and when I got them back I ran about a gallon or less thru each before they were all cashed again. Im definatly gonna pick up a new engine, I just want something that is gonna last a little while longer and if its me then I will do what I said before and get a heli and sell the trucks cause I just can't afford that kinda maint. not the way I like to run them. I run them everyday if they will run. Its not really suprising to me that they don't last long, seems to me like they would run a lot longer if there was a piston ring but what do I know? Do the 4stroke engines have piston rings? Is it possible to run a 4 stroke in a M/T.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:10 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get 4-strokes for 1/10 and 1/8 scale trucks, but they are ringless as well.

The TRX 2.5 is notorious for the problems you are experiencing. Get a better engine and you'll be much happier.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

4-stroke in the 1/10 and 1/8 sizes will have great torque, but hardly any top end. 4-strokes have lower rpm and that is a problem if you like to move fast.