TNX Popularity

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 09:09 PM
E-snake
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TNX Popularity

Hey
Guys I am looking at the tnx for a basher. It looks and sounds like a great truck, but not many people seem to have them. I don't want to be buying this truck just to have it discontinued a month later. Is this likley?

Thanks
Ethan
Old 09-22-2005, 09:15 PM
PillowPants

Default RE: TNX Popularity

Cuz... its a frickin tamiya... [&:]
Old 09-22-2005, 10:13 PM
ThermalRD

Snake, i dont think this truck is going to be discontinued anytime soon. Tamiya has just released the TRF suspension conversion for it, and they have some very fast drivers that are doing really well right now. Now, my experience is with the Pro kit, so mine had good shocks already. If you plan on buying this for bashing, i'd reccomend the following.

-Better shocks (unless you get the Pro)
-Rod ends (stock will NEVER hold up to bashing)
-Screw kit (stock screws suck real bad)

Other than that, this truck seems pretty tough. It falls way behind in features, but its easy driving on a track. For a basher though? Questionable... But thats just my opinion.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:27 PM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

Snake, i dont think this truck is going to be discontinued anytime soon. Tamiya has just released the TRF suspension conversion for it, and they have some very fast drivers that are doing really well right now. Now, my experience is with the Pro kit, so mine had good shocks already. If you plan on buying this for bashing, i'd reccomend the following.

-Better shocks (unless you get the Pro)
-Rod ends (stock will NEVER hold up to bashing)
-Screw kit (stock screws suck real bad)

Other than that, this truck seems pretty tough. It falls way behind in features, but its easy driving on a track. For a basher though? Questionable... But thats just my opinion.
It's on this Sunday ThermalRD, time to show that Tamiya the faster driver and truck will always make the Tamiya cry...
Old 09-23-2005, 08:50 AM
arnee

The tnx is a very good basher .This is the best truck I have owned . I really recommend this truck.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:44 PM
E-snake

Thanks
I'll be bashing with it.

Thermal- What do you mean by short on features? It is very similar to the maxx. To me, it just seems like most others. I just like this one because of it's simple layout. While ya, it doesn't have LST shocks, or revo stuff, does that make it a bad basher? Please clarify.

Thanks anyone else's opinions?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:11 PM
ThermalRD

Let me clarify what i meant by lack of features.
-Zero shock mounting adjustments
-No ability to adjust camber
-No ability to adjust caster
-No sealed diffs, will not accept the common silicone diff fluid
-No slots in chassis for gear mesh changes, or gear changes
Aftermarket is very small. The TRF suspension will add those first 3 features i listed. And remember, a screw kit is a must. And again, if you buy the standard TNX, the shocks are pure garbage. None of those features really would affect you from a bashing standpoint. For a racer, they mean alot. You'll want extra spur gears in your pit box, and rod ends. Bashing, i'd guess you will go thru quite alot of those.

ORIGINAL: E-snake

Thanks
I'll be bashing with it.

Thermal- What do you mean by short on features? It is very similar to the maxx. To me, it just seems like most others. I just like this one because of it's simple layout. While ya, it doesn't have LST shocks, or revo stuff, does that make it a bad basher? Please clarify.

Thanks anyone else's opinions?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:46 PM
E-snake

Thanks thermal
It suprises me that a champion truck like the tnx has hardly any tuning options.-kinda sucks
Old 09-23-2005, 07:21 PM
E-snake

also, does anyone know of rear exhaust for the tnx engine? Thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 08:05 PM
ThermalRD

David Jun, and Jacobson are not your average drivers. These guys are world class. I wish they would do some more races with the TNX's though. Any of the races that put them up against Drakes LST, and some of the other fast Revo drivers. Dont get me wrong though. This truck is good. Its proving to be very consistent for me at the track, and its very easy to drive. The TRF suspension will give TNX owners a pivot ball setup, with caster settings as well. As well as several new lower shock mounting positions. At a price of 59-72 dollars. I'll post pics of mine once its installed.

Thanks thermal
It suprises me that a champion truck like the tnx has hardly any tuning options.-kinda sucks
Old 09-23-2005, 08:06 PM
ThermalRD

I've never seen one. Im sure if you search Ebay you'll find something junky made out of copper tubing. Not worth your time, or money though.

also, does anyone know of rear exhaust for the tnx engine? Thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 10:08 PM
blackrain

after you bought the tnx lets say pro version how much more money did you have to put into to get it up to good race standards. lets say like cvds electronics and what other parts could you give me some kind of estimate and what does pro version cost.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:00 PM
ThermalRD

Well, lets see here. I'll start a list for ya.

TNX Pro $425
Kyosho diff grease $20
Hexcrews screw kit $30
RX battery $25
Kimbrough HD servo saver $6
Steering servo $45-108 (Hitec 645 being the cheap servo)
Radio $180+ (This for me just meant i needed another Spektrum RX for my M8 spektrum setup. For someone in need of a radio, i'd suggest the XS3 synth, or the same setup i have M8/Spektrum 300 dollar combo.)

Now, up til this point, i've been practicing with the trucks STOCK servo, and NON TRF suspension. I only recently put the high end futaba servo on, and will hopefully have the TRF soon. So i did not put the TRF on the list of must haves for racing. Simply because its NOT a must have.

ORIGINAL: blackrain

after you bought the tnx lets say pro version how much more money did you have to put into to get it up to good race standards. lets say like cvds electronics and what other parts could you give me some kind of estimate and what does pro version cost.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:12 AM
E-snake

I've never seen one. Im sure if you search Ebay you'll find something junky made out of copper tubing. Not worth your time, or money though.

Ha, I could swet one myself! I know they are **** though.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:46 AM
SWISH

WELL THE TNX IS THE BEST TRUCK I HAVE EVER RAN VERY GOOD TAKE OFF SPEED IT'S WIDE SO IT HANDELS AND PREFORMS WELL AND I KNOW OF ABOUT 6 THAT ARE RAN AT THE LOCAL TRACK SO IT IS SELLING VERY WELL
Old 09-25-2005, 07:52 AM
miniphreak

from a bashing point of view it is a great truck, better than the savage or T-Maxx (both of which i have owned) i havnt raced mine yet, but i have just finnished setting it up for racing, so will be trying it out in a race soon....the post above about the spur gears is correct though, i have replaced quitea few, however they are making the spur gears thicker now and they are much harder to break, i have also broken some of the rod ends, but still have some left from the extras that came with the truck, and i have done a lot of bashing.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:54 PM
HPIgor

Is there any mods or aftermarket rod ends available to strengthen that part or should you just fill your box with rod ends and spur gears?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:02 PM
ThermalRD

There are many companies that have rod ends. Most the TNX guys seem to use Traxxas ends. Which i find pretty funny. The spurs are supposedly updated, and thicker. However i cant get any. They are backordered everywhere, and not even in stock at Tamiya. I would recommend this truck to a collector, or racer with several trucks. I'd never recommend it to someone as their only truck. Tamiya support simply isnt there. I like it alot, but never thought parts were going to be un-available.

ORIGINAL: HPIgor

Is there any mods or aftermarket rod ends available to strengthen that part or should you just fill your box with rod ends and spur gears?