Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a Duratrax Thunder Quake and like it?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Anyone have a Duratrax Thunder Quake and like it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 05:30 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone have a Duratrax Thunder Quake and like it?

Kinda curious, got one in a trade, ran it for the first time tonight. Very dissapointed, NO POWER, steering servo was too weak to turn the tires, the transmission worked great, I like the instant forward/reverse, and the two speed worked great. But it didnt even have enough power to climb up a curb. My old Tmaxx would kill this thing in speed and power.

Anyone else out there have any input? Ill play with it a little more, but at this point its sad.

I need a TT EK4!
Old 11-16-2002, 04:09 AM
3maxxman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say enough bad things about the EK 4 DON'T EVER BUY ONE! $500 for a ARTR add a radio and servos and $200 parts to keep the thing running. That does not hop anything up if you want hopups then you are looking at Diff cases and Hyper 7 diff's $400 MSJ starter and flywheel $100 Don't expect any support or warranty from ACE or any parts to be available anywhere and you will do fine with the EK$. I have an EK 4 I will sell you RTR (stock)for $500 including radio and servos. I am not surprised about your TQ problem I have ran a couple and wrenched on them also, was not impressed.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:23 AM
JohnVH

So what is good, the newest 2.5 Tmaxx must be the best out at this point?
Old 11-16-2002, 05:56 AM
3maxxman
My Feedback: (2)

I would wait and see what the new Savage and BFT are going to bring to the market. I know the Savage will be in the stores next week. The distributors have them now. The new Tmaxx is the best and most available right now and Traxxas has the best customer support I have seen. An older Tmaxx can be had pretty cheap now, it's not a bad deal, throw an OS .15cvx or a new XTM .18 in it and you will have a much more reliable truck than what I have seen on the new 2.5's.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:37 PM
eletrick
My Feedback: (1)

John,

Look in the thread "whats the best truck", I disagree with the post below, but I don't intend to repeat the same convo in this thread I did in the last. I must be the only one thats got no problems with the 2.5's. Our 2.5's are as reliable as they can get.

Richard Newman

Originally posted by 3maxxman
An older Tmaxx can be had pretty cheap now, it's not a bad deal, throw an OS .15cvx or a new XTM .18 in it and you will have a much more reliable truck than what I have seen on the new 2.5's. [/B]
Old 11-16-2002, 05:30 PM
JohnVH

OK, thanks, I had a Tmaxx, not the 2.5, but the older one, I put the nova .12 in it, and it is a great truck, then I heard they came out with the new maxx, guess I need one of those!

Thanks
Old 12-08-2002, 03:37 AM
mtmiller302

Default TQ Power

I've had a TQ for a year. Like other RCs, it's got good points and bad points. Tuning and some mods will produce as much power out of the Torq .21 as you can expect from the Ofna P4 copy. Mine spins wheels easily. Gearing is the main problem with this truck - too tall (low numerically). Smaller tires help. Mine easily dusts T-Maxxes; at least the Pro-15 jobs, and even one with a 1HP .16 engine.

I could go on forever. Email me if you want more info.

Sorry for the late post - newcomer here.

BTW, nice 1:1 car - got one just like it myself!
Old 12-08-2002, 07:09 AM
JohnVH

Thanks! Other car is a Saleen SSC.

The truck, Im going to get mine out again soon to try more tuning, but I know how to tune, and this thing will not get any better. Will see, might have to get another engine....
Old 12-08-2002, 11:56 PM
mtmiller302

Default TQ Speed ideas

SSC! Oh, man...

Here are some things I did to wake up the TQ. First, I bought OFNA 17mm hubs and installed MT3 Dominator wheels and T-Maxx tires. The smaller diameter really helped low-end response. Then I bought an OFNA .21 boost bottle and installed it. That seemed to help too. Then I got an Axis pipe holder off of eBay and installed it, and using that I change the tuned pipe position to optimize torque... moving it about 3/8" away from the header worked well. I also bagged the pull start completely and added an engine cover - this frees up a bit of power (though of course a starter box is needed - but I love starter boxes).

With these mods the TQ is plenty fast off the line, and throws dirt like a muv. If it slides in a turn I can flick the throttle and it powers itself out of the turn right away - really neat. It has even pulled a couple wheelies - though maybe aided a wee bit by a bump or two... but still cool!

You may want to look inside the stock pipe. Some have reported blockage in the pipe which, of course, doesn't do much for power. Oh, and I know you've ggot some experience, but double check that your TQ is not stuck in 2nd gear. I often run without 2nd gear (hardly ever need it) by removing the 2nd gear spur. If you never want 2nd gear, you could put any single-speed clutch bell on that you'd want for all kinds of gearing possibilities.

Many of the mods I've done are in the interest of reliability - too many to mention right now.

I have so much bottom-end power now that I've added some OFNA MP wheels and tires to take advantage of the power. They are way bigger than the T-Maxx sized tires I've been running. The MP tires are probably almost as heavy as the stockers, a good bit wider, and not quite as tall. With these wheels/tires the bloomin' thing is 20-1/4" wide (about 2" wider than stock). I am also running a Dtx pipe (DTXG1000) which many have said is a good pipe for the money. It's a 2 chamber and has added some power to the top end and it no longer sounds like a Slant 6.

Yes, I have to be careful about bending axles with these big tires, but so far so good. I was out jumping snow piles yday and had nothing but fun. Man, those MP tires are the ticket in snow! My day ended when my TQ slid into my bro's new Savage... barely even touched it and one of the bearing holders broke on his Savage (common Savage problem - they are WAY to weak). Oh well...

Later.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:07 AM
mtmiller302

Default And by the way...

BTW, I just remembered your steering comment. Move the steering rod all the way in on the servo arm. While the servo arm is off, make sure the steering is not binding up. Many TQ's have some tight spots in the steering.

The brakes can benefit from the same servo arm and brake arm tuning concepts. I moved the brake lever arm all the way out and move the rod pretty far in on the arm. My TQ can lock up the wheels when braking now - even with the MP tires.

Take care.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:28 AM
JohnVH

Thanks for the tips! Ill tinker with it a bit, I like the looks of the truck, but am working on the rest.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:19 AM
mtmiller302

Default Racing clutch

Forgot about this too - DTXC7154 Racing Shoes and Springs - helped alot! Allows engine to rev before taking off...