Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Opinions?!?!!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 02:44 PM
2DMaxLST!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Opinions?!?!!?!?!?!?

I like the verbatim quotes from marketing materials........ I have yet to see a F1 car off road.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:16 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: REVOFAMILY
See, people will pay for things if they believe that it will be better (unless they're cheap...) There's not enough on the LST 1/2 to really justify the price for most people. Some say the radio is worth it, but... some don't really care about the radio...

That makes my point exactly. The Revo is marketed to be beginer friendly, and most beginers aren't experienced enough to be able to see the cost/value ratio between the Revo and the LST. To the untrained eye, the LST just appears to be expensive, which may turn away some of the beginer buyers. But for those who appreciate the value of what is actually included with the LST..................Well, we know that the price is more than justified.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:26 PM
RCtruckRacer

ORIGINAL: 2DMaxLST!!

I like the verbatim quotes from marketing materials........ I have yet to see a F1 car off road.

I have, its called a crash!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 04:02 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: lstRacerX

its "revolutionary" F1-inspired suspension
How is it revolutionary?? Tamiya used cantilever suspensions long before the Revo came out...
Cantilever, maybe... but independent suspension on a MT? Did they use inboard shocks? Please... enlighten me.... also... see the "quotation marks" ? I did that on purpose... since they have never been used on a MT, they can be considered "revolutionary" however... they've been around in F1 for quite a while.

I have yet to see a F1 car off road.
True, but... the suspension on the Revo has been proven to be exceptional!

That makes my point exactly. The Revo is marketed to be beginer friendly, and most beginers aren't experienced enough to be able to see the cost/value ratio between the Revo and the LST. To the untrained eye, the LST just appears to be expensive, which may turn away some of the beginer buyers. But for those who appreciate the value of what is actually included with the LST..................Well, we know that the price is more than justified.
You just said that a lot of people just can't do it... which is why the Revo is so popular... and that's not the case... in my last post, I showed why the Revo was so popular... It's not because people can't afford the LST... it's because people prefer the Revo... and I'm sure that its lower price aids in the decision. Many of the people who are buying R/C's are noobs... so... the nicer radio means NOTHING to them. I will agree that the LST comes with a nicer radio, but to be 100% honest with you... my TQ3 allows me to pilot my Revo just fine. I wouldn't mind some of the tunability of the XS3... but... the TQ3 takes care of the job.... Why fix it if it ain't broke, ya know?

Old 01-20-2006, 04:10 PM
nicholsm04
My Feedback: (-1)

Exactly, I have no problem with the TQ3. Its a decent, fuctioning radio. It has decent range, and who cares if your LST's turning is a fraction of a second faster than mine. Not that big of a deal for what these are used for.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:30 PM
RCtruckRacer

Cantilever, maybe... but independent suspension on a MT? Did they use inboard shocks? Please... enlighten me
Ah, I see. So because the cantilever system was used on an MT it makes it revolutionary. Gotcha. As far as just cantilevers go, the Tamiya Frog (independant suspension), a buggy, had internal cantilever shocks in the rear. It came out over 20 years ago...

Of course, using your logic, the LST shocks are revolutionary as well. No one has ever made shocks that large on an R/C to my knowledge.

As far as enlightening you goes, you have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt it is not possible.

I will say this: The Revo is an awesome vehicle, and is great on or off the track. The suspension is superlative, though not unparalleled. I look at it this way - the closest 1:1 relative of our MT's and buggies are the racers that do the Baja 500 etc. I just did a search to see what suspensions they were using, and I was not able to find even one truck or buggy that had a cantilever type suspension (it was a short search). If it were the ideal setup, everyone would use them. I understand that wont necessarily translate into our hobby, but it was rather striking.

Lastly, the radio adjustments you speak of I feel ARE necessary. Being able to set end points especially will help with the longevity of servos. Panic brake settings can help shave off time on laps, I could go on. As Jefx pointed out, people new to r/c could probably care less about things like that. Racers on the other hand are another story. The synthesized radio is also a must. How many times have you gone to a race with 200+ people? You only have 6 channels, and that's IF you have a whole set of crystals (not expensive I know, but a hassle nonetheless). So you get to the track, and there's a line of like 20 people for the 27mhz frequency clips. You might as well forget about practice laps... So is the radio necessary? For racers, ABSOLUTELY!
Old 01-20-2006, 04:30 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I have 5 complete TQ3 systems from my Traxxas days. I don't sell it because I'm terrified someone will have the runaways I had back when I was a newb and used 27mhz AM radio equipment.

Someday you will learn the benefits of better radio equipment, but it's kinda ridiculous to say it doesn't matter.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:58 PM
alvinl

2DMax, I see you also had problems keeping the bottom on your old Traxxas radios. I cannot for the life of me get the bottom battery cover to stay on. I now have velcro straps around it so the batteries don't fall out while my son is driving.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:11 PM
jefx

You just said that a lot of people just can't do it... which is why the Revo is so popular... and that's not the case... in my last post, I showed why the Revo was so popular... It's not because people can't afford the LST... it's because people prefer the Revo... and I'm sure that its lower price aids in the decision. Many of the people who are buying R/C's are noobs... so... the nicer radio means NOTHING to them. I will agree that the LST comes with a nicer radio, but to be 100% honest with you... my TQ3 allows me to pilot my Revo just fine. I wouldn't mind some of the tunability of the XS3... but... the TQ3 takes care of the job.... Why fix it if it ain't broke, ya know?

