Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

LST Drivetrain+Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:11 PM
camtheman000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST Drivetrain+Tranny

Is the LST Drivetrain and Tranny more durable than the Revo's? Is the Revo stock drivetrain+tranny plastic???
Old 11-29-2005, 12:22 PM
GT Batman

Default RE: LST Drivetrain+Tranny

I have the LST and have had no problems with the tranny or diffs, but you MUST upgrade to the aluminum diff cases. Now the CVDs are a different story, I have broken MANY CVD pins, broke one in the last race, I had about a 1 lap lead in the B-Main when I broke the right front CVD pin, then I had to slow my pace as this thing is a doughnut machine without front wheel drive, ended up finishing 4th If you can find a way not to break the CVD pins then the drive train is rock solid.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:49 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Stock the LST has a all metal drive train except for the spurs. Anyone who tries to tell you plastic will hold up.. (in the tranny) be very wary of...
In over a year I have never broken a CVD pin. I used to break the hex pins but after cutting some out of 3/32 piano wire I have not broken them in about 18 gallons.

[link=http://www.dennisnadams.com/tmaxx/LST/Collari32_HeatCycle_3.wmv]Video: Abusing drivetrain with Collari .32[/link]

[link=http://www.dennisnadams.com/tmaxx/LST/racer_04212005.wmv]Video: Abusing drive-train with stock Mach with Sportwerks carb with 9mm insert[/link]

Creating a lifetime supply of hex pins for about 3bux......(I've never broken one of these)

SkyOdessy: Is this your first metal CVD's?? Are you sure you are not over tightening them??
Old 11-29-2005, 12:57 PM
camtheman000

So I definitely replace them immediately with aluminum
Old 11-29-2005, 12:59 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Replace the diff covers with the Alum, LST2 comes with alum diff covers. The LST has a all metal drive train with 6 CVD's. It has handled every engine I have put to it.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:13 PM
camtheman000

I've heard alot about the madcat a-arms. are they any good?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:16 PM
GT Batman

2DMaxx, are you using upgraded CVD pins? After breaking the first 8 or so I started to make sure that I only tightened the screw until it felt snug. I have fell out\off pace of SO MANY races because of this. This happened the last three mains, 4 out of 9 qualifiers, and MANY more times during practice. Only broke the actual shaft 1 time. I have tried leaving them so loose that the pin actually starts to fall out. So I assume that the weight of the truck is too much. Happens mostly in the front, only twice in the rear. I almost want to not qualify just so I know the pins are good for the main.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:17 PM
GT Batman

ORIGINAL: camtheman000

Go with the RPM arms, they are the best....I never broke one...not that I broke the stockers allot, but the RPMs are great.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:22 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I use the stock CVD pins and have never lost one during a race, heck never lost one ever for that matter. I hear other people talk about this but I've just never had a problem with them in 17 races days.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:24 PM
2DMaxLST!!

For racing I would go with RPM but were you talking about MADMAC a-arms??

MADMAC A-arms are great but I'm not sure if he is still making them...
Old 11-29-2005, 01:30 PM
GT Batman

ORIGINAL: 2DMaxLST!!

I use the stock CVD pins and have never lost one during a race, heck never lost one ever for that matter. I hear other people talk about this but I've just never had a problem with them in 17 races days.
Maybe it is our track, it is really hard packed dirt.

On a side note, I have never broked a hex pin like you have. Go figure[&:] I wonder if that piano wire would be stronger that the CVD pins?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:39 PM
2DMaxLST!!

You know, if I was having your problems, I would get the wire and the dremel out and go to town. I would even dremel a flat spot for the grub to seat in and use some red locktite and firm them down, then wait at least 12hrs before using them. There's a lot of things that can knock you out of a race but it should never be your CVD pins....

I've raced on tracks from Houston to Phoenix and my local track is the hardest. It's not watered during race days. It is prepped with water and a roller and then baked in the 100+ heat, it develops blue groove by the third qual... very tough stuff, brutal tough.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:42 PM
GT Batman

Is the size 3/32 piano wire? I do not have calipers to measure. I will definetly give it a shot though
Old 11-29-2005, 01:45 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I'm 99% sure it is 3/32. When you go to pic it up at the LHS just bring one of you axles with you and see what fits in the CVD cups. I am curious to see if this takes care of your problem!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:49 PM
GT Batman

I don't think it could hurt. If it fixed your problem, then I assume it is tougher that the stock pins.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:55 PM
camtheman000

Do any of you guys know how to create a poll?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:03 AM
marzac2

Do any of you guys know how to create a poll?
On the top of the forum pages, there is two buttons. One says "New Post" the other says "New Poll".
Old 11-30-2005, 05:28 AM
marzac2

ORIGINAL: skyodyssey

I have the LST and have had no problems with the tranny or diffs, but you MUST upgrade to the aluminum diff cases. Now the CVDs are a different story, I have broken MANY CVD pins, broke one in the last race, I had about a 1 lap lead in the B-Main when I broke the right front CVD pin, then I had to slow my pace as this thing is a doughnut machine without front wheel drive, ended up finishing 4th If you can find a way not to break the CVD pins then the drive train is rock solid.
I also have had many problems with the CVD pins. I almost always break at least one in a bashing session. Last time out though I broke two. I have even broken two axles at the CVD pin hole location. I will be trying 2D Maxxs' suggestion about the piano wire (thanks again 2D!) and I am hopeful that it will resole the issue. Also I have been awaiting the LST 2's upgraded parts in this area. Hopefully one of these will solve our problems.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:21 AM
GT Batman

I had Thermal look at my truck and he think that the pins are falling out and getting broke when they hit the axle carrier. So I am going to use red locktite, shrink tubing, and CVD boots. I am confident that this will solve my problem. It wasn't that I was over tightening them, it was that even with blue locktite the sqrew will back out and the pin starts to fall out.

2DMaxx, your track looks awsome! Man would I love to race a track that size! What are common lap times at that track?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:07 AM
2DMaxLST!!

I'm doing very good if I can bust through 40 seconds... on that setup.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:00 AM
GT Batman

That would be awsome....maybe I'll take a trip to texas I think good lap time at our track is 18-20 second, but I am usually around 24-28 seconds because I still suck.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:59 AM
marzac2

ORIGINAL: skyodyssey

I had Thermal look at my truck and he think that the pins are falling out and getting broke when they hit the axle carrier. So I am going to use red locktite, shrink tubing, and CVD boots. I am confident that this will solve my problem. It wasn't that I was over tightening them, it was that even with blue locktite the sqrew will back out and the pin starts to fall out.

Well... I was using blue thread lock also, by mistake. I think this is the culprit!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:34 AM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Wow, more people having problems with LST's........whooda thunk it? Just joking , kinda. Nice track!!!! San antonio rocks!!!, I was there a couple years ago for my Bro's wedding. We ate at this place like taco bell, but you could get drunk there too!!! Taco Cabana I think!!! Great place....and again.....nice track.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:05 AM
2DMaxLST!!

Taco Cabana rocks!!
Old 12-01-2005, 08:17 AM
GT Batman

ORIGINAL: DodamissC

Wow, more people having problems with LST's........whooda thunk it? Just joking , kinda. Nice track!!!! San antonio rocks!!!, I was there a couple years ago for my Bro's wedding. We ate at this place like taco bell, but you could get drunk there too!!! Taco Cabana I think!!! Great place....and again.....nice track.
LOL...But now we know the problem....again, not the LSTs fault, more user error Now why did you locktite your entire mayhem? Because it could do the same thing