Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

anyone else have the OS 30?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 08:53 PM
revopqrs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone else have the OS 30?

so ive been running the os 30 in my revo for a month or so, burned a gallon. i was wanting to hear from other people who are running it in their trucks. how do you like it, does the front bearing leak, any bearing probs, and what do you think about the power?
well my motor started and ran like a champ the whole time. it was set way too rich from the factory but i quickly tuned it to keep running for break in. best idleing motor ive ever ran, and the bottom end this motor has is nuts! but the top end is lacking... my last motor was a picco comp 21, it was much faster on the top, but the bottom end is far superior on the os.
so all in all i like the way the motor runs, im a basher, this motor would be a bad choice for a racing revo!
but i have been seeing kinda high temps 270+ and it still seems rich? i know its not running the way it should but if i lean it out it gets hot, and there are no leaks. i promise! well besides the front bearing!!! i saw a pic of 2dmaxxs 30 and the carb was plastered with oil just like mine... so that got me wonderin... anyone else having these probs?
i even emailed os because i heard a rumor that the rear crank bearings are failing ruining the motor!!!
they replyed that they were having no failures of any kind, and that some leaking out of the front bearing is ok.
well i was releived to hear that there were no failures, but my front bearing leaks more that it should. its not terrible, but every time i drive my truck it gets oily around the carb. a new motor shouldnt leak that much... i have three big blocks and 4 small blocks right here that dont leak that much! not even the one with 15+ gallons! but i dont think its leaking enough to affect performance, just messy.
so come on all you lst and savage and whoever else might have this motor, tell me how yours is working out, please.
but i will say it makes my revo insane!!! and wow does it drink gas!!! heres a short vid of it, it was just while i was warming up my truck and waiting for my buddy to get his ready to bash! ive got several bashing vids but thats off topic. but if ya wanna see some let me know!

http://www.rcpics.net/img/70297
Old 12-23-2005, 02:08 PM
revopqrs

Default RE: anyone else have the OS 30?

i know some people here are runnin this motor? come on help a brotha out!!!
does your leak out the front bearing too?
Old 12-23-2005, 02:27 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have to go way in on the lowspeed to get it to run correctly??

With your airfilter off and the throttle wide open how far is the end of the lowspeed needle from the spraybar??

BTW Someone else pointed out all the oil on my carb, now I do think I have a leaky front bearing.... [:@][:@]
Mine has no lowend, seems ok on the mid-range after it gets moving.

[link=http://www.dennisnadams.com/tmaxx/LST/SKP_OS30.wmv]Video: Refuses to lift front wheels....I could do all of this with a $120 Mach or SH .28...[/link]
Old 12-23-2005, 07:30 PM
revopqrs

hmmm.... well mine makes more power than i can use, but it seems to run kinda hot? the power is awsome at the bottom end, but not so good at the top. it wheelies too easy! but my truck is what 4 pound lighter than an lst?
to set my lsn i used the 3 second pinch test, my needle looks the same as your pic. i also am running a cvec adjustable pipe, which means i have my lsn set quite a bit leaner than with a normal pipe.
one thing i noticed while breaking in this motor was that it tunes a little different... at first i had the lsn too lean and the hsn too rich to compensate, but my temps were high. then i started richening the lsn and the power increased? then i was able to lean the hsn for more rpm. still the temps can get high pretty easy, but the motor still kinda loads up like its rich....and im sure i could lean it more and get more power, and like i said no leaks either. i even tore it down and sealed everything with rtv.
i would say i have it tuned for about 80% power, but my temps are at 270+?
but i do have good things to say about the motor too, it starts excellent, and the power curve is very nice! also it has a rock solid idle.
but sweet jesus does it burn fuel!!!!!! i cant even understand how its possible? you can see in the vid i posted up above that its smokin quite a bit to keep the temps in check. but to burn that much fuel you would think there would be a wet line on the ground everywhere it goes!!

so im up in the air on this motor, i cant complain about the power, but im sick of my truck getting pasted with oil every time i run it. i found some replacement bearings at boca but its another $85 into a motor that doesnt really blow my mind, for that much money it should. like you said there are cheap motors that would toss my revo just fine!

ohh another thing, does your motor still have crazy compression? ive ran about a gallon through mine and i still cant start it without loosening the plug when its cold!!! i can hardly turn it over with my fingers! maybe that new "abl" construction or whatever its called will be good? usually a motor loosens up by the gallon point?
Old 12-23-2005, 08:18 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Page 51 of the users manual has convinced me to never seal a nitro engine again. If I spend more than 150 on a engine it's insulting to have to seal it anyway. The Collari's don't need it and my $260 OS recommends against it, they even say not to use thread lock on the screws.

I ran it in my racer that weighs 11lbs and it still has less take off power than a Mach or a SH .28.

It would not make anything even resembling power till it hit 270 and tonight it started showing the classic "I've lost my pinch" signs at 2 gallons. I'm sending it in and I hope I just got a dud.

BTW: I have observed a Mach .26 in a Revo and that's more power than you can use in a Revo, which is always good!!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:45 PM
RCtruckRacer

2D, that vid says it all. From a dead stop the engine only goes up about 10K (or so) from idle, then stays mostly flat. Barely enough to go into 2nd. You can tell its not producing enough torque to spin the tires fast enough to go up in the top of the RPM limit. It acts like a small block!!!!

Lame... that's all I can say. The OS .21 in my buggy is the best engine I have ever had (not counting the Novarossi that I have only broke in - haven't run that near enough to have an opinion yet) so this is just so surprising! I hope you are right, and that you just got a dud. []

Maybe include that video on a VCD when you return the engine?

Good luck, and happy holidays!
Old 12-23-2005, 09:44 PM
revopqrs

wow low compression huh? great...
i didnt use much rtv when sealing it, it didnt even look like it was leaking. but my motor was allways covered in oil after running, so i had to prove it to myself it wasnt leaking.
well im at a gallon now so i guess ill see what happens, im gonna run it hard till she dies! i am a little dissappointed tho, i should have tried the sts28 and saved $100.[:@]
Old 12-23-2005, 09:49 PM
revopqrs

ohh, by the way what does it say on page 51? i ordered mine from japan and its manual only has 51 pages and the last one is blank!! but it did have stickers!
Old 12-23-2005, 09:50 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Yep, it's toast and a ghost at 2 gallons and I am running it rich. This is the most money I ever spent on a engine. The kicker is when I bought it I was looking for a LRP or STS .28 for racing purposes and bought this............ I have thought about sending in a DVD with my experience with this engine and see what they say, all is forgiven if they send me a new one and it runs correctly. I've seen video of it in a Sagvage and it seems ok but I just never had much power with this engine. []
Old 12-23-2005, 09:52 PM
2DMaxLST!!

ORIGINAL: revopqrs

ohh, by the way what does it say on page 51? i ordered mine from japan and its manual only has 51 pages and the last one is blank!! but it did have stickers!
Just a sec, I will post it...

Here you go
Old 12-23-2005, 10:06 PM
revopqrs

i definatly dont have that page. but ive been working on nitro motors for 15 years, i trust my sealing! im sure thats for the kids who hear they should use rtv and they over do it.
did you watch my vid? the motor makes damn good power for me, it just runs hot and leaks! we do have different models, ive got the vg(p)

heres a vid at a half gallon.
http://www.rcpics.net/img/70380

and heres a bashing vid just so noone calls me a weenie for drivin in a parking lot!
my truck is running my picco comp in most of this vid.
http://www.rcpics.net/img/70296
Old 12-23-2005, 10:19 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I watched your video and it looks a lot more fun than mine.

I have the 30VG(P) SR (13980). Let me know if you make it past 2 gallons, like I said, I may just have a dud. I know the lowspeed needle is out of spec, I'm less than 3/4 from closed. They suggested I do that. Mine just never ran right from day one. It's the least powerful big block I've had out of 8 different engines...

I sealed all my Mach's/Sportworks and the SH but the Collari's did not need it. I'm sure some people do more damage than good, including me back when I had small blocks.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:32 PM
revopqrs

well let me know how it goes. ill be sure to tell ya if i make it past 2 gallons.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:34 PM
revopqrs

hey, the lrp is that the assiciated motor?
Old 12-23-2005, 10:37 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Yes and it rips!! I've heard... I was on Tower ready to use a coupon to buy it but it was not in stock so I bought this one... [:@]
Old 12-23-2005, 11:25 PM
SandManiac

2DMax, In that video, The O.s doesnt even sound good, sounds like its a .12. This is the weirdest stuff ever.. Coming from a company like O.S...Wow, Im stunned..[X(]
Old 12-23-2005, 11:48 PM
bentgear

2DMaxLST, there is a product called Air-Seal by Racer's Choice that is a lot easier to use than RTV and I think works better. I use it after I have assembled an engine as it is a thick liquid and I just bruch it on the joint with a toothpick. Also good when you have a needle valve that has a mind of its on and likes to vibrate out of adjustment. I put a drop between the needle and the hood and it still lets you adjust the needle.

Ed M.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:06 AM
jefx

Hey 2D, after watching that vid, it reminded me of a Sirio .18 I had. The thing just never produced the right amount of power. Your O.S. 30 has a kind-of stutter at take-off, and never seems to reach full rpm. The rpm is fine for first gear, but once it hits second the rpm never goes any higher..........like it just runs out of power. The rpm flattens out way before it should.

That's odd..........My Sirio acted the exact same way. I just figued it was a dud, and left it at that. That also was the most expensive engine I had bought. Kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth for expensive engines. I tried everything I could. New o-rings all around, new bearings, new carb, new head, different plugs, different fuels................Nothing.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:12 AM
2DMaxLST!!

From day one this engine had a weird sound. I at first thought my clutch was going but then I swapped that. I also swapped it between my LST's and then I used a stock LST pipe, a RD Logics dual tip pipe and a Top 9853. I called OS a few days ago and they told me to set the lowspeed needle like in the picture and it improved but not by much, it just kept getting worse. I have it's last gasp for breath on tape and will post it sometime.

bentgear: I will check out the airseal, sounds interesting.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:28 AM
revopqrs

well crack it open and see if the rear crank bearing failed and grenaded it. i hear thats what could happen... and if it it the rear bearing then os lied to me.

heres their response to my question.

"Thank you for your recent e-mail.

A small amount fuel leaking around the front bearing is normal.
A problem would be if it is pouring out of the front bearing.

We have not had any reports of bearings failing on this engine.

If you believe your product to be defective and under warranty, please
ship it to:

Hobby Services
3002 North Apollo Drive, Suite #1
Champaign IL 61822"

its kinda funny because a mag has claimed theirs blew up because of the bearings?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:39 AM
2DMaxLST!!

Yes, in Xtreme RC the rear main went and they said that OS reps stated they were seeking a new bearing supplier to provide a more durable component. The whole article was by no means a glowing recommendation, of course I found out about it and read it after I had already purchased the engine. Mine would still start and run, just not when hot, it just no pinch, I'm sure the internals are ok.

The tech guy I called and talked to was telling me to adjust a mid-range screw, I had to tell him it did not have one. Then he put me on hold and told me to turn the lowspeed in while holding it wide open till the lowspeed needle was 1.5mm from the spraybar.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:40 AM
revopqrs

what a let down from os.... its the first time ive bought one of their motors. my picco treated me much better. ohh well live and learn!
Old 12-26-2005, 02:13 PM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

silly kids open the intake ports and ex ports you'll see this engine is user friendly and thats why it lack top end if you open the intake ports and increase you carb to at lease a 10mm throatyoull have a killer engine hehehehe keep on crying
Old 12-26-2005, 02:56 PM
2DMaxLST!!

ORIGINAL: littlepiston

silly kids open the intake ports and ex ports you'll see this engine is user friendly and thats why it lack top end if you open the intake ports and increase you carb to at lease a 10mm throatyoull have a killer engine hehehehe keep on crying
So modify my new $260 OS engine to make power?? Change the carb?? Neither of these will do much when there's no pinch not to mention they don't make sense.

If you are making some kinda joke, well whatever, if you are serious then................
Old 12-26-2005, 03:26 PM
jefx

That engine is more than prime for some creative carving. It's extremely under-engineered. But you shouldn't have to do that to a $250 engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.