Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

traxxas vs hpi engines

Old 11-28-2005, 04:48 PM
merlinx76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traxxas vs hpi engines

I'm trying to decide between a Savage SS4.6 , a T-Maxx and a Revo. What I'd like to know is how do the engines compare? I would imagine the Savage has more power. Are all 3 engines ball-bearing? Also, whats the difference between the TRX 2.5 and the TRX 2.5R?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:12 PM
mayhem272

Default RE: traxxas vs hpi engines

um dude every engine is ball bearing they kinda have to be
well i have a jato (wich has a 2.5) and in my opinion i dont like it. it stalls alot (might just be me)
im gettin it rebuilt soon though
i have no expierence with hpi or savages
id say they are good though
if u were to get a revo/tmaxx when the engine is done for get a rb tm 323 (a .23 motor with a motor mount specialy or a tmaxx or revo) i hear those motors are great and crazy fast
im lookin into the Cen Nemesis 7.7 or the Team Losi LST2
Old 11-28-2005, 05:15 PM
ScMc

As far as engines go, the savage engine will have the most power and be the most reliable out of those three trucks.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:31 PM
DaveG55

Let's see, the HPI 4.6 is a big block motor (.28 I think) and the 2.5(r) is a small block motor (.15).
By all reports the 4.6 is a good motor.
The 2.5(r) is a good motor with somewhat of a bad rep. It can be a bit of a bear to tune but when tuned properly it really is a good running, very powerful .15 engine. Unfortunatly it is often compared to big block motors and that's not really a fair compasison. Of course if you put a big block in a truck designed for a small block the performance difference will be dramatic.
I believe that the only difference in the newest versions of the 2.5 and the 2.5r is the head. The 2.5 is a cast alum head and the 2.5r has a machined head. The machined head should provide a slight improvement in cooling.