Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

NEED HELP

Old 10-04-2005, 12:17 PM
BAMF90
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP

I am still breaking in my Mammoth ST, and I have already ran it 4 times at 3min each time. After each time of running I adjusted the high speed needle valve 1/8 leaner and did 10 min cooling seesions in between each run. The problem is that if i take the glow starter out the enigne dies, if I give the truck to much throttle it dies, and nothing seems to be going right. After about how long is the car supposed to start moving? My dad and I are new to this and I am slowly regretting getting the truck. PLEASE HELP!
Old 10-04-2005, 01:50 PM
badxlt

Default RE: NEED HELP

it is alwas a pan to break in a truck and if it dies when you take the glow starter off it could be a bad plug its hard on pluges when you breaking a car . you are supposed to change the plug when you get finnished breaking it in so try changeing the plug
Old 10-04-2005, 02:14 PM
BAMF90
My Feedback: (1)

Two questions, 1. When will the car start being able to withstand throttle without dying out? 2. How many glow plugs to you estimate I will go through and how much fuel will I go thorough out of a quart? Thanks badxlt! I know who to ask!
Old 10-04-2005, 03:12 PM
DaveG55

First off, let me ask did you read the manual on how the engine maker wants the engine to be broken in? If you have a total of 12 min of run time then it is way too soon for you to have leaned the motor out 1/2 turn already. If you continue at that rate you will kill the motor before you get it broken in.
Yes it can be a real pain to break in a nitro rc engine. If anyone told you differentlt, they lied to you. Depending on what break in method you use you will probably go through at least 4 - 5 tanks of fuel during break in. The first tank is the worst and the second not much better. After that it STARTS to get better but many engines will not reach their full potential untill after a gallon or so of fuel. Yes, you COULD go through several glow plugs during break in but you may only use one. Each engine and situation is different.
If you are completely new to nitro then read, reread and read again the break in and operation section of your owners manual. Follow exactly what it says to do to break in your motor. They are almost always real good about explaining what to do and many even have a troubleshooting section.
Notice, I'm not telling you how to break in your motor? The reason is every manufacturer wants theirs done a different way. One of my trucks said to drive it slowly from the first tank. One said the first tank should be sitting on blocks and idling only. Then there are all of the other break in methods in the nitro community. I can think of four different versions of the so called "heat cycle method". Most of them will work and work well. But, since you're new, use the method your truck/engine maker says to use. You cannot get into trouble if you follow their instructions.
The most important piece of advice I can give you about nitro vehicles in general and, especially, about breaking them in is PATIENCE. Unfortunatly it's also the most dificult thing. I know you want to get out there and run your truck, we all do. BUT, if you want it to work and not just give you more and more problems down the road it has to be broken in. You've taken up a hobby, not a toy and hobbies take a LOT more time and effort than toys.
Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:01 PM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ilikenitrorccars

I am still breaking in my Mammoth ST, and I have already ran it 4 times at 3min each time. After each time of running I adjusted the high speed needle valve 1/8 leaner and did 10 min cooling seesions in between each run. The problem is that if i take the glow starter out the enigne dies, if I give the truck to much throttle it dies, and nothing seems to be going right. After about how long is the car supposed to start moving? My dad and I are new to this and I am slowly regretting getting the truck. PLEASE HELP!
HI I have a mammoth st and as per instructions on break in you lean it to early way to early. Here's what to do... put the high needle screw back to factory settings wich means close it up and open it 3 full turns from the closed position you now should be at the factory settings ( these factory settings can be found in the instuctions). OK lets get going... (I suggest that you put in a new glow plug since were starting all over again). Fill it with fuel & start it up run it around in circles at a very, very low speed just enough to keep it moving and from shuting off (do not give half or full throttle as of yet) do this for the entire first tank, ( it may cut off on you lots of times just restart it and continue this process do not lean it if it shuts off) after fuel is gone from first tank then you lean the high needle in 1/16 of an inch,and then let it cool down for 10min. REFILL the tank with fuel after the 10min cooling period and start the engine repeat the above process for this 2nd tank of fuel & 3rd, 4th, 5th. After 2nd tank of fuel is gone lean it again at 1/16" then let cool down for 10min. Do this until your 4th tank of fuel, at tank 4 you can start giving it some up to half throttle blipps (not full throttle). After tank 4 lean it 1/16" let it cool down for 10min then refill it and start the engine and treat tank 5 the same way as you did tank 4, after tank 5 is gone lean it 1/16" let it cool down for 10min, refill it start it up and give it some full throttle action, after tank 6 let it cool down do not lean, refill start it run it with some full throttle blipps do this for 2more tanks of fuel after this the engine will be more than ready to be adjusted correctly( after all this it should be kinda on the rich side a process for the newbie). Suggestion go to a hobbystore or someone that knows more about how to tune these type of engines. I use trinity fuel with MC9 glow pugs it is a cold plug because I use 30% nitro if you use 20% nitro use a medium plug such as MC8. I hope you can and will use this info, because MAN I SURE DON'T KNOW HOW TO TYPE[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 10-04-2005, 09:16 PM
emu

They are really rich outa the box lean the HSN 1/2 turn and see what happens.

Prob need to lean the LSN also..

-emu
Old 10-05-2005, 12:13 AM
badxlt

do not turn the high speed in tight it will break off the point and you will never get a toon just snug not tight.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:20 PM
jombo

1 does it idle ok,if it does leave low speed needle alone.2 if giving it full throttle and then it dies it may be too lean. 3 removing the glow igniter and then it dies the plug sustained temps over 300 deg during breakin. its ok just change the plug and richen the mix(high speed needle)counter clockwise 1/4 turn.4 invest in a temp gun 24 dollarsat tower hobbies the blue duratrax one works great .
the 24.7 motor (after breakin)likes to run around temps at 255, 265,verry happy at those temps.also you need at least 10 full tanks befor its fully broken in.good luck and happy stomping.
ps. after breakin my hsn is at 3-1/8 out and lsn flush with the housing.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:22 AM
badxlt

it has been said that you motor itnt completly broke in tell about a galon and then you will see the best power that what i have been told. and i think its a bad ideah to just to copy someone elses needle settings all motors run differnet so dont just go and copy them down. use them as a ideah.