RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

True Newbie Help, please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Greaper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Newbie Help, please!

Hello,

I am trying to determine the best route to go with deciding what to buy. I have looked all over this forum and have read all the questions about which is best. Seems fairly well split between a certain few if I was to go with a MT. Seems the Savage 25, Revo, MGT, LST and Savage 4.6 are all favored.

The only remote control I have is a Heli, Raptor 30v2. I would like to get into RC vehicles and am not sure if I should go with a Buggy or an MT.

My plan is to run it in my yard, my street and at the local school grounds. Would like to do some small stunts, but I do not believe I see myself getting into Bashing like I see in the video's.

So I guess my question is, what would I be better of with, and MT or a buggy? If the answer is buggy, some suggestions would be appreciated. Is OFNA a good brand?

G[sm=confused.gif]
Old 10-11-2005, 04:14 PM
DaveG55

Default RE: True Newbie Help, please!

I would suggest the MT route. If you're going to be doing the yard thing you will, IMHO, be better off with the higher ground clearence most MT's offer. Most MT's (and buggies for that matter) that are RTR will come with a 2 or 3 ch, pistol grip style radio in one of the ground frequencies. Your heli radio would be serious overkill for a MT/buggie. If you're more comfortable with the stick style radio you could probably get a rx that would work in the MT as long as your heli radio is not in the 72mhz range.
The Revo is a good RTR choice and if you want to do the kit thing, the Savage 4.6ss is a good choice.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Greaper

Thank you for the input. My yard and the school yard are both relatively smooth, just not flat.

As to using my heli remote, I was not planning on it, especially since I am planning to sell the whole thing.

Also was planning to let my boys use it as well.

G
Old 10-11-2005, 04:37 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with Dave... Revo is a good RTR... and since there are only a few companies that make kits... the Savage 4.6ss is a great choice.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Trbo323

Welcome back to land,

Ill have to agree with RF the Traxxas trucks are great to learn on, since your not gunna be doing much bashing the plastic will more than likely hold up, Im shure RF can recomend plenty of upgrades when you get to that stage, Look around on e bay you can usually find some good deals.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:22 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Trbo323

Welcome back to land,

Ill have to agree with RF the Traxxas trucks are great to learn on, since your not gunna be doing much bashing the plastic will more than likely hold up, Im shure RF can recomend plenty of upgrades when you get to that stage, Look around on e bay you can usually find some good deals.

Actually, except for a few slight mods... and an engine, my truck is stock... still have stock A-arms and everything... the only few upgrades I've done to my Revo are in my sig. I can recommend some good upgrades, however everyone has their own feeling about upgrades. Personally, I don't like to upgrade unless it's necessary. I have snapped 3 sets of A-arms in the year I've had it... total cost $21. RPM A-arms are $55+ for the entire truck depending on where you get 'em. Justification of cost is not there. *shrug* But, yes... I and plenty others on here would be more than willing to suggest different upgrades.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:06 AM
DaveG55

I too am of the "upgrade only when necessary" opinion. Note that that opinion does NOT apply to upgrading engines. Extra power can be considered "always necessary".
My only thought on the "cost justification" angle would be if I can replace a problem part with one that does not break, like RPM arms, then I factor in the "it broke, now I have to go home" issue. On my LST, after I broke A-arms the second time I got RPM ones but only for the front as I've never broken the rear ones. I know that the rpm arms have let me keep running several times when the stockers would have broken. So. to me, they were worth the extra cost.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:25 PM
mayhem272

yea only if ur serious should u go with a buggy for a few reasons
they are pricey for a decent buggy
the ofna buggies arent that great they dont have the greatest engines and there radio gear is terrible
mgt 4.60 is a cool truck looks nice
lst is the bentley of all rc's
has a great truck,radio and engine
all for $600
good luck it is hard to choose!
Old 10-20-2005, 09:21 AM
Narf

IMO go the MT. I have an OFNA (Ho Bao) Monster Pirate which is great for thumping around in the yard or in the street. Just dont go doing anything to serious without upgrading the difs. They WILL break. Ive upgraded to torsen diffs front and rear and havent busted one since. I must disagree with the engines being a downfall. The Hyper 21 flogs along when tuned correctly and is actually one of the most reliable engines Ive owned. I dont race or anything but I do give my truck a hammering. All Ive managed to break (aside from the difs) so far is the lower A arms from running into a wall at WOT. Not a very nice thing to happen. For some realy interesting fun take out the front drive drive shaft. 2wd snakey fun!! BTW if you do go down this path, the Nosram 28 makes a fantastic engine upgrade