Dirt Burner MT racers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dirt Burner MT racers!!!

ORIGINAL: DodamissC

o yeah, and the other thread was big. The BIGGEST on RCU if you classify it by replys. Damn near the biggest as far as hits go too. Rock on Thread starter thermal!!!!
You see that 'Official MT2 thread' here? Over 4180 replies and 112,000 hits! That is the biggest thread I have ever seen on any forum. It would take a week to get through it.

So awesome you guys have a little sub community within RCU- I am Jealous! I wish just one of my friends was into RC. Just one! And I have tried. My wife out of pity asked my to pick her up a truck and she will run with me.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:58 PM
ThermalRD

I wish i could get a better pic of these shoes. These are literally chewing into the flywheel. And yes, i believe being this bad it would prevent them from engaging. Not only are they somewhat stuck in the flywheel groove now, theres less weight. When a clutch shoe gets that light, it will NOT engage early, and eventually not engage at all. I still dont believe the slipping is a one way. It doesnt add up. Mike used his entire LST1 setup, and it did the same thing. If it was the one way, it would have to be defect. And it doesnt seem that way. Not with mikes still doing it, with the original parts he used from his LST1. Ken, i reccommend the Nova shoes.

[link=http://www.novarcproducts.com/3shoeclutchshoes.html]3 shoe clutch from nova[/link]

They are adjustable, and seem to last FOREVER!!! My second choice would be the Mugen shoes.
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJAP0&P=ML]Mugen shoes at Tower[/link]
Old 01-16-2006, 01:25 PM
GT Batman

If it were the slipper nut backing out it would still do it...not tryig to argue...just can't see why tightening down the nut would give me 2-3 more runs before doing it again. And the slipper assembly (metal around one-way) was HOT when I swapped it out..so hot it would burn you (literally). I'll check the shoes just to be safe since I really don't know what the problem is.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:49 PM
ThermalRD

Mike, the only problem with that is, i dont see the slipper engaging like an on off switch. The LST slipper pads can take some abuse. I've had em set real loose at times, and generally they produce alot of heat. Lets keep at it, we'll figure it out. And the problem with the one way is you say your LST1 parts did the same thing... Confusing eh... Time to call Bill at Losi. I'll report back shortly.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:05 PM
ThermalRD

Well, i just got off the phone with a service tech. at Team Losi. He said there were no other complaints like this. He mentioned a few things.

- For/Rev mechanism being stuck betweein gears. NOT the issue here, to my knowledge we are ALL running FOC. Scratch that idea!

- The flywheel collar not tight enough. I dont see it, but its possible. I guess i could easily pop the flywheel, and see if its chewed up at all where that brass collar rests. Still seems like that wouldnt cause the ON/OFF type action.

- Last he mentioned the one way. Still the most likely failure here. Until Mike threw a wrench in the idea with the LST1 parts still doing it. On the more technical side of things, if it is a failure in that area, Mike would have to be right about the shaft thickness. If its off a hair, it would explain why both the LST1, and 2 parts are doing the same thing.

He did mention set screws coming from the tranny, but that certainly wouldnt give the ON/OFF type behavior. Since i red loctite everything religiously, im ruling that one out. lol
Old 01-16-2006, 02:25 PM
GT Batman

I guess we are the only ones....If we all are using the FOC, then it was made for the LST1. And we all used the shaft included with the kit. So this does not explain why the LST1 one-way would fail as it is the same shaft. Matt, pull out your old shaft and compare the 2 with your calipers. I gues we need to run the truck until it does it again, leave it running and stare at it until we see which part is spinning.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:29 PM
GT Batman

As a test for the slipper sqrew, simply tighten it down, then start the truck up. Keep backing out the nut 1/4 turn increments while checking to see if the truck is still moving. If at some point it all of the sudden totally stops moving, then that was the problem. If after all your investigation you can find anything, then why not try this?
Old 01-16-2006, 02:33 PM
GT Batman

one more thing, last time my truck started spinning, I ran out to the track and picked it up. As soon as the truck was vertical it re-enguaged(sp?). I dropped it and ran a few more laps before doing the same thing, then I swapped one-ways. Same happened when I started the truck before the 3rd qual and main.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Ken448

when it re-engaged, did it feel like it slammed into gear? Thats what mine would do. I removed the gear cover and watched the gears. They spun just fine even when it was slipping. So, to me, that ruled out the flywheel clutch. Here is a pic of my shoes:

I dont know what the looked like stock, but it looks like they arent going to last very long at all from this pic.
2 Speed shaft thickness is 0.314" or 7.98mm
Old 01-16-2006, 02:56 PM
ThermalRD

Very strange behavior i guess. I'll go thru it more later on. I've got some painting to get done. Jake has this challenging paint scheme for me to do. Imagine this! Yellow on top, with a red bottom!
Old 01-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Ken448

you want fries with that?
Old 01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
ThermalRD

Ya, those clutch shoes are shot. lol. Mike, when you swapped out the one way bearing, is there ANY chance you grabbed the wrong part and put the same LST2 part back in? When mine slipped, it revved to the moon. A few seconds later, it slammed into gear wheelied a little, then screamed down the straight. I got about 1 1/2 more laps, then it was done. I did notice jumpy behavior thru the day. Along with a HIGH idle. Somebody figure this out while i go paint.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:15 PM
GT Batman

No chance. I replaced entire assembly, gears and all. As a test, i can run my LST1 with the LST2 slipper assembly on it (already installed). But I can't get to DBs until thursday night for nitro.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:27 PM
binaryterror

That would be so cruel...so cruel...good god just wrong.

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

I've got some painting to get done. Jake has this challenging paint scheme for me to do. Imagine this! Yellow on top, with a red bottom!
Old 01-16-2006, 04:40 PM
elite
My Feedback: (2)

i got an idea...

buy a truck from eric thats defective, and let it run away on you and hit the wall and then you wont have to worry about one way problems - yours will be alot wore IE 60plus in front end damage and radio failure LMAO. JK!

so sky you picked up the trick and when it was vertical it started "grabbing" again?

matt, fire yours up - get it slipping and turn it 90 degrees...see if it re-engages. then maybe we can get into if tolerences are off on shafts and stuff...(YES KEN WE ARE TALKING ABOUT RC CARS HERE) lol....
Old 01-16-2006, 06:28 PM
FE_Chris

ahh man, it was early, I ment to say the biggest MT thread or one of.....
ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

o yeah, and the other thread was big. The BIGGEST on RCU if you classify it by replys. Damn near the biggest as far as hits go too. Rock on Thread starter thermal!!!!
You see that 'Official MT2 thread' here? Over 4180 replies and 112,000 hits! That is the biggest thread I have ever seen on any forum. It would take a week to get through it.

So awesome you guys have a little sub community within RCU- I am Jealous! I wish just one of my friends was into RC. Just one! And I have tried. My wife out of pity asked my to pick her up a truck and she will run with me.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:51 PM
ThermalRD

Man, nobody fixed it yet? lol... Come on man... I've been spending all day painting Jakes body. Do you have any idea how long it takes to outline doors, and windows with a black paint pen? Good lord! Ugh, better get back to work. UFC TONIGHT!!!! Which means i dont work during UFC... LOL
Old 01-16-2006, 09:18 PM
GT Batman

After investigation, I still think the slipper nut is backing out. I could tighten is all the way down by hand! I just replaced it with the associated version. Shoes are worn, but still a few race days left in them, flaywheel show signs of wear, but not bad...I think it needs thicker shims behind them.

One new theory. When pulling the clutch bell i noticed that it looked different than the LST1, and indeed it is despite the same part number. The inside of the LST2 bell has an inner circle that could be catching the burs from the shoes. The LST1 version does not have this indention. I have a really old digital camera that takes crappy pictures, but I have a blurry photo of the old bell if interested. It is only sligthly beveled where the bearing sits, where the LST2 version is stepped in another level.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49320.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	389234  
Old 01-16-2006, 09:24 PM
GT Batman

Sorry, but I don't feel like pulling the LST2 bell to upload that picture, but you guys can see the difference I think...man I need a better camera. I think mine was one of the first digital cameras. Hard to say whether the burs are far enough out to catch the bell. Or if the burs are even low enough to catch the spot I am talking about.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
revomanmi

ya man your camera sucks bad LMFAO........well back to UFC live
Old 01-16-2006, 11:42 PM
FE_Chris

OMG dude, I am watching this UFC stuff for the first time tonight. It's so raw.....I would seriosuly get my arse kicked.
ORIGINAL: revomanmi

Old 01-17-2006, 12:06 AM
revomanmi

first time..........LOL man you are like 10 years behind hahahahahah I recommend you watch the ultimate fighter 3 series you will like it alot. it starts in 3 weeks. it will be on at 11pm spike tv monday nights

OMG dude, I am watching this UFC stuff for the first time tonight. It's so raw.....I would seriosuly get my arse kicked.
ORIGINAL: revomanmi

Old 01-17-2006, 09:11 AM
binaryterror

Yeah Matt and Sandor got me into UFC...jeez its good. Pretty good fights last night, some just ended to quickly, but hey thats what happens sometimes. Why doesn't UFC do chick fighting yet? (Maybe they do and I haven't seen one yet). UFC 3 should be cool, Ken Shamrock as a trainer? Didn't his UFC career (and fighting ability) die after he left and went to WWE?

Oh can we stop talking about the LST2...we all know its inferior to any other truck when it comes to durability...ROTFLMAO...

Ok anyone looking to buy a new .28 engine with pipe? I have a new Thunder Tiger .28 Pro (not the same as in the MGT 4.60SE) with stock pipe ready to sell...cheap.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Ken448

Ken Shamrock is and always was a bad mo-fo. He was in UFC waaay back in the day when Royce Gracie was in it (the first of the Gracie's) Man there were some boring azz fights then, all grappling, and no one swinging for the fences at all. Guys like Ken changed it all. Now theres guys like Tito (kinda disappeared) Matt Hughes (he is awesome for a wrestler) Chuck Lidell, and the infamous Randy Coture who is like 40something and still shows all the kids who's in charge in the ring. Yup, been watching the PPV's for quite a while

Imagine meeting a guy that looks like Stephen Bonnar in a bar and not knowing who he is and harassing him...... He totally doesnt look the part, but WOW does he know how to whoop some butt. Another one from a few years back is named Jens Pulver in the lightweight division. Barley over 5 ft tall, and you dont dare mess with him!

I cant wait until Pride and UFC come together. Now thats some good all around fighting.. Pride is brutal, you can even kick a downed opponent in the head!

OK back to RC

BTW, my FR33 Venom Revo body showed today along with a nifty fuel bottle! Since I break one bottle a week, itll come in handy
Old 01-17-2006, 05:18 PM
revomanmi

Man seems like this group likes UFC. well its a bummer that I dont have PPV. soooooooo if anyone wants to host im sure you can fill your house with RC freaks and everyone can chip in for the event.....HINT HINT FEB. 4th is the next PPV event.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.