Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Break In pHase One

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 06:07 PM
beaglegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break In pHase One

Well I finally descided to try and break in the new AE 4.60 (MGT)
However it was pretty cold here in the northeast 35 degrees maybe less.

What suprised me was how quickly this thing started the first time, 2 pulls on the starter and she started. Well that was it for easy starts and I assume with the cold weather the engine was struggling to get warm.

What I did was started her up at maunfactorers settings and drove at 1/2 throttle for a minute with the glow starter attatched, checked the temp (180) shut down and let it cool till it was bout 50 at the head, leaned the HS needle 1/16 started it up drove one minute checked temp 240, let it cool to 50 and than proceeded to do three 3 minute runs each time temps were between 208 and 230,each time I let it cool to 50 or less.

Ok here go some questions:

Each time I started the engine it took a while even using the drill start, should I assume it was due to frigid temps?
(I tried to warm the engine up a bit in the car, but I dont know how effective that was)

Besides the very first time I started the engine,each time I gave it throttle it stalled so I leaned the engine in 1/16 increments till it didnt stall when aplying throttle, was that correct?

Finally, I know I have to finish the break in,so while I wait till the next time I removed all the fuel from the tank but did NOT run the engine dry in order to clear it and the lines. My reasoning was it was too early to do this to a new engine.
Is this correct? Or should I go ahead and run all excess fuel out of the engine?

Thanks for all the help,you guys have helped me a whole lot in a very little bit of time!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:37 AM
beaglegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Break In pHase One

Well after some research I found the answer to one of my questions,namely that I should have been richening the mixture wrather than leaning it out, especialy in view of the cold weather.