RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Revo vs Savage SS (AGAIN!!!!!) Sorry....

Old 10-20-2005, 09:09 PM
lynntonyd
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Revo vs Savage SS (AGAIN!!!!!) Sorry....

I can’t believe it either but I still can’t make up my mind. I’ve read all the forums, websites, reviews and I still can’t choose between the Revo and the Savage SS. I need to know which is best for ME. These two are the only ones I am looking at since my local shop carries them and I prefer to keep my business local.

I’m a 35 year old mechanical engineer so tinkering appeals to me. I’ve had electric RD buggies in the past, like 10 years ago. Right now I fly nitro planes for fun and a MT seems like a lot of fun. It will be used in my yard and woods near me just for weekend fun. I tend to buy more than I need because I don’t like to upgrade later. Hops ups are fine, I just don’t want to sell the truck next year to get something better.

Here’s my breakdown. I’d like advice on my ideas and help deciding which is best for my needs.

Revo:
Comes assembled which is no hassle for a noob like me.
Complete with reverse which I feel is a good thing to have.
I hear good things about the handling.
Tons of aftermarket parts available.
Motor seems fast enough.
Comes with radio and on board battery.
Comes with radio but I tried one and it feels cheap. (It is cheap)
Wheel/tire combo seems well suited for rocks, roots, grass etc.
Super deal complete for about $450.

Savage SS:
Comes in pieces so a geek like me can enjoy assembling it this winter.
Big motor so I won’t ever need to upgrade it.
I get to buy my own radio, but will end up paying $120 for a good one.
Reverse is a $30 option plus another servo.
Tires with pins don’t seem to be best for my terrain (?)
Chassis seems taller with higher center of gravity.
Gonna end up costing me $650 by the time I get the truck kit, radio, servos, reverse module etc
Uses pull start? I’d prefer not to use that.

Does that seem accurate? Are the parts like gears, brakes, diff, axles etc any better on the SS for the price?
Which is more “fun” just messing around in the yard jumping steps and rocks?
Which will spend less time on its back?
I guess I won’t ask about durability because they both sound well built and I don’t plan to jump 40 foot gaps. I don’t plan on breaking anything unless I do something dumb that neither would survive 100%.
If $$ was no object which would you choose? (Truck only, forget the radio)
Which am I less likely to want to replace the shocks, linkages etc sooner? Which is more “hopped up” out of the box and why?

Sorry about the life story….. and thanks for the advice
Old 10-20-2005, 09:15 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Revo vs Savage SS (AGAIN!!!!!) Sorry....

Just flip a coin.... They are both great rc's
Old 10-20-2005, 09:15 PM
A.B.U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmmm.. If you even HAVE the Savage SS in mind, get the LST, because you get even more of a deal with the LST, SUPER NICE radio, RELIABLE engine, and it's HUGE man. But, between those, I'd get the Revo.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:37 PM
DaveG55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AnotherBoringUsername

Hmmm.. If you even HAVE the Savage SS in mind, get the LST, because you get even more of a deal with the LST, SUPER NICE radio, RELIABLE engine, and it's HUGE man. But, between those, I'd get the Revo.
What he said. Only look at the LST2. Also while I have had no experence with HPI's warranty service I can tell you 100% that both Traxxas and Horizon (Losi's parent co.) are fantasticly helpful if you have problems!! That's not to say that my Savage does not break, just that I've never tried to get warranty service as nearly everything that's broken has been my fault and I won't try to claim that.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:48 PM
bigwobbely

