Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Finally came up with two trucks i like.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Finally came up with two trucks i like.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 07:56 PM
BAMF90
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally came up with two trucks i like.

I am new to the rc world and this will be my first truck. I wanted the XTM Mammoth and then REVOFAMILY talked me out of it. Then I wanted the Mammoth ST, but my friend has that and I don't want to copy him. So now I am deciding between the Sportwerks Mayhem ST and the XTM X-Cellerator. What do you guys think, which one is the better choice? The price isn't really a factor here, but yeah the X-cellerators price is very good, and I'm sure the Mayhem ST's price is good too, but it depends on what it means your getting. Which one of the two would you guys recommend? I don't really care for "bashing" or "racing" but I just want to "have fun" with my truck.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:29 PM
RenegadeRevo

Default RE: Finally came up with two trucks i like.

I'm staying out of this one... I don't know much about EITHER one.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:55 PM
DaveG55

I don't know about those either. But, I'd say pick the one that your LHS supports with stocked parts. Weather you bash (and you will) or race or just have fun - you will break parts. It really sucks to have to order parts and wait days for them to come in. So, pick the one that will make you wait the least.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:01 PM
BAMF90

well my lhs has the mayhem st in stock, and the lhs that has it i really trust so i will probably go with the mayhem st, btu the price, it just hurts, being a kid
Old 10-17-2005, 09:03 PM
RenegadeRevo

I'm still not sure how you came to that conclusion... neither of those trucks are built for bashing... or as you say "just playing around" ... but I agree with Dave... find which one your LHS supports 'cause waiting for parts sucks. LOL
Old 10-17-2005, 09:05 PM
BAMF90

I dont want to bash, i said that i just want to play with my truck, not kill it
Old 10-17-2005, 09:07 PM
BAMF90

i will jump it now and then but i will not throw it off the sears tower[&o]
Old 10-17-2005, 09:20 PM
RenegadeRevo

Understood... (of course, that's what I said about my Revo too... now look at me... ) It's just that for just messing around... I think both of those would be overkill... they are meant to be racers... and you could probably find a better suited truck for what you are looking for, HOWEVER... to each his own... and as I said before... go with the one your LHS supports the most... 'cause it sucks to be waiting for parts when they break.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:31 PM
BAMF90

i will go with something my lhs has. But i have one question, u seem very experienced, if u were buying a car right now, ur first one, and you were a kid my age (13), what car would you pick, price range $0-500, but please no revo, or t-maxx
Old 10-17-2005, 09:32 PM
BAMF90

no offense to revo or t-maxx but i dont want a common truck, if u know what i mean
Old 10-17-2005, 11:40 PM
rscharp

ORIGINAL: ilikenitrorccars

i will go with something my lhs has. But i have one question, u seem very experienced, if u were buying a car right now, ur first one, and you were a kid my age (13), what car would you pick, price range $0-500, but please no revo, or t-maxx
If you want something that is unique, see if your LHS carries parts for the TNX. It is not really common, and is still a great truck. There is the regular version for around 340 and then there is the Pro version with a bunch of hop-ups for 450. The engine is an OS (best company IMO for engines) on both trucks and the truck overall is a winner. Give it a look.

Otherwise, I would recommend the new MGT for you, if the LHS carries it. Again, a solid truck and great for the beginner, while being able to be hopped up to race status.

See what brands your LHS carries, then make your decision. Not only will it suck to have to wait for parts when they break, you will not have someone to talk to about your truck if they dont stock it.

On a side note, can you guys beleive that the owner of my LHS didnt know that there is a newer version of the MGT out and a Pro version of the TNX? He also doesnt beleive me about the Hellfire from HPI. Needless to say I only buy fuel there...
Old 10-18-2005, 01:38 AM
RenegadeRevo

LOL... well, the "common" trucks are common for a reason.... they're good. BUT... I agree with Nex2stupid... the less common "good" trucks are the TNX or the MGT... both of them seem to be pretty good trucks... however, I don't think they are as durable as a Savage, LST or Revo. If you can find one for cheap, an LST would be a great truck... I saw somewhere that it was $499... I don't remember where... but maybe some LST guys can tell ya.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:33 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy a TNX off of ultimate hobbies with free shipping for under 300.00 one fantastic truck, I own one and it has proven itself to bevery tough durable and fast. The MGT you could probabally pick one up off of them for in the 300. range and free shipping. Ultimate hobbies is great to deal with. Just make sure your local hobby dealer carries parts for these trucks.

I know it sounds ignorant, not buying form your local hobby shop, but hey when you can save 60.00 or more. I mean Im not made of money, and work hard for what i get. But i use hbby shops for parts when I need them.

good luck
Old 10-21-2005, 08:44 PM
imdjenk

If it helps make up your mind, I don't own a Mayhem ST but I've seen one run and in stock form it is faster than ANY one of the trucks mentioned in this thread, Guaranteed. (I can't say about the new MGT because I've never seen one run, nor do I know what engine and gearing it comes with) Mayhem is a center-diff based one speed though.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:45 PM
BAMF90

Is one speed bad?
Old 10-21-2005, 11:26 PM
J_Bone

I would get the Sportwerks Mayhem ST!! I have driven one and it's sweet!! When setup for bashing, it has more travel than a revo. My buddy has one asnd he owned 2 Revo's that he compaired one to the ST. If you do race it, tires are the only upgrade you need. The stock tires work great for bashing.
I would take it over my TNX too!!
Old 10-22-2005, 09:44 AM
A.B.U

ORIGINAL: ilikenitrorccars

Is one speed bad?
No... it's easier to work on. Think a 1 speed as an automatic car in 1:!, and a 2 speed as a manual 1:1 car. You can hear the manual shift, etc. The 1 speed you can't, and relies on less gears to get it to a high top speed, and regear it ad it'll either accel faster, or have a higher top speed. On a 2 speed, you just change the shift point, but it's possible to change gearing for your own intents.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:00 PM
b@5her

like the guy above said ,1 speed is deffinately not a bad thing as having a centre diff takes all the shock loadings out of the transmission as drive only goes to the wheel with the least traction, so you can land however you want without worrying about slipper clutches or spurs etc. Personaly i'm a 1/8 buggy man but from what i've seen at my local track both the revo and savage seem to be fairly durable ,on the pther hand i have never seen an lst last the day without a breakage (arms and driveshafts seem to break with monotonous regularity) oersonaly i would go for the mayhem ST seeing as its buggy based and almost certainly tougher than any MT you can buy .
Old 10-22-2005, 10:50 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

check out the new mgt...
Old 10-23-2005, 03:04 PM
mayhem272

umm mayhem st dont go for the acelerator thing
it has a really really erally powerful motor! gofor it
u can now get it with the spektrum dx3 radio for $550!