Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

My Monster Truck, Need your help!

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

My Monster Truck, Need your help!

Old 11-02-2005, 03:43 AM
!monsterhobby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Monster Truck, Need your help!

I have a new 1:6 Smartech Tornado Truck, but i am also a new driver, so i do not know the effect of three screws of the engine(please see the picture with A/B/C. Can you explain the purpose of each of these screws, and the effect each has on the engine running when turned in a clockwise and ani-clockwise direction?

Thank you for your help!

P. Noll

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54566.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	347493  
Old 11-02-2005, 08:23 AM
gerwen

Default RE: My Monster Truck, Need your help!

A) is your idle stop. It sets the opening of the carb at idle. Clockwise should be higher idle speed. Usually a set it and forget it screw. Once you get a decent idle speed you can leave this alone.

B) is your High speed mixture needle, or HSN. Controls Rich/lean at speed. Clockwise makes it leaner. This needle you will be tweaking all the time. Changing conditions require retuning your engine. Start at whatever settings the manual says, and start going clockwise from there, 1/8th of a turn at a time, keeping an eye on performance, smoke, and temps. Search here at RCU and google for nitro tuning guides.

C) Hard to tell without knowing the engine. If there is another screw on the opposite side of the carb where the rubber boot is, then this is what is called the mid speed needle. Something you should set to what the manual recommends, and leave it there until you have a much greater understanding of tuning. It is a subtle adjustment but messing with it can throw your tuning out of whack if you don't know what you're doing.

If there is no screw opposite C), then it is your Idle mixure, or LSN (low speed needle). It controls the fuel mixture at idle. Needs to be tuned infrequently once set up. Controls how well your car will idle, and how much punch it has off the line. Usually sensitive to changes. Clockwise = leaner. If this is out of whack it can make your engine hard to start. Again, search for a tuning guide to learn how to properly tune your LSN.

When i say set it to what the manual recommends, i mean if you've moved them already. If not, just leave them how they came.

Here is a diagram illustrating the needles' position a little better. Typical 3-needle carb. Top-down view.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:16 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pretty good link to an article on engine tuning> http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/ht_tunengine_01.asp
Old 11-02-2005, 09:15 PM
!monsterhobby

Thank you, i know how to adjust them now.

Attached Images