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have a revo and it is great, i 2 was in your shoes with not being able to make up my mind but in the end the fella at the lhs talked me into the revo which was my 2nd choice after the rtr savage. as far as the roll over factor i have heard that the savage rolls very easy, but i cant say yes or no i have never driven 1. the revo does roll over on the street if u turn 2 fast but so will m rustler. all in all i like my revo alot, i guess it is kind of like ford/chevy. well just my 2 cents choose well and then have fun
Old 10-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Desert Racer
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will ask yourself this do you want a trucka pain to work on and handles like crap if so get a salvage. I have a revo and dont regret one thing I have out bashed savages with it. I am fast as a 8th scale nitro buggy with my collari that is. So I say get a revo. It is a great fast strong truck. It will hold up to the abuse of your driving. If you make a mistake say hit a curb at 20mph most likely it will be a arm you have to replace ont he revo. I savage is sssssllllllloooowwww and cant turn in a 40 acre field. So I say get a revo because it seems to me if you get the savage you will be adding stuff to it were the revo is at stock and then some to be able to keep up with the revo.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Crazy Canuck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bought a Revo, all it did was break. Buddies have LST's, all they do is break. Sold my Revo and bought a Savage SS, nothin breaks...doesn't corner as well as a Revo, but has tons of power, is extremely reliable, can take a S**T kicking and comes looking for more. IMO reverse is a waste of money it just ends up breaking anyways. Parts on the SS, again IMO are way tougher than the stock Revo parts. Half the fun of owning one of these MT's is tinkering, so building one gives you the knowledge on what goes where and how to get to it, you already have seen it apart and are familiar with how it all meshes together. But, I found working on the Revo easier than working on my Savage. As far as more fun, again Savage...but that's just me and what I have seen. At the end of the day, after a good bash session, the Savages are usually left unscathed. If you want better handling out of the Savage, remove a shock from each corner and use lighter springs, mine corners pretty good when it's set-up like that.

Cheers[8D]
Old 10-30-2005, 02:10 PM
flatout->

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I own a Revo. Traxxas products are long on innovation and short on quality. I am considering a savage LE
Old 10-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Desert Racer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok this is like a ford to a honda. You want something fast and durabilty. Yes I know I do so I got a revo. Do you want something easy to work on I know I do so I bought a revo. If you want a good solid strong truck GET A REVO. I have seen 10 salvages on my track and they all suck have a top speed of 25 and yes they were all differnet some 4.6 ss 25 one even had a collari in it and it was slow. A svage is a basher take that back a revo is a basher and a racer if you disagree I will out bash you plain and simple HPI SUCKS
Old 10-30-2005, 05:19 PM
RenegadeRevo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Spurface

I own a Revo. Traxxas products are long on innovation and short on quality. I am considering a savage LE
I disagree.... my Revo is mostly stock... and very high on quality.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:02 PM
hybridstone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BEEN THERE WRECKED THAT

Ok this is like a ford to a honda. You want something fast and durabilty. Yes I know I do so I got a revo. Do you want something easy to work on I know I do so I bought a revo. If you want a good solid strong truck GET A REVO. I have seen 10 salvages on my track and they all suck have a top speed of 25 and yes they were all differnet some 4.6 ss 25 one even had a collari in it and it was slow. A svage is a basher take that back a revo is a basher and a racer if you disagree I will out bash you plain and simple HPI SUCKS
HPI SUCKS! HUH! TRAX ASS SUCKS!!! how about the all plastic drivetrain on the revo!! LOL plastic drivetrain hmmm isn't that a little radio shack and the skinny little arms that break all the time!!!!! and why is it that most revo owners complain about not enough power off the line!! o ya cause the little trx engine sucks!!!!and traxxass didn't even bother upgrading the crappy little 2 gear diffs they just took a problamatic area from the t-maxx and carried it over to the REVLOW!! great enginering there huh!!Face it the savage is a man's truck and the revo is for kids!!! FLAME ON REVOLOVERS LOL!!!!!
Old 10-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Desert Racer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dude blow it out your ass any time or any where lets go buddy
Old 10-31-2005, 12:53 AM
RenegadeRevo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hybridstone

ORIGINAL: BEEN THERE WRECKED THAT

HPI SUCKS! HUH! TRAX ASS SUCKS!!! how about the all plastic drivetrain on the revo!! LOL plastic drivetrain hmmm isn't that a little radio shack and the skinny little arms that break all the time!!!!! and why is it that most revo owners complain about not enough power off the line!! o ya cause the little trx engine sucks!!!!and traxxass didn't even bother upgrading the crappy little 2 gear diffs they just took a problamatic area from the t-maxx and carried it over to the REVLOW!! great enginering there huh!!Face it the savage is a man's truck and the revo is for kids!!! FLAME ON REVOLOVERS LOL!!!!!
Who gives a flying crap whether the drivetrain is made of plastic? It's strong... Do you have a Revo? I do... and I bash mine all the time... NEVER had a problem with the plastic drivetrain... only problems I've had were spur gears, and that was because I didn't set the mesh right. The diffs are fine.... got 3.5 gallons on one of mine... and 2 on the other... I hate that people always say plastic sucks... I'm sorry to say it... but your Salvage... it has plastic parts (and yes, I did spell it that way on purpose)... the Salvage breaks, too... I've only replaced 3 sets of A-arms in the year I've had mine... and 2 of those sets were from going WOT into an immovable object... so, don't give me that "weak A-arm" crap. The 2.5r has plenty of power to propel the Revo... some just prefer to have MORE power. (such as myself) I've never heard a Revo driver complain that it doesn't have off-the-line power... the only complaint is that it doesn't wheelie off the line... and that's just fine.... it wasn't really meant to (of course, if you had the right clutch, it would...)
Old 10-31-2005, 06:12 AM
flatout->

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Revo transmissions are vunerable to failure. My gearbox has been rebuilt twice, once by my lhs and once by myself. The reverse gear stripped completely the first time around. I thought this may be covered under traxxas warranty, but apparently not, I was told it was a "consumable" part. My lhs couldn't identify the reason for failure, they only suggested that I may have knocked the trim on the handset making the optidrive ineffective which could have allowed it to shift into reverse whilst rolling forward. This may have happened once or twice at the most, at less than walking speed. Either way, it took very little to immobilise my truck. I have since disconnected the optidrive because I don't trust it anymore. The second time around both primary and forward gears stripped completely. I am still unsure why this happened, the rest of the gearbox seems to be fine. All this has happend in less than 2 gallons of fuel with the stock engine.

Since it's last rebuild I have had no problems (knock on wood). However, I feel traxxas has hit a bum note in trying to save weight/cost? in filling their transmissions with 'plastic' gears. There is certainly room for improvement regards durability. I might consider a savage or an LST for my next purchase.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:58 AM
RCDadChicago
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This always turns into a huge argument anywhere its asked. The simplest explanation I've heard is racers prefer the Revo whereas bashers prefer the Savage.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:00 AM
gerwen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok folks, we need to keep it civil in here. You're not helping wugak by bashing each of the manufacturers. Manufacturer bashing is against RCU policy.
Wugak has done his homework and making him sift through your bashing isn't doing him any favours. He asked a specific question. Looks like some of you folks only read the thread title.

ORIGINAL: wugak

Does that seem accurate? Are the parts like gears, brakes, diff, axles etc any better on the SS for the price?
Which is more “fun” just messing around in the yard jumping steps and rocks?
Which will spend less time on its back?
I guess I won’t ask about durability because they both sound well built and I don’t plan to jump 40 foot gaps. I don’t plan on breaking anything unless I do something dumb that neither would survive 100%.
If $$ was no object which would you choose? (Truck only, forget the radio)
Which am I less likely to want to replace the shocks, linkages etc sooner? Which is more “hopped up” out of the box and why?

Sorry about the life story….. and thanks for the advice
Savage is more hopped up out of the box, since it is an SS kit. How much of a difference it will make is unclear. There are a few commonly done hop ups on the savage like upgrading the thottle linkage, fuel tank, and sometimes an aluminum clutch. The stock shocks are as good or better than any of the hop-up shocks you can get. The only thing i've replaced on mine is the clutch.

Both trucks would probably suit you in the back yard. The revo is a better racer if that's in your future. The savage can race too, and contrary to what some might have you believe, it can be a capable one as well. You can compete with revos in local club racing where it's more about driving skill, than truck and setup. You will be at a disadvantage though. A savage is really not difficult to work on, i found a t-maxx much more frustrating to wrench on. The TVP design *seems* tough to work on from a glance, but really you can have the truck apart by only removing a few screws. I really can't comment on how the Revo is to work on.

Savage has the rep for being the toughest truck around. It's well deserved. I've done dumb stuff with mine, and it's survived without a break so far. Revo from what i've seen is very tough too.

They're both excellent trucks with an (obviously) rabid following. Savage usually gets the nod for a pure basher, while the Revo gets recommended when you see racing in your future. Each can do the other respectably too.

Get the truck that appeals the most to you for whatever reason. Neither is a mistake.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:41 PM
RenegadeRevo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gerwen
Get the truck that appeals the most to you for whatever reason. Neither is a mistake.
Now, I can agree with that.