Exactly what I said. Alot of newbs can't justify the higher price tag, because they don't really know what they're looking at. Many other's just simply can't afford the LST so they buy a more affordable model that's still relatively new to the market (Revo).

Traxxas does a great job doing what they do. They designed the Revo with just enough flair to be attractive, yet cut enough corners to keep the price low. It looks like a bargain to a newb, but looks can be decieving. For a more experienced eye, the LST is a great value...............Even greater than the Revo, but it's not as easy for a newb to appreciate the value. Alot of people just can't see it.

If the TQ3 is fine for you, then so be it. After all, it works. But you don't know what you're missing until you try something better.

You can live without a TiVo, but once you have one, you'll never look back. The same principle applies to the radio gear. Once you try the good stuff, you'll never want the junk again.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:31 PM
A.B.U

I have a Revo and I love it... the LST's are awesome, too.... the LST2 WILL be my next MT purchase. I don't know how much help I can give. I've had my Revo over a year... I've beat it senseless... and it comes back for more. It has been a great truck for me.
When ARE you going to get an LST2? You've been saying that you'll get one for almost 2 months. Ahh I know why, You just wanna spend time with your REVO while you can, because once you get that LST you'll never drive your REVO again. It's all clear now.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:33 PM
2DMaxLST!!

ORIGINAL: alvinl

2DMax, I see you also had problems keeping the bottom on your old Traxxas radios. I cannot for the life of me get the bottom battery cover to stay on. I now have velcro straps around it so the batteries don't fall out while my son is driving.
Yeah, I had a problem with breaking them. Luckily it has a seperate part# but your velcro sounds like a workable solution!
Old 01-20-2006, 05:38 PM
A.B.U

IMO, the REVO is overpriced. Shouldn;t even be $50 more expensive than a T-Maxx. They both have about 7 pounds of.. pure PLASTIC on them. The REVO is way over priced, for such little it actually has to make it it's price, except the.. batery pack and charger. Which are baout $50 with a good deal. Traxxas isjst overpriced.. $460 or so how ever much a REVO is sounds al ittle steep for a pile of plastc.. No aluminum escept engine and chasis. :'(
Old 01-20-2006, 07:28 PM
RenegadeRevo

lstracerx - You're right... the Revo is not the first vehicle to have cantilever suspension... however, it is the FIRST MT to have the "F1-inspired" inboard shocks and suspension setup .... It's a great system, and it is what draws many people to the Revo... (Not the price...) Its awesome handling and great acceleration has also impressed many R/C'ers.(including pros). The fact is... the "old" style with upright shocks has a HUGE flaw... and that would be the shock towers. I've seen so many of those break it's not even funny. The LST just looks like another Monster truck... they just have different gimmicks. Not saying it's not a great truck and doesn't have great features... but there's really nothing that sets it apart from other trucks (other than it's big shocks...). Again... many people don't care about the radio... I've had the TQ3 for over a year now... and I have had NO problems with interference, runaways, or anything else (other than a dead battery rendering my truck useless at the end of my 6th lap). You are correct... the Baja 500 example doesn't translate into R/C unfortunately. The F-1 setup on the Revo has been proven to be a great setup... so, why argue? Again... don't need to fix something that isn't broken...

2DMaxLSt - Never had a runaway with mine.. in over a year... it's called a "throttle return spring" and a "fail safe" I must be one of the few that doesn't have the cover problem... hmmm...

Jefx - Although you may BELIEVE that's the case... price is not always the deciding factor. I will grant you that for newbs... radio doesn't make a hill of beans difference... I'm sure when I get a better radio, I might not like the TQ-3... but, right now... it allows me to pilot my Revo (with stock electronics, btw) just fine... for many... the justification of buying the LST is just not there. As I said to Jefx... to an untrained eye... the LST is just another MT... nothing special.

AnotherBoringUsername - I will get the LST when I'm ready... my business has been a bit slow, so it is quite hard to justify spending the money on an LST2 right now... plus, we're buying a new house... and I'd rather spend that $700 on something that would benefit my new house... and the acquisition of it... but, when I get the new house... I'll probably get an LST2... Now, about the "plasticity" of the Revo... do I really have to spell it out AGAIN? [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3746195/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]Post #19... read it... [/link]

So... tell me what is heavier... 7lbs of plastic on a 9lb truck or 7 lbs of aluminum on a 12lb truck? Oh, and... since you decided to bring the whole "plastic" argument into this whole thing.... out of aluminum and plastic... which one gives... which one bends rendering it useless? Which one costs more to replace? Hmmmm... So, if you like aluminum so much (since you always bring out the "plastic" comment...) why don't you have an all-aluminum truck? My "plastic" Revo holds up to one heck of a beating...
Old 01-20-2006, 07:49 PM
RCtruckRacer

lstracerx - You're right
Yep!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:57 PM
alvinl

Revofamily, I do not really like the stock Revo radio but I must agree with you about the stock platic parts on the Revo. I am not sure what they do to their plastic, but it is 10 times more durable that I ever anticipated when I first opened the box. I just wish the bodies were made of the same stuff
Old 01-20-2006, 08:03 PM
A.B.U

Yes, on that post, