Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage 21.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 02:46 PM
cello

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage 21.

Just ordered my Savage 21, now the waiting game .....
Does anyone have actual speed specs for this?? I'm hoping it will beat the "T-Maxx".
Old 11-18-2002, 03:06 AM
UNITED RC

Default Savage 21.

Hmmmm...let me ask you these questions:

1. What type of RC stuff do you like to do: Racing, bashing, rock climbing, etc

2. Do you like customizing your rc stuff?

I have a 2.5 tmaxx right now...and i am thinking about getting a savage to replace my 2.5.

Not sure though, i love Traxxas CS......plus i like upgrading stuff, and the T has tons of stuff to upgrade.

The savage is a .21, that is a plus. Also it has been prebuilt to handle the .21 size engines...the T is not!

If i was going to get a truck from the get go, i would wait a day or two and see what the early recievers are saying about the Savage....if they are good, get the savage.....

if they are questionable, or they dont appear to be positive in how you want to use it, then get the t....
Old 11-20-2002, 02:04 AM
cello

Default Got my Savage21

Got my savage to day, 11/19/02.
I will start to break it in and post some coments.

Looks like a T-Maxxx killer.

Old 11-22-2002, 02:21 AM
cello

Default Savage specs

I'll will be starting my break in today.

I will post more info later. Need to get this truck tuned to beat all these T-Maxxxeeesss.

LOL.
Cello.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:42 PM
cello

Default Savage 21.

I was able to Idle 1 full tank as required. It was hard to get this monster started for the first time. I had to crack open the glow plug to get her running.
Then I ran another 2 tanks of fuel keeping it under half throttle to keep the eng cool.. The stock setting is super rich.. Had to wipe all the oil up from the frame, right rear tire, and right rear suspension. I guess it's better rich than lean, especially during break in.
OK, third and fourth tanks of fuel--- I had to lean out the main needle about 1 full turn. Had to lean out the idle needle about half a turn. This truck has great low end power. It wants to pull the front wheels off the ground, but not quite there yet.. Had to adjust the trans to shift a bit sooner, took only 1/4 turn couter clock wise to do this. It shift into 2nd gear right when it stops pulling hard, almost at a neutral state when the eng. is not producing any more power, then "BANG", second gear kicks in hard. You can see the back of the truck "SQUAD" down again and it just keeps on getting up. Not quite sure about the top speed yet. Might have to get a COP to shoot radar at it to determine this.
Will be running another couple of tanks of fuel through it today. Hope it keeps getting better.

Cello
Old 11-23-2002, 08:25 PM
5Zigen

Default Savage 21.

hey cello,
were you able to shift to second gear on stock setting?
Old 11-24-2002, 12:06 AM
cello

Default Second gear

I was able to shift into second. Make sure the engine is running properly. Must lean out the main needle about 1 full turn clockwise. Don't do this all at once. Must do it at 1/8 turn incriments, then run the truck and turn another 1/8 turn. I only had to turn the transmission screw 1/2 turn counterclock wise. It was taking too long sometimes before it shifted. Make sure you are adjusting the proper transmission screw. There are 2 of them. Refer to the illustration on page 17 of the instruction manual.

Cello
Old 11-24-2002, 12:21 AM
cello

Default Savage 21.

I ran the Savage today for about 2 Hrs at a local school soccer field. The Savage runs better and better every tank.
There was a local Sherrif in the parking lot so I asked him if he had a radar gun to figure out the top speed of this monster. He was not certified to run radar, so he didn't have one. Ohh well, I'll keep trying to figure out top speed.

Cello
Old 11-24-2002, 11:25 PM
5Zigen

Default screwd up gear

I accidently untightened the screw that your NOT suppose to turn. and my car is not gioing reverse now. I took my car apart and now i'm going to open the gear box and see what i did wrong.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:00 AM
cello

Default Savage 21.

I thought that was the problem. Let us know what you find when you take the tranny apart. Hope you didn't damage something. Just remember to use the other screw to adjust you shift point.

Cello
Old 11-25-2002, 05:13 AM
5Zigen

Default my savage

Hey guys.

due to the fact that i was new to rc, I ended up parting out the whole car (including wheels, chassis, radio box, engine, and everything else.) It also gave a chance to clean the truck too.
anyway, the gear box seems to be really sturdy, was held down by 8 screws. I opened them and took out the middle gear which was the 2-speed tranny. and there was my problem. the screw that adjusts the shifting point came off and it was stuck, which made my car won't go reverse. Luckily nothing was damaged. I started putting my truck back together until i got tired. so hopefully I am going to put it back together on wednesday.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:35 AM
crash and burn
My Feedback: (19)

Default TRANNY PROBLEM, YOUR NOT ALONE

Yes, big concern in the tranny area.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:37 AM
crash and burn
My Feedback: (19)

Default TRANNY PROBLEM, YOUR NOT ALONE

Yes, big concern in the tranny area.

The screw he metions is backing out and it's not happening because we are unscrewing it!!

You have to take it out and locktite it! Or your tranny will lock up and not shift.

Also, the screw on the end of the engine shaft will let loose so goop it up with locktite as well!

Here's a photo of the screw in the tranny.

C&B
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	37454_4786.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	22866  
Old 11-26-2002, 01:37 AM
cello

Default Savage 21.

Thanks for the tranny info. I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

I ran the truck today against 2 T-maxxes. We were just goofing around. I think the T-Maxx boys were pissed off since my truck acted like a magnet....They kept T-boning me etc...Don't know if it was intensional, or just "BAD DRIVING" on their end. I'll let you deside. I suffered a bent shock, wich is was able to fix in about 3 minutes flat. One of the other none driving T-Maxx freaks ran into a parked vehicle's tire and suffered some major damage...LOL. That's what he gets.

They could not touch me on dirt. They have a lot of mods, I.E. lower gearing, Spools, etc. I was still running the stock glow plug after 6 tanks of fuel.... HEHEHE.

Well, I'm gonna change the glow plug, performance decreased,I replaced the stock air filter with a motor saver K&N, and I'm gonna glue these tires in right. These guys from HPI don't know how to use glue.

Cello
Old 11-27-2002, 11:24 PM
cello

Default Savage 21.

Hey, I was playing around today along side with a T-Maxxx.
I could really tell the difference between the small block in the t-maxx and the big block in the savage. The savage has no problems climbing the hills, where the T-maxx has to use wheel speed to help it up. Big block has a lot more torque and power.

Cello