Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Tnx UV's

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 11:58 AM
skate4182

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tnx UV's

Does anyone know any better universal joint sets for the tnx??

The stock ones are too weak. [][&:]
Old 08-19-2005, 01:05 PM
arnee

Default RE: Tnx UV's

Mip has come out with new lightweight cvd s you found those at Towerhobbies.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Please explain to me who in the friggen world would by ALUMINUM CVDs for a MONSTER TRUCK???

OK...some people want featherweight trucks for racing only...I get that. That's why god invented TITANIUM!!! But I'd guess that, oh, 95% of TNXers want their truck to be durable enough to do a bit of bashing at the very least.

Dean
Old 08-19-2005, 02:05 PM
binaryterror

Aluminum is lighter than Titanium...though no where near as strong really.

Though 7075 Aluminum CVD's wouldn't be so weak I guess.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:48 PM
arnee

I ll bet they would hold up just fine.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Tnx_4_life

@ Deandome:

what are u talking about? i bash my TNx with almost everything stock.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Deandome

The stock TNXs (regular & Pro) both use hardened STEEL driveshafts. That's GOOD.

MIP is offering aluminum CVDs for this truck. That's LAME.

Aluminum CVDs are used in 1/10 scale onroad cars, and they ain't that strong THERE. For an MT, I can't see how they'd be worth the $$$...no matter how you slice it, even if it's a purebread racer.

Titanium would be great overall....steel would be great for bashers.

Dean
Old 08-22-2005, 02:02 PM
crusher03

steel and titanium have very similar strenghts, in fact titanium at times is weaker, the main reason its used is its lighter that steel but provides similar strengths.

the mip aluminum cvds should hold up fine. I have had aluminum cvds before and the only prob with them was the pin tended to were. but I do believe mip put a pressed in steel pin for the diff cup side. They also did aluminum to keep rotating mass down. the steel cvds I have on my savage now are heavy, even more than the stock plastic for the tnx.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:06 PM
rscharp

ORIGINAL: Deandome

The stock TNXs (regular & Pro) both use hardened STEEL driveshafts. That's GOOD.

MIP is offering aluminum CVDs for this truck. That's LAME.

You obviously don't know the truck very well. The truck uses PLASTIC and STEEL for the DRIVESHAFTS. The center pieces connecting the two PLASTIC pieces are made of STEEL. If the PLASTIC breaks, you have to buy a new set, or get one off e-Bay. If you get Aluminum driveshafts from MIP or similar, you are increasing the strength of the truck by eliminating the PLASTIC.

Don't call something LAME unless you know it well enough to back up your arguement.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Deandome

All I'm sayin is that, to the best of my knowledge, this is the FIRST and ONLY time aluminum has been used as a material for driveshafts in a MONSTER TRUCK.

Like I said, for the few racers who desperately trying to shed every possible gram, it's probby a good option...no a GREAT option. But for everyone else, I'd take it as a bit of an insult that your truck isn't deemed powerful enough to warrant steel or titanium, the materials used for EVERY OTHER MT driveshaft on the market. MIP seems to be saying "these guys are finesse drivers/serious racers ONLY" and dismissing any of you who bought it to bash around the park & your yard.

Maybe I'm wrong...most of you DO race a lot & very few TNXs are used for bashing & jumping. And I don't hear much about mid/big-block conversions like you do with Maxxes & Revos, people seem happy with their .18s, which is fine...most people overpower their trucks simply because they can.

But considering how MIP is starting to take some heat for thier STEEL CVDs crapping out ('specially Revo & Losi ones), I can't fathom who would spend $120+ on aluminum driveshafts for a monster truck.

Dean
Old 08-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Tnx_4_life

well its better than the stock ones. =\

there are enough transformed TNXs out there. but i think that titanium would be good. But u see almost 0,0 companies make hopups for the TNX. so we are happy with every little product made. well almost every.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:46 PM
double_d

I've had my MIP CVDs for my TNX since they first came out.I have not had one problem with them at all.They are lighter and stronger than the stock axles.Bottom line is they work,I don't care if they are titanium,steel ,or aluminium.They have not failed me yet so,they must know something about this CVD business.Besides they look awesome too.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Tbizz

In defense to aluminum, it'll hold up and be lighter. When you have steel driveshafts usually they aren't hollow in the middle. If you have a bigger diameter shaft the strength goes up tremendously. Often time real car manufacturers will substitute "weaker" alloys for steel and they'll just increase the diameter of the tube to compensate for the weakness. Balee dat

Emenengineer

Tbizz