Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Totaly new to this

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:59 PM
JasonSK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totaly new to this

Hey guys, I live up in Canada and am just getting into this hobby.

I want to purchase my first nitro rc but I am running into some issues at the start.

I'm not sure where the best place to buy is, and if the kits I am looking at come with everything I need, not to mention what kind of fuel.

Looking at this one as a good cheap starter kit

http://store.grandhobby.com/rarecocarrct.html

Does this baby have everything I need(minus the fuel)?

Thanks for any info guys, this hobby looks awsome, I love tinkering with things and I"m sure there are tons of tinkering(and breaking) to do!!

later![:-]
Old 01-12-2006, 11:52 PM
nicholsm04
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: Totaly new to this

Well if you have already realized that there is alot of breaking and tinkering to do youre one step ahead of the game! Especially if you love it!

That truck looks nice, and yes its comes Ready To Run (RTR), which typically means everything except batteries, fuel and after run oil included!

Good luck! it loooks like a sweet ride!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:02 AM
JasonSK

Hi man

Ya, I love tinkering, not so much busting tho lol!!

One thing I do worry about is, I have not found many aftermarket parts for it, while other trucks like the T-Maxx have whole webpages dedicated to them!!

http://2coolrc.com/searchresultTmaxx.aspx?CategoryID=35

I know for a fact I'm gonna bust stuff, its who I am lol, so I guess I haev to maby plan ahead a bit!
Old 01-13-2006, 01:01 AM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Hey man, welcome ot the world of RC. I live in Alberta and i can tell you that your best bet is to go with something your lhs carries parts for because it is hard enough to find parts for a "not well known" brand name let alone find someone who will ship to Canada for a reasonable price. AND if you order online you have to wait quite a while if it is comming from the US or elsewhere.
I have heard of hi speed before but I haven't heard much feedback.
If I were you and you are looking for a nice nitro RTR in that price range, I would go with either the T maxx because of the abundance of parts, OR better yet teh CEN mt2 or teh new version, the CEN magnum. The MT2 was my first nitro and i love it. 45 mph stock and i think the magnum is faster yet. way more durable than the tmaxx. Only thing is for a brand name that your LHS doesn't carry, you will have to keep a good inventory of parts if you dont want to have long down times.
I'm not sure where in SK you are from but the first thing you should do is go to your lhs and check what they carry for spare parts.
Just my personal opinion.
Good luck with the RCs you will love em.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:30 AM
JasonSK

^ Very good points.

I did some thinking, and I bought a T-Maxx

http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitr...xx_gallery.htm

Got some fuel, glue for the tires, air filter oil and im all set.

Now to spend the time until It arrives learning about it, im so pumped, this is going to be such a cool hobby! I looked at some of these engines taken apart and it was amazing!!

Man, between this, my computer, and my charger, I"m going to have 0 freaking money!!!! But its gonna be worth it!!!

I live in the Moose Jaw area, mucky and icky out.

Btw is there anything hardcore about breaking in these engines? Or in general, like would it be a bad thing to take it snow bogging in the backyard
Old 01-13-2006, 03:31 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

ORIGINAL: JasonSK

Btw is there anything hardcore about breaking in these engines? Or in general, like would it be a bad thing to take it snow bogging in the backyard
This is a Good Break-in Method,
http://www.rbmods.net/enginetempering.php
If its Cold when you do Your Break-in you can wrap the Cooling Head with Alum or a sock,To get the Heat up Quicker....
Heres Some Tuning Tips,
http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm
PS, Be Carefull Running in the Snow,The Batt & Servos Don't like to get Wet,
There a Lots of ways Around it though, Like Plastic Dipping them, Or putting a ballon around them, Or if the Snow is Powder(Spray WD-40 on the Servos) then just Brush the Snow after Every Tank of Fuel.......And Dry your Truck when your done Running for the day..Anyway have Fun with your New Truck!!
Old 01-13-2006, 04:14 PM
dustin7837

