Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MGT 4.60

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Wizz Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT 4.60

hey i just noticed that the MGT now has a 4.6 motor and i wondered how good this truck is now with more power. im supposed to recommend a truck to somebody and its between the savage and 4.6 MGT. any thoughts?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:57 PM
alonso_164

Default RE: MGT 4.60

the savage is a lot better, the best truck ever
Old 12-10-2005, 07:12 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend that bought one for him and one for his son. They seem to have lots of power and are about as fast as my Savage. They are also very easy to work on. Everything is easy to get to. However, he has already had to replace some parts in his transmission. Not sure if it was the quality of the truck or his driving. The reverse button is in a bad spot on the radio and I think he may have hit reverse coming off a jump.

But I still prefer my Savage.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Wizz Kid

ya im a savageman myself. i thought the MGT looked pretty good sittin on the shelf in the LHS but noticed the undersized engine and thought nothing more of it. i guess this means im recommening a savage. now should it be the k4.6 or Ltd. Ed.?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Greaper

I bought an MGT for my first MT, and I love it. I am about a half gallon thru it and it has lots of power. I did manage to run it into a curb at a 45 degree angle, so I had to replace a few parts, but have had no mechanica problems what so ever.

G
Old 12-13-2005, 03:51 AM
beaglegod

MGTs main weaknesses are the brake spring wich is too soft (replace it with fuel tubing) and the differentials have a tiny bit of play in them (shim them so there is no play). Also I was told replace the A-arms with RPM A-arms if the stockers should break.

Points I like from the truck besides how it looks is how easy it is to get to everything. Being fairly new to this its nice to be able to acess everything without have to take too many things off the chassis. As far as the 4.60 engine is concerned Ive not finished breaing it in but with about 35 min break in time (ten 3 min runs and one 5 min run), I can already see the engine coming to life nicely.

I like how the chassis is a solid girder like design as apposed to the ladder style, looks bulletproof (and Ill find out soon [>:] )
Drill start is pretty cool too.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:54 PM
WES 69

Beaglegod I'm real new to nitro rc trucks and have never shimed a diff can you help? and can someone tell me a good 3 channel FM reciver and rechargeable battery pack I can put in my MGT that will work with my Airtronics MX3 Transmitter?
Old 01-08-2006, 03:20 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: WES 69

Beaglegod I'm real new to nitro rc trucks and have never shimed a diff can you help? and can someone tell me a good 3 channel FM reciver and rechargeable battery pack I can put in my MGT that will work with my Airtronics MX3 Transmitter?
i use ofna 1400mah hump pack and it works great..
Old 01-08-2006, 06:04 AM
WES 69

Thanks badboy, how about a reciver
Old 01-08-2006, 11:30 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: alonso_164

the savage is a lot better, the best truck ever
Would you please explain why? You don't say why it is lots better in your post! Could you please let everyone know what it is about the MGT that makes the Savage a lot better Truck! I am sure you have experience with both or you would not have made such a statement!
Old 01-08-2006, 11:34 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the MGT is a great Truck, and the only complaint I have is what alvinl allready pointed out. The reverse button is in a bad spot. Other than that the Truck seems like a real bruiser!
Old 01-08-2006, 05:12 PM
cookie monster

are revo wheels direct bolt ons?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:39 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70

I think the MGT is a great Truck, and the only complaint I have is what alvinl allready pointed out. The reverse button is in a bad spot. Other than that the Truck seems like a real bruiser!
In my experiences with the MGT, they're a little slower than I would like... and they do break somewhat easily.... Since I don't have a Savage to compare it to, I can compare it to a Revo.. and the MGT, in my experience (the older one) is not near as strong and durable as the Revo... So, if I were to recommend a truck to someone and had those choices, I'd probably go with the Savage. I'm not saying the MGT is a bad truck, but if we're comparing it to the Savage... (using a generalization that the Savage is as durable as the Revo) I would say the Savage would be a better truck.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:32 PM
gerryd81

Good link for MGT mods and fixes including shimming diffs

[link=http://csgbenefits.org/mgt/]Race Tips&Tricks[/link]