RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Hpi, T-maxx or Duratraxx???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 02:51 PM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpi, T-maxx or Duratraxx???

Hello, i have been flying Rc Airplanes for about 13 years and have never had a gas truck or car. My SON wants one for Christmas this year and i have narrowed the purchase down to 3 models, The Savage 2.5, the T-max 2.5 or the Duratrax Warhead.

The savage claims 50mph+, this is faster than the 40mph claimed by the t-maxx.
Are parts readialy availiable from places such as Tower for the Savage??

Also what about the Duratraxx?? Parts, Speed, quality? Thanks Russ
Old 11-25-2005, 02:55 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hpi, T-maxx or Duratraxx???

Go with the Savage 25 Limited Edition. It comes with everything but batteries, after run oil and fuel. It's tough as nails and pretty fast. The Savage SS 4.6 is really sweet, but you have to assemble it. The Warhead is not out yet, so no one really knows for sure how durable it will be. The Savage is tried and tested.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Haldir

Tar Baby,

Welcome, I know the LST 2 is not on your wish list but I wouild strongly recommend it, goodluck!
Old 11-25-2005, 11:48 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Savage LE off ebay. You can buy a brand NIB Savage LE on ebay, from a power seller w/ good ratings for a bit more than the Savage 25, and it is worth the price difference.

It's got a 3 speed tranny, a better cam type servo saver, and dual brakes, and more.

These three things the 25 doesn't havem and those upgrades will cost over $100 alone.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Dil

dont get confused with the savage 25, & 2.5 the savage 25 has got a 4.2 engine,(big block)

i would go for a savage withen your options, but when it comes to high speed racing and stuff, t-maxx is ahead since its lower and stuff, only probs with a t-maxx is the engine, i mean its a great engine the trx2.5, but it tricky to tune, cos i have one, & the manufacturer(traxxas) says the the engine will last only through 3 gallons of fuel, thats alot but still!, and i have read many people having difficulties tuning the trx 2.5 engine

i dont have a savage but i hear good things about it, i have not heard of probs about its engine, so it ought to be good, very hardy as well,

but when it comes to the real thrill of racing look no further, its the tamiya TNX, its a 1/8 scale but its only 2 inches longer than the t-maxx, its got a great engine as well, is cheaper as well!!! and its won all the recent major racing tournaments as well+++, with its stock engine(3.0cc O.S Engine) with absouletly no mods to the engine, its a damm good truck, very easy to tune as well, beats everything by far, i just love mine, and its much faster than the revos' and the savages, and it comes factory tuned, the only tuning u need to do is the high speed needle, which is simple as it gets!!

i beaten all the revos & savages around my track, in drags and everything

try think again!! but from your list my pic would be the savage, but i would recommend a TNX over anything to anyone!
Old 11-26-2005, 01:35 AM
CR500rider

i dont see what the big deal about the savage LE is, the savage 25 also comes with the better steering servo saver and the 4 gear diff upgrade in the box. the 2 disk brake setup has a problem with binding. and i hear the 25 engine doesnt really have the power to pull 3rd gear. and the savage LE has kinda weak wheels just my MHO
Old 11-26-2005, 02:39 AM
alvinl

ORIGINAL: CR500rider

i dont see what the big deal about the savage LE is, the savage 25 also comes with the better steering servo saver and the 4 gear diff upgrade in the box. the 2 disk brake setup has a problem with binding. and i hear the 25 engine doesnt really have the power to pull 3rd gear. and the savage LE has kinda weak wheels just my MHO
I can assure you the .25 DOES have enough power to pull 3rd gear
Old 11-26-2005, 02:44 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

stick to the Savage. the Maxx is a frail peice of trash, and the Warhead has yet to be busted on by real bashers, so nobody knows anything about it.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:50 AM
MTS

since i know very little about the duratrax i would say either the savage 25 or tmaxx. personally i prefer the tmaxx but that is only coming from a beginner in rc and really have yet to drive either truck to great extent. both trucks are good for their own little catagory the tmaxx is good in stock form for bashing and the savage is a little more race ready. if you are a budget racer go for the savage becuase it already has a big block and is fairly race ready. the tmaxx is a very expensive truck to make race ready. both are good trucks it just depends on what you want to do.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:12 PM
J. Campbell

He is only 12 and he basically just wants it for the back yard and to take to play around with at the flying field.. I even thought about the sportmaxx as he is just a beginner and has no real intention to race, we dont even have a car club here.... Russ
Old 11-26-2005, 04:16 PM
alvinl

I would go with the Savage 25 LE. It is the best for just playing around. Great wheelies, great jumping and durable. I would not buy the Warhead until some reviews start coming back. It looks like a good truck, but you just don't know at this point. The Revo is not on your list, but it is also a great truck and very easy to use.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:27 AM
HornsBsbll5

Even tho the Revo is not on your wish list it is a great truck and I'm pretty sure a stock Savage 25 will not run 50+ my Revo is a lot faster than my friends Savage and my Revo was clocked at 46 stock but the Revo is a great choice, you should definitely consider it and as far as durablility, I've beaten the h-e-double-hockey-sticks outta my Revo and havent busted anything yet! So just take your time and do as much research as possible! Good Luck!!![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-27-2005, 12:41 PM
J. Campbell

Other than the fact that the Warhead is not out yet, what is the quality of other duratraxx stuff?? Russ
Old 11-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Doahh

the quality of my evader ST PRO is very good
Old 11-28-2005, 10:15 AM
gerwen

For a 12 yr old, get the Savage. It's the toughest truck, and it will forgive you some 'learning to drive' mistakes. It's not indestructable, but it will take a beating.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:31 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

And it looks beastly.

Do you want to know why the Revo is so much faster? It weighs 9 pounds. That's 1lb more than my 1/8 buggy. The Savage weighs around 13 pounds. that's almost 50% more than the revo. It's no wonder that it's faster. I bet the savage would own the Revo if it was that weight. Infact, i'm pretty sure it would beat a revo, esp. if you installed a 3speed in it