I run my mt in the cold and snow all the time. Some major things to do before you hit the snow or mush is to WATERPROOF the electronics. There are two ways to do this. Some people stretch balloons over their servos and battery box. My favorite method is to take some standard clear silicone that you can get at any hardware store and use it to seal your servos and battery box. For the servos I just loosen the screws off a bit so there is a crack on both ends of the servo and put some silicone over the creacks and then tighten it and let it dry. For the battery box i used the silicon to make kind of a gasket so the box is sealed but still opens and closes fine.
As far as temps go i have had no trouble running from +30 to -30 celcius. I have a body for summer that has the front and back windows cut out for cooling and a body for winter that has no holes cut. Just make sure you get a temp gun and check your running temp when you go out in different conditions. You may have to tune your Hi speed needle a bit for different temps. Only other thing i reccomend for snow/water is to take some kind of lid or something and put it over your air filter. Kind of hard to explain.
It would be like haveing a glass sitting upright on a table to represent your airfilter. THen take a somewhat larger glass and hold it upside sown over the first glass but not touching the table. Get what i mean? This will prevent most of the water from getting in your filter/engine. water in engine=bad. Like jason said make sure you dry your truck afterwards too or you may start to see some rust damage eventually on any steel parts.
I took up RC because i like restoring vehicles but i have 2 projects going and can't afford it till im done school so i switched to a slightly less expensive hobby. Note the word "slightly".
Good luck man, It's a fun hobby.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:21 PM
nicholsm04

Yes, sae yourself some pain and coin and waterproof.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:53 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

I used plastic Dip, It takes a bit of time to do it, But its Nice Not worring about Running it Crappy Weather....
Old 01-13-2006, 08:10 PM
JasonSK

Hey guys,

thanks for all the awsome advice, I never even thought about how water could effect it!!!!

I noticed there hasb een problems with overheating, has anybody though of building a ducted fan design to blow on the engine? Maby one that would kick in when a thermo reached 250 or so, I think I could whip something like that up, um, I dunno what the truck has for onboard power tho, might have to look into that.

I know it would add weight, but I"m not going for super dooper racer, I dont want to bust my truck up I'm more going to use this for bombing around the backyard and just learning how these things work.

Hey, that plastic dip, exactly what is that? I have never heard of that.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:17 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

Its just what it sounds like,Its a can of Plastic For Dipping Tool Handles in, You can Find it at Most Hardwear stores,
I just found this Spray kind Here, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/off...condition=new/

Heres my Buddys Site, He has Lots of Info...
http://www.fatbearscave.net/lst/dip.htm
Old 01-13-2006, 08:21 PM
JasonSK

you dipped the whole truck? Or piece of piece?

I wonder... if you could just use that spray and spray all the componets(minus the air intake lol)
Would it create a layer to thick that you couldnt get through? Or could it muck up things? Id be kind of worried about trying it.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:27 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

you dipped the whole truck? Or piece of piece?

I wonder... if you could just use that spray and spray all the componets(minus the air intake lol)
Would it create a layer to thick that you couldnt get through? Or could it muck up things? Id be kind of worried about trying it.
Just on the Servos, I added a Link in my last post, http://www.fatbearscave.net/lst/dip.htm

Like This, ( The Blue Parts)
Old 01-13-2006, 08:35 PM
JasonSK

Hmm
very impressive
and a very good idea
I will look into that for sure, I can see that preventing a ton of problems
Old 01-14-2006, 12:58 AM
dustin7837

wow good idea jason. I have some of that that i used on some old wrenches and pliers etc. where the rubber was worn down. Didn't even think to use it. as far as cooling goes. I've seen a turkc where a guy put in a 4 stroke engine and used a hi speed fan about 80mm or so for cooling but that is extreme. Just get yourself a temp gun and Cut out the windshield and back window of your body for good air flow. There are bigger cooling heads available for most engines also. Only thing you have to be careful of is that as you lean the truck out to get it hotter you are also putting less oil in the cyllinder
Old 01-15-2006, 04:25 PM
JasonSK

Have any of you messed with superchargers??

http://rbinnovations.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21

thought that was pretty cool

another question, how do you "dyno" your engine? To know if the mods you put into it(filter, fuel line, and so on) actually produce more power?
Old 01-15-2006, 04:29 PM
nicholsm04

Well, superchargers are really not a good idea, ive heard they dont do too much, and also drastically reduce engine life. Just get a different engine with more powere later on if you feel the need for more power.

As for more power, help the breathing, throw on an exhaust, header, and intake and you will see a difference.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:41 PM
dustin7837

I've only been in nitro RC for about 2 years now but i have worked as an aprentice mechanic in a GM dealership and a honda ATV dealership. nicholsm04 is right on both counts. A supercharger basically forces air and fuel into your engine operating like a positive displacement pump. The pressure created is called boost and basically forces your engine to work harder and produce more power. If you like the idea of a supercharger, your best bet is to find an engine that is factory equipped with one. Chances are with the extra power you may break/bend/stretch the connecting rod and/or do damage to the piston/sleeve. I know with full size vehicles if you are adding an aftermarket supercharger, you need to make sure that your crankshaft, con rods, pistons, tranny etc. etc. are stong enough to handle the extra horsepower and especially the extra torque.
I agree that it would be probabaly better to just upgrade to a more powerful engine.
I am not sure how they dyno rc engines either. Now that you mention it i am very interested[sm=confused.gif]
Just to back up Nicholsm04, as he said any thing you can do to ease the engines exhaust and intake, the more power the engine will have and the more efficient it will be. Only thing to bear in mind is that the exhaust backpressure helps to bring your fuel from the tank to the carb.
One thing you can do to increase acceleration and top speed is to reduce the weight of your unit. It's all about that power/weight ratio.
Of course all of the above is just my opinion. not to offend anyone.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:53 PM
JasonSK

^
Awsome thanks for the info guys.

I never thought about how a SC could damage an nitro, but like you said, its the same as a normal engine! But I have to admit, they just look damn cool, and I mean come on, saying your RC! is supercharged? lmao that rocks heheheheheeh.

Although if I ever did it, I would buy a engine that I didnt care if I blew up for it, just to puts around

I'm not planning to do major racing, I more want a stable fun ride. I'm already looking for a much bigger muffler cause I want to make it as quiet as I can.

I will have to look at some thigns and get back to you, to see what you guys thing, I have a few mods for K a N air filter and a bigger exhast setup.

Has anybody toyed with the gearing? I imagine with a 2 speed tranny you could do some crazy things, maby make a really high second gear, you would suffer for a bit but it could give you a higher top speed right?

As for me, heheheeh, well I want the rc equv of having 4.11's in the back

As for the dyno, I found a fwe kits actually, mini dinos, they are around 400$ USD, so I'm still looking around tos ee if I can find a cheaper one.
I stil think it would rock to have tho, being able to see instantly how your mod effected things!
Old 01-16-2006, 12:10 AM
nicholsm04

ORIGINAL: dustin7837

I've only been in nitro RC for about 2 years now but i have worked as an aprentice mechanic in a GM dealership and a honda ATV dealership. nicholsm04 is right on both counts. A supercharger basically forces air and fuel into your engine operating like a positive displacement pump. The pressure created is called boost and basically forces your engine to work harder and produce more power. If you like the idea of a supercharger, your best bet is to find an engine that is factory equipped with one. Chances are with the extra power you may break/bend/stretch the connecting rod and/or do damage to the piston/sleeve. I know with full size vehicles if you are adding an aftermarket supercharger, you need to make sure that your crankshaft, con rods, pistons, tranny etc. etc. are stong enough to handle the extra horsepower and especially the extra torque.
I agree that it would be probabaly better to just upgrade to a more powerful engine.
I am not sure how they dyno rc engines either. Now that you mention it i am very interested[sm=confused.gif]
Just to back up Nicholsm04, as he said any thing you can do to ease the engines exhaust and intake, the more power the engine will have and the more efficient it will be. Only thing to bear in mind is that the exhaust backpressure helps to bring your fuel from the tank to the carb.
One thing you can do to increase acceleration and top speed is to reduce the weight of your unit. It's all about that power/weight ratio.
Of course all of the above is just my opinion. not to offend anyone.
This guy really knows what he is talking about, take this advice, and run with it.

You may see a slight gain in low end power with the addition of a cold air intake / motor saver air filter, exhaust, and header, but it really wont be a noticeable difference. The engine is just to small to benefit in any other way besides less strain, and maybe some lower temperatures.

If you're looking to go high performance, I recommend the OS.18TM for racing, and the RB Concepts TM323 for bashing. You can use a different gearing for the RB Concepts to use it for racing, its just a matter of keeping the front end down.

Also, be advised on mufflers. Larger isnt always quieter. Stick with stock, its probably the quietest you'll find.

Since you're new to nitro, your best bet would be to get used to driving, and maintaining control of the truck. Then seek more power when you are comfortable with what you have. Its a fun hobby, but it can be quite discouraging if your truck is always broke down.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:45 AM
dustin7837

HAHA yeah, it would be cool to say your RC is Supercharged or Turbo'd. I might have to look into those dynos too. Not that they would be overly useful but it would be cool to have lol[8D].
As for me knowing what I'm talking about. (yeah right)[X(] I don't know much about RC but i have worked with lots of !;! cars and 2 stroke bikes and it seems to me that they are very similar. I run an O.S. 18CV-RX in my cen mt2 for racing and it is a very nice engine.
A K&N filter would definately help over a conventional foam filter but make sure you clean and oil it often. Very small amounts of dirt can clog these rotory carbs up really easily.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Doug_Funnie

I'm already looking for a much bigger muffler cause I want to make it as quiet as I can.
I really dont think your going to find anything to muffle a nitro engine. If you do, you might have to sacrifice engine power. Engine noise from an RC car is one of those things you have to live with (think about your neighbors too).