Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

official gs sut thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 08:58 AM
peed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default official gs sut thread!!

hey everyone, i want to start this thread beacuse i see that the gs sut is getting popular, im planning on getting one.

i searched and i only found official truggy thread, etc, so here we can talk everything about the sut.

pics, videos, you can post anything you want, if its from the sut

what i know, is that you can get aluminum arms from here:
http://mivasecure.abac.com/remotecon...egory_Code=SUS

ALex
Old 07-30-2005, 09:17 AM
fhm101

Default RE: official gs sut thread!!

Not just aluminum replacement arms, but longer aluminum arms. The kit includes lowers, uppers, and CVD's. Here's some pics of my SUT set up without wheel extenders and Panther LP tires. You can use the same wheels with regular size MT tires and no wheel extenders if you want. I always got better turning by not using the extenders.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64403.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	303297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90815.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	303298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98077.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	303299  
Old 07-30-2005, 10:33 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there needs to be a sut thread i love that truck
Old 07-31-2005, 01:58 AM
Haulin bass

Fhm have you tried the hpi nubz tires? Im just wondering if they would clear the mud gaurds with just the 17mm hub from the buggy.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:00 PM
ferdi from Germany

Hi there.

I am German, so my technical vocabulary may not be correct in many cases. I hope you get the ideas though.

My concern is a GS STORM buggy to truggy conversion. The situation is, I have a GS STORM buggy that I like a lot. But there is no ray track anywhere near and so I mostly bash in more or less rough terrain. The buggy lies on its roof every now and then and the bottom of the chassis has suffered quite a bit. A wider wheel base and increased ground clearance would be good ideas. Can you have enough traction?

First I installed OFNA 15mm Hub extensions which didn't improve the handling (the Storm is one of the better Buggies) but the car didn't lie on it's back that often any more. OK so far.
Then I tried OFNA BLAZER SST racing tires which are a good bit wider and taller to get more traction and ground clearance. Sadly though the tires are so big (126mm diameter) that they touch the buggy's sideguards/body when turning AND the suspension is depressed. I like these tires and the Monstert Buggy look but they don't work with this car.

So I am willing to at least partly convert to an SUT. I am absolutely convincec of the quality of GS stuff so I don't want an entirely new car or brand.

What speaks against the GS conversion kit (~$160) though is that I don't really like the body and the tires that much. I would like a "Crowd Pleazer for Revo" body and for example HPI Dirtbonz or Proline Bowties tires much better. Or stick to the Blazer SST tires (which need 17mm hubs). Do I really need the 54teeth main gear? It is raised and raises the centre of gravity. I tried a 13/46 gearage with the SST tires and found the ratio OK. I have 12-18 teeth clutch bells.

But when I calculate a new body, the slimmer mudguards, pro shock towers and tires, I almost end up at the price of the conversion kit which would include a new pro chassis. Then again I wouldn't really dig the tires and body.

What would you do in my place? The engine is an SH PT XB, the newest one with the reddish head.

THX, ferdi from Germany
Old 07-31-2005, 04:13 PM
fhm101

I must have had a brain fart when I posted my last. I forgot to mention that in order to use MT tires on the storm without drive extensions you need to use wide offset wheels. I used the wheels made for the OFNA dominator and had no problems with either the Panther LP's or proline bowties. You will also need to either remove the buggy side guards or replace them with the SUT guards. This will allow you to run most any MT tire on the storm without using drive extensions.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:53 PM
ferdi from Germany

What you say is true but has far reaching consequences: no Buggy sideguards means no Buggy body (because the buggy body is as wide as the buggy sideguards), and a SUT truck body means SUT shock towers... thank God I have an extra set of long shocks so I at least don't have to buy THEM ....

What do you think - if I changed to SUT towers + body and used Dominator rims (wide offset) with MT size tires, will the 13/46 gear ratio of the buggy be hopelessly too long? With the 126mm diametre SST tires I thought it was okay...

Does anyone know of the GS 48 teeth main gear fits the standard buggy middle diff holder?

If I should need the SUT 54 main gear to match regular MT tires, I need the SUT chassis because the 54 teeth gear is wider. The SUT chassis motor mount holes are extended to the left (in comparison to the buggy chassis).

I bought the SUT Pro Shock towers and sideguards for now and will stick to my Blazer SSt tires and wheels for now and use them with the OFNA 15mm hub extensions ... I think I will go for a Crowd Pleazer (for T-MAXX) body.

And folks, sorry to invade the official SUT thread for my conversion questions.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:55 PM
motoxer52

just buy the conversionoff of ebay. simple[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-03-2005, 02:36 PM
ferdi from Germany

As I said before, I am not so terribly into the stock SUT body and tires. I bought the wanted parts on Ebay though - shock towers, stone guards and so on. Part for part. On loose dirt /gravel, the 13/46 gear ratio works well with the Blazer SST tires.
I still have to check how it works on surfaces with high grip. For really big MT tires it will be too long I think.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:00 PM
motoxer52

i use a 12/54 with my tmaxx tires and works fine

does anyone know if u could put the 23mm axles on the sut or not?
Old 08-06-2005, 10:30 PM
motoxer52

i just got some carbon fiber from my dads work and is about .75 mm thick and was wondering what i could do with it. i was thinkg of a servo tray and receiver box and if i have a noth left over a center diff thingy
Old 08-07-2005, 03:47 AM
ferdi from Germany

IMO the advantage of carbon fibre lies in its lower weight, not in it's strength. Like you say, a servo tray ot middle diff plate would be a good application.

I will have to think of something myself... I have the receiver well padded in the receiver box and the 5 cell 6V powerpack lies under a "traverse" (think post and lintel, forgive my lack of technical English) in the right sideguard NOW (the buggy had wider sideguards), and with the slimmer SUT sideguards I will have to make myself a standup powerpack attachment. Well, we'll see about that.

I have one other question. I use the 1,5° lower hinge pin holders in the front for a total of 9,5° kickup (as recommended for bumpy tracks on the GS HP). I have the 3° holders for the rear axis. Do I have to mount them in the same way as in the front, i.e. that the front end of the oin is higher than the rear end OR the other way round, so that the rear end is higher than the front end?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:32 AM
ahmed_carlos_666

hi everybody, can anyone give me thier opinion on the sut because i have a choice between savage 25 and a sut i know there is a big difference but i want the most durable and the faster and the coolest.

any help would be great.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:15 PM
hybridstone

sut=racing only savage=bashing n club racing
Old 08-30-2005, 08:05 PM
monst@r

Hey FHM, what front steering brace is that?
Old 08-31-2005, 03:04 AM
ferdi from Germany

Pleeease answer my hinge pin holder question from above...

I use the 1,5° lower hinge pin holders in the front for a total of 9,5° kickup (as recommended for bumpy tracks on the GS HP). I have the 3° holders for the rear axis. Do I have to mount them in the same way as in the front, i.e. that the front end of the pin is higher than the rear end OR the other way round, so that the rear end is higher than the front end?