Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

traxxas vs hpi engines

I'm trying to decide between a Savage SS4.6 , a T-Maxx and a Revo. What I'd like to know is how do the engines compare? I would imagine the Savage has more power. Are all 3 engines ball-bearing? Also, whats the difference between the TRX 2.5 and the TRX 2.5R?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: traxxas vs hpi engines

um dude every engine is ball bearing they kinda have to be
    well i have a jato (wich has a 2.5) and in my opinion i dont like it. it stalls alot (might just be me)
    im gettin it rebuilt soon though
    i have no expierence with hpi or savages
    id say they are good though
    if u were to get a revo/tmaxx when the engine is done for get a rb tm 323 (a .23 motor with a motor mount specialy or a tmaxx or revo) i hear those motors are great and crazy fast
    im lookin into the Cen Nemesis 7.7 or the Team Losi LST2
    comin soon (maybe tomorow, comon ups!!) crt pro kit with nova rex p421b and hitec servos. mayhem now has hitec servos!.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As far as engines go, the savage engine will have the most power and be the most reliable out of those three trucks.
    Tamiya TNX:

Futaba Radio Gear/Airtronics 200 oz Servo/Kimbrough 124/Venom Failsafe/Traxxas RX pack/Big Bores/Masher 40s/Rear Exhaust/.18 cv-rx/Stainless screws/Kyosho Fuel Filter/

HotBodies Minizilla HAS ARRIVED! w00t!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let's see, the HPI 4.6 is a big block motor (.28 I think) and the 2.5(r) is a small block motor (.15).
    By all reports the 4.6 is a good motor.
    The 2.5(r) is a good motor with somewhat of a bad rep. It can be a bit of a bear to tune but when tuned properly it really is a good running, very powerful .15 engine. Unfortunatly it is often compared to big block motors and that's not really a fair compasison. Of course if you put a big block in a truck designed for a small block the performance difference will be dramatic.
    I believe that the only difference in the newest versions of the 2.5 and the 2.5r is the head. The 2.5 is a cast alum head and the 2.5r has a machined head. The machined head should provide a slight improvement in cooling.
    Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic