Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

My first Nitro...bad to buy USED??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

My first Nitro...bad to buy USED??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 12:47 AM
diggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Nitro...bad to buy USED??

Im going to see a guy tomorrow about buying a REVO.....dont know much about Nitro at all really but know I want one. I was going to buy a new one for $469 locally here but this guy wants $315 for his and he says its only got about 15 tanks of gas through it and the "normal scuffs and scratches".

What should I look for when going to look at this sucker? Anything I should be on the lookout for? He said we can take it out and drive it etc....so im thinking it could be a pretty good deal!

For the $150 savings is it worth buying a truck thats used and only has 15 tanks run through it?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:00 AM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My first Nitro...bad to buy USED??

I have mixed feelings on this. For a veteran, buying used is a great option since you already have the experience to fix and/or tune the engine and repair anything that needs it............all while saving some cash.

For a nitro newb, a new engine will guarantee that it hasn't been abused. An abused engine can cause many headaches if you don't know what you're looking for/at. On the other hand, a new engine also means a break-in procedure, and an improperly broke-in and wrongly tuned engine could destroy your costly investment.

I'd say that a used truck is probably a good buy for a nitro newb only if you can see the truck run first. That way you can make sure that it's in proper running order, and you can see what it should look like when it's running right.

Have him run at least a full tank of fuel through it to make sure that it doesn't constantly stall out when warmed up (worn out). Also, have him check the temps a few times while running it to show you that he knows what he's doing.........that should give you some peace of mind that it was properly cared for.

Of course you should thoroughly inspect the truck for obvious damage, and to make sure that everything works correctly.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:04 AM
nitro fanatic

what he said I agree with jefx 100%
Old 12-26-2005, 03:13 AM
miswa

my first truck gave me nightmares! i had no idea how to tune the engine, it won't start and it stalls a lot. i have learned purely by trial and error and my first truck is still running good. PATIENCE is the key, never give up coz they are freakin expensive!
Old 12-26-2005, 03:18 AM
diggs

Do they all "stall alot" the more stuff like that I hear the more tempted I am juyst to get another Stampede to match my daughters and put a brushless in it and call it a day
Old 12-26-2005, 07:29 AM
snowbl!nd

ORIGINAL: diggs

Do they all "stall alot" the more stuff like that I hear the more tempted I am juyst to get another Stampede to match my daughters and put a brushless in it and call it a day
If you get the engine tuned correctly, you can run them for hours without the engine stalling. However, if you leave the engine to idle without blipping the throttle the engine will "load up" and is likely to stall.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:28 AM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

i personnally would go for the used truck. as long as everything seems ok after going through what was suggested above and also check for missing and or stripped screws. most likely if the guy is getting out of rc, you'll be also getting fuel, batteries, and a charger with the deal. also, with that $150 savings, your on your way for a engine upgrade and the factory trx2.5r will be your learning engine. a deal like this is how i got into the hobby and i have never regreated it even though, i had to replace the engine within a month, the package deal saved me alot of money and forced me to read alot about engine tuning when i started having running issues(which didn't come around until i ran the truck several times).

also, he's asking for $315, so once everything looks good, offer him 3bills(show him) and ask if he can do it.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:51 AM
diggs

He says he has 2 REVOS and this one was his wifes but she lost interest after about 15 tanks.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:11 AM
benifur
My Feedback: (4)

3 hun seems high to me for a used revo unless it's perfect. MY LHS has 2 LST's for $350 & $375. The lst has $200 in Radio, and the revo's radio leaves alot to be desired. Even if it looks amost new talk him down. If you do get it you'll like it the revo is a tough truck and it can be competative at the track. Good Luck.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:32 PM
diggs

Picked it up for $280 guys, its in real good shape actually, we ran a tank through it, he has his mixtures running real rich, im taking it to Hobbytown tomorrow to have it tweaked since im still pretty new to this Nitro stuff. It had a break pad that seems to have fallen out $7, no biggie. Its pretty dang quick little car, it did stall a couple of times so I know it needs some tweaking to the mixtures but other than that im pretty happy with the buy, I plan to spend the $$$ difference between it and a new one on a new motor...now I need suggestions! I want this sucker to fly and be an awesome jumper.

Pic
Old 12-26-2005, 05:54 PM
alvinl

Looks like you got a great deal. For a new motor, look at the RB Concepts TM323. There are serveral people on the forum that have that motor and I am getting one for my Revo. From what I have seen, the TM323 hauls *****.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:11 PM
diggs

ORIGINAL: alvinl

Looks like you got a great deal. For a new motor, look at the RB Concepts TM323. There are serveral people on the forum that have that motor and I am getting one for my Revo. From what I have seen, the TM323 hauls *****.
Now is it right that I will lose the use of the Quick Start when upgrading motors? Anyway around that? I really dig that feature!!
Old 12-26-2005, 10:53 PM
nitro fanatic

you can use the ez start wit the tm323
Old 12-26-2005, 11:19 PM
diggs

ORIGINAL: nitro fanatic

you can use the ez start wit the tm323
sweet! thats the one for me then! What is a good price on one of those?
Old 12-26-2005, 11:49 PM
jefx

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/RB-Concepts-TM323-REVO-23-Nitro-Engine-NEW-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ6024648889QQcategoryZ34062QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]CLICK.[/link]
Old 12-27-2005, 07:54 AM
DaveG55

If I might suggest,
Don't get in a big hurry to swap out motors. Learn to operate this one first. Learn to tune and learn the quirks of a nitro vehicle.
If you want the lhs to help you with the first tune, ok, BUT you will save yourself a LOT of headaches if you learn how to do it yourself.
Did you get the owners manual and DVD with the truck? If you did then read and watch them several times. Since you're familier with rc vehicles a lot of it will be stuff you know but a lot about the engine will be stuff that will help AND hold true for 95% of nitro engines out there.
If you did not get the manual you can get it here:
http://www.traxxas.com/support/index...l&cat=4&id=245
Enjoy your new truck and good luck.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:30 AM
diggs

I actually decided to tune it myself according to the manual but I still dont feel comfortable adding new brakes, is that something you would do if you never did it before?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Ken448

yes.. Absolutley! Tranny comes out easily and then attack the brakes from there. 4 screws essentially hold it in place (on the bottom of the truck) Then 2 set screws in the drive shafts (one front one rear) then undo the linkage and its out. You can have the tranny out in about 5 minutes. Use a digital camera if you think youll get lost and just take pics of each step.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:37 AM
jefx

I did. I've never taken a vehicle to the LHS for work. Even when I was green as grass, I was wrenching away at my trucks myself. It's the only way to learn, and in my opinion it's part of the fun.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:41 AM
diggs

Ya know what? I think im going to give it a shot!

Thanks guys!

Oh by the way....is $200 a good price for a used T-maxx in "like new " shape with all accesories except the box?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:44 AM
Ken448

Tmaxxes are money pits. They need upgrades to be as reliable as the Revo will be. What do you plan on doing with it?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:46 AM
diggs

ORIGINAL: Ken448

Tmaxxes are money pits. They need upgrades to be as reliable as the Revo will be. What do you plan on doing with it?
PIcing it up for a friend who wants to get started in Nitro with me...$200 is the price, seems fair but what do I know.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

$200 seems to be the going price for the TMaxx 2.5 used in good running shape and overall good shape with no broken parts, with a 7.2V battery and charger for the EZ start.

If it's the classic TMaxx with the pro .15 then it's too much. I wouldn't pay a penny over $125 for one of those.

The easiest way you can tell (if the truck is stock) if its older or newer- the older version has a flat blue anodized cooling head, the newer 2.5 version has a taller, silver cooling head with TRX 2.5 on the block. The 2.5 has a wider stance then the older one, but might be hard to distinguish if you have never seen an old one.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:18 PM
diggs

I picked it up today this T-maxx...definately is not very fast at all, kinda disappointed. Im hoping it just needs some adjusting. It does not have the stock engine but I can tell its a newer truck, probably less than a year for sure, cant think of the brnad of engine thats in it right now but its definately a SLUG, i dont like how it takes so long to engage into drive but the guy at the LHS told me all T-maxxes are like that when they have the reverse as well. The one thing I like LEAST is that the engine it does have is a pull start and the EZ start is gone. The guy who sold it to me (a forum member) said he would bring me the EZ start if i wanted it. I think I might just pop an aftermarket motor in this sucker and see what she'll do.....whats a good motor that can use the EZ start?

By the way I got it with the Radio and Igniter for $150