Spurface - I will give you that the reverse gear is a weak point in the Revo transmission, however that doesn't make the whole transmission suck. I will tell you, I've done the FOC in my Revo, and I recommend it to anyone. My 2-speed tranny is BULLETPROOF. Ask around... the only people that have problems with the tranny are those who still have reverse. Personally, I don't mind not having reverse... it works for me. I was one of those die hard reverse fans... until my reverse crapped out on me. Then, I ran it without... and didn't miss it one bit. Now, the Revo runs GREAT with FOC.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:04 PM
RayRayraycer20

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gerwen always puts it into perspective.....great post I could not agree more.
I have beat the piss out of my revo...the only thing that has failed me was a rear diff (too many back flips). I have a full set of RPM arm's hanging on the pegboard ,In case I break one of the stock one's. They have been hangin there for 4 month's .....
Old 10-31-2005, 08:09 PM
proudamerican

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lets settle this once and for all BUY BOTH!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 05:51 AM
flatout->

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why has nobody mentioned the MGT 4.60?? I don't own one but they have rave reviews
Old 11-01-2005, 10:34 AM
alvinl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Spurface

Why has nobody mentioned the MGT 4.60?? I don't own one but they have rave reviews

I have not had a chance to drive an MGT 4.6 but I know someone who just purchased one. He started breaking it in last Sunday and is suppose to drive with us this Sunday. It is a very clean design. All the parts are easy to get to and that 4.6 seems like it is going to be a beast. Should be a very easy truck to work on and it looks like they have strenghened the chassis from earlier versions of the MGT.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:45 AM
flatout->

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thunder Tiger are currently selling the same truck over here RTR for £279.00

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...r_picture=true
Old 11-01-2005, 11:12 AM
lynntonyd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow, this is much better. I was going to ask the mods to lock down this thread because it has degraded into a flame war.

Until recently nobody had read my first post. I'm trying to find the best truck for ME, to suit MY needs given who I am and what I plan to do with it.

Like I said I am limited because I want to buy from my LHS and they carry Traxxas and HPI. I think they can get Losi so the LST2 may be added to my list.

The only reason the HPI SS is on the list is because it is a kit. Can anyone tell me how long it would take to build? I would guess a week of 2-3 hours a night? If so then I am paying kind of a lot of $$ for the privilege of building it. In my research it appears the Losi is !QUOT!better!QUOT! in many ways for about the same, or less cash. !QUOT!Better!QUOT! means it comes with many !QUOT!hop ups!QUOT! and things like steel gears, alum housings etc. Of course Traxxas is the cheapest alternative and its an awesome truck. Might be the best first truck for me.

They all seem to have a great rep and following.

I'm still no closer to a decision......
Old 11-01-2005, 11:30 AM
flatout->

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why dont you order from a large stockist, that way you will have a much better choice ?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:04 PM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was recently in your shoes, and in the end got the Savage 25 RtR. I live in Germany though, and a big part of the reason was spare and tuning parts availability.

I bought mine at a hobby trade fair about a month ago, and had a good look at both, and for me the Savage just looks like a better quality product.

And based on my experience, it definitely is an awesome thing. Sometimes my friend I drive with and I are kind of in awe at what it can take. Yeah, it doesn't corner so great, and it's kind of tricky to work on(this is my first truck, so it's still all a bit Chinese to me..), but man it's SOLID. Mine's not even an SS, and after about a gallon over the last month I'm just starting to feel comfortable controlling it at full gas.. The thing is awesome.

So, based on what you said you want to do - i.e. driving in your backyard and the woods(that means "bashing"), the Savage would definitely be a good choice. I can't speak for the Revo, but it still makes me laugh to think of how fast I smashed my Savage into a tree full on(misjudging a hill for a jump..) a couple of weeks ago, and then how yesterday I did the same thing into a wooden ramp at WOT. The Savage landed upside down, still running. I had a look at it, saw that nothing was broken(or even really scratched..), rolled it over and kept on going.. Well, til I noticed that THE RAMP was broken..

Which brings us back to a previous comment that I had also read while researching what was the right truck for me: Savage for bashing, Revo for racing(same with LST). The latter two are perhaps more technically innovative or impressive, but that could end up meaning more delicate, higher maintenance, etc.. What you really want is a truck that'll fly off a cliff, and keep going.

And that's the Savage.

The Savage even looks like it enjoys being beaten. It seems to PLEAD for it.. Something in its stance while in the air...

Based on my experience, the bashing/racing comment was definitely good advice.

Savage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy