Airplane guy getting first MT

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 08:20 PM
localbuyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airplane guy getting first MT

Hi All:

My RC experience has been all Nitro/E airplanes so far. I am looking for a MT this winter
so I can burn some nitro at my backyard while the weather is not suitable for flying.
I am not going to race nor bash, just run on dirt or snow.

I am about to get a Tamiya TNX Nitro RTR since it's about $309 with OS engine. My questions will be
1) What else do I need to get ? I have a Hobbico electric starter for plane. Can I just use the it
to start?
2) Is temp gun necessary?
3) Can I just use my 15% airplane fuel and the same airplane 2S glow plug?
4) Any parts I should get for Tamiya TNX?

Thanks all...
Old 11-22-2005, 08:41 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Airplane guy getting first MT

1) the tnx has a electric starter built in
2) no, but a usefull tool
3) no.. only use nitro car fuel.. it has oil mixed in with the fuel to keep the temps down
4) power stroke shocks.. the stock shocks are crap..

good luck!
Old 11-22-2005, 08:46 PM
DaveG55

#1. You should not need to use your plane starter. If you're buying new then the TNX comes with an electric starter. You'll need a 7.2v flat pack (Radio Shack has a 2000mah one for like $8) and a charger for the battery. But, to answer your question, if you're asking about the cone style starter that spins the prop, then no, I don't think it will work.
#2. Not necessary, especially since you're familier with tuning nitro planes, but very handy to have for quick checking.
#3. According to Tamiya, that engine will work on 15% fuel but 20% will work better, just watch your oil content 12% - 18% is a good range. I don't know about your glow plugs. OS 8's and McCoy MC9's & 59's are pretty commonly used in MTs.
#4. Cannot help you with this one, sorry.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:06 PM
hybridstone

You'll need to upgrade the spur gear! the stock tnx one wears real easy!! try to find an aftermarket spur some of the tnx nuts can help ya on part#s only use car fuel! and a hot plug mc 59 is perfect if your just bashing in the yard prolineshock's are not needed! o yeah drive it like you stole it!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:12 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

Car Fuel Facts
Written by: Horizon Engineering Manager John Adams

Article Type: How-Tos
Posted: 4/20/2004
Copyright:

If you read the R/C car magazines, engine instruction manuals or talk to local racers, you'll likely find conflicting information about car fuels. The main controversy seems to focus on how much and what type of oil is needed for a car fuel.

Here the straight scoop based on over 15 years of experience that includes working closely with engine manufactures, industry experts, top-level racers and the results of testing literally hundreds of formulas in all types of car engines and conditions.

Why Not Airplane Fuel

Car engines operate in a totally different environment than do airplane engines. Airplane engines spend a great deal of their running life at full rpm, they have a constant airflow from the prop to aid in cooling and instant throttle response and acceleration is not as critical as with a car engine.

Car engines spend most of their life accelerating from one corner to the next and are seldom at full RPM for more than a few seconds. They rely on an oversize heat sink head to dissipate combustion heat and racers actually tune car engines based on throttle response.

Fuel designed for airplanes typically have from 15 to 20% oil. While the manufactures that truly understand the requirements of car engines typically put 8 to 12% oil in their car fuel.

Why 8% to 12% Oil

Using high oil content fuels (above 15%) in gas car engines won't provide improved engine life, as some would expect. Through extensive testing we've discovered the point of diminishing return as far as oil content to engine life is actually around 8% for most car engines. In other words any more oil than 8% in the fuel does noting to improve the life of a car engine. In fact the secondary effects of high oil content fuels can actually cause engine damage by encouraging over lean runs. Here's how.

Using high oil content fuel causes a car engine to be unresponsive during acceleration acting as if the engine were running rich. Typically when using high oil content fuel, in order to get crisp acceleration and response, an engine will need to be adjusted overly lean. In addition the high oil content prevents lean bog when an engine is over-leaned thus allowing the engine to run at this lean setting without the customary telltale lean bog warning letting you know the engine is overheating.

In summary, high oil content fuels don't give added protection. The point of diminishing return from a protection standpoint in a gas car application is about 8% oil depending on the oil type and engine. Anymore oil than this doesn't offer added protection and has potential secondary effects that reduce performance and can actually cause you to over lean your engine in an attempt to get crisp throttle response and acceleration. Do yourself a favor and follow these two rules:

Rule #1- Always use a high quality fresh fuel designed specifically for gas car use that has between 8% and 12% oil preferably with at least some castor in it. (We recommend Blue Thunder Sport or Race Formula)

Rule #2 - Don't use airplane fuels or any other type of fuels that have over 15% oil in your gas car engine.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:23 AM
gerwen

If you're planning on running your car in the winter, a temp gun would be a good idea.
You want to get your engine up to a running temp of 200-230F to prevent premature wear, and sometimes this may be hard in cold weather. You may have to wrap the cooling head to get it up there, but without a temp gun you'll never know.
It's also a valuable tool for break-in.

Good luck
Old 11-23-2005, 01:34 PM
localbuyer
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for all the response.

Should I get the Pro version? Which comes with some additional proline wheels and Powerstroke shocks.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:33 PM
DaveG55

It's usually less expensive to buy a new truck with upgraded features than to buy the upgrades later.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:47 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

hey localbuyer, If it was me... I would spend the extra money for the pro version. the tires and rims alone are close to justifying the extra cost.. not to mention the shocks and cooling head
Old 11-23-2005, 11:43 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Last comment makes good sense. If you were to buy the suspension and tires seprately, it would cost you a lot more money. Ultimate hobbies offers great deals and free shipping on orders over 50.00. I buy all my vehicles there now, few companies can beat them.

You'll like the Tnx it is a great vehicle. I own one and love it