RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

GS Racing SUT

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 09:52 PM
BAMF90
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS Racing SUT

Has anyone heard of or has the GS Racing SUT? What do you guys think of the truck? How fast does it go? Are the parts that come with it any good? What will be some really needed upgrades to do to it to make it faster and more powerful? Is this truck durable? Also is it a good truck for a beginner? Thank you.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:29 PM
Haulin bass

Default RE: GS Racing SUT

defanatly not too beginer friendly.
it needs better hardware out of the box and hing pin brace or you could rip the blocks that hold the arms right off the chassis.
After you have the few bugs worked out its a good truck but its getting dated.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:36 PM
Phillip04
My Feedback: (1)

The SUT is my first truck. Im glad i got it because EVERYONE else has a Revo at my track. I spent 150 on upgrading the wheels and have no trouble beating the Revos around the track or any other truck in the Monster Truck class.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:46 PM
Haulin bass

Thats because its a truggy not a standard MT Huge performance advantage.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:53 AM
xtribe00

I own an SUT and have not regretted it one bit. I bash with a couple buds of mine and have a ball. As far as quality I have had no issues, but did make some minor changes before I ran it.

- I doubled up on the steering plate.
- Cut 1.5 coils off the front shocks to improve handling.
- Changed the diff oil 10K/30/3k Front/middle/rear
- repositioned the front shocks to use the outermost mounting positions on the top and bottom.

Some may say it has issues, but I have yet to own an RTR that did not. Some even have opinions and do not even own one.

I have been in this hobby for 16 years and have learned that it is best to get advice from those that actually have one.

If you want to get more info there is a thread on it at http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=160772

Also there is a new Championship Edition just released by GS.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:23 AM
Haulin bass

Was that directed towards me because if it was, you can see I (thedarkness there) am I common poster there
Old 10-02-2005, 01:48 PM
xtribe00

Haulin Bass, I was not directing anything toward anyone. I am just a bit jaded by those that have strong opinions and have not either owned one or even have touched one. Clearly you do not fall into that category. I wanted to make sure "ilikenitrorccars" got the information he needed, and the link I provided seemed to be the best source for owners.

BTW, I have a Vspec (first generation and has only been broken in) just sitting in a buggy I'd like to get rid of. In your opinion, is there an actual performance gain using the O.S. Vspec vs the Stock GS 25? Does it put out enough Torque, RPM's , and Hp's to turn the SUT's larger wheels and gearing?
Old 10-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Haulin bass

yeah that thread and the storm pro thread on the same site have the best info avialable for thjee buggies/truggies.
I havnt had my gs.25 in a while but from what I remeber the vspec puts out slightly less torque then the .25 but has more rpms and will pull higher rpms under load.What tooth clutch bell are you using for the .25.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:12 PM
xtribe00

I have the stock bell installed. But, I just remembered I actually have the VZB not the newer VSpec. I think the performance specs are similar but OS improved on the quality of Parts and included a turbo head. Oh well I guess I will stick with the 25 until it dies.

It's not a bad engine, but like most guys I am getting a little power/speed hungry.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:46 PM
addictedtonitro
My Feedback: (13)

the gs storm sut (In my opinion) is a great all around truck I have had mine since the day it came out and I have had no problem's with it the truck is more track oriented ( with aftermarket tire's and wheel's) the stock tire's were the first to go way too heavy. And when the motor finally gave out in came the mach .26 and now it is wheelies on command this engine swap would not be the wisest move for a beginner, the truck is almost uncontrollable if you like WFO all the time. And I do agree there are a number of people that like to talk down about them Because it is not a name like traxxas or hpi and the part's are not in supply at the LHS as if it were a T-Maxx or Savage
Old 10-04-2005, 07:21 AM
xtribe00

85Blazer4X4, what is WFO?

One of the problems I was having was a single front wheel coming off of the ground and causing the diff to unwind and the truck to veer to one side or the other depending on which wheel came up.

What I done so far is:
- change the diff oil to 10K/30/3k Front/Middle/rear
- cut about 2 to 3 coils out of the front shock springs(since the front end was sitting too high)

It appears to have stablized the front end a bit. Also I am planning on placing a washer under the servo saver spring to stablize the steering.
My thought is there is too much play in the steering which is causing the front wheel to slightly turn. This occurring at WOT could be a contirbuting factor to a front wheel raising off of the ground.

I am planning on testing this this weekend. Hopefully.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:50 AM
addictedtonitro

Wfo is wide [EDIT] open I corrected my storm by pulling the front diff and tightening the torsion adjustment screw so it is fully locked so it can't put all the power to one wheel and lift it off the ground when cornering It seemed to cure the problem and yes the front is a little high so I put some blue med spring's so it would help keep traction at high speed's. Let me ask you this have you tried playing around with the adjustment screw on the diff's? They make a world of difference when you finally find the adjustment for the terrain you run

INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE:
The use of inappropriate, offensive language or language substitutions are not permitted on RCUniverse.com. Inappropriate or offensive language includes, but is not limited to, any language or content that is sexually oriented, sexually suggestive or abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, or that contains racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind. We ask that you please be considerate to other members in the forums when posting your messages. RCU is a place that is friendly to members of all ages and that parents know is safe for kids. We will not allow linking, mention or reference to any website or organization that contains any of the aforementioned objectionable content. Any posts or links made to websites containing such will be removed and a warning given.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37.../tm.htm#377662
Old 10-04-2005, 07:38 PM
xtribe00

85blazer4x4, I did not realize there the diffs were adjustable. I will have to pull out the documentation and take a look. Does this screw lock the diff (i.e. Posi-traction)? Kinda like the Maximizer Lockers?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:34 PM
addictedtonitro

yes you can set them to have a slight slip to them full slip or you can lock them all the diff's on the truck can be locked give's great traction
Old 10-05-2005, 12:03 AM
badxlt

ha are you guys running the new sut or old and if new how long is the chassis.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:25 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own 2 sut storms, just had to have the black and yellow special addition with chrome wheels cause I am a PGH steeler fan. But I gotta say for what it is worth this is a good running trouble free truck. I did put a mach .21 roto start plate on the motor for 5.00 dollars and use my Lst starter to start it, it was a direct bolt up. I have a question, I have never got my motor over 209 temp, what can I safely run at? Its just not tuned into the power at this point. I always run on the rich side for safety and sacrifice performance at the expense. Personally I like the .25 motor it is very user friendly, and holds a tune well. I made one (stupid) mistake last night I ran 2 tanks without the air filter. I just figured it was in there because im good with maintenance. I **** a brick when i came home to do after run service and noair filter under the cap, I would have kicked my self if i could have!! As far as the Revo thing, I own one of those also but the little 2.5 gives me fits at times, but I still love the truck, It got a new powerplant a .23 rb concept.

Buy the Sut you won't regret it
Old 10-07-2005, 02:03 AM
badxlt

hey just dont get it over 270 but i run mine at 250 and its happy there so you could go more if you need the power
Old 10-07-2005, 07:57 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool!!!!

Thanks dude
Old 10-08-2005, 11:54 AM
imdjenk

I just finished putting my SUT PRO kit together and I dropped a Sportwerks 26 in it. Seems like a pretty solid truck and my LHS stocks GS parts. The only thing I don't like so far is that it has hub extenders instead of longer arms. If anyone knows of any "MUST MODS" for the pro version let me know please, as I will be using it mostly for racing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33239.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	335939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62776.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	335940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60984.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	335941  
Old 10-08-2005, 01:11 PM
dfn_doe

ORIGINAL: imdjenk

I just finished putting my SUT PRO kit together and I dropped a Sportwerks 26 in it. Seems like a pretty solid truck and my LHS stocks GS parts. The only thing I don't like so far is that it has hub extenders instead of longer arms. If anyone knows of any "MUST MODS" for the pro version let me know please, as I will be using it mostly for racing.
Yeah those huub extenders seem like a weak way of widening the wheelbase. Ideally you'd think that they would have used longer arms which would provide an extended suspension travel as well as a being a stronger overall design as it would reduce stresses at the hub especially during hard impacts. The upside to the current design I guess would be allowing you to taylor your track width by choosing different combinations of wheel offset and extender length....
Old 10-08-2005, 09:21 PM
hybridstone

ORIGINAL: imdjenk

Nativeracing make a long arm kit for the sut and gs has an extended chassis for your sut.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:12 PM
imdjenk

I think the pro version comes with the extended chassis already, but I will definitely look into the nativeracing kit. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:05 AM
badxlt

hey i also found that if you put a bolt with a nut on the very out side of you arms so it holds your hubs in and not your hing pins it will hold up beter. i have had a lot of truble with braking off the ends of the arms . but that may just be me.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:34 PM
hybridstone

The rtr and pro both use a buggy chassis the extended chassis was just released on the sut champion and it is 1 inch longer that the pro chassis and it also uses an updated hinge pin set up in place of the a and b blocks that have been known to cause -problems on the sut.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a pro kit coming to me within the next few days. I have an RB .28 to put in it and was wondering if anyone could advise what the best gearing set up would be? The track I will be racing it on has some pretty long straights and most of the hairpins are fairly sweeping, nothing too tight. Any help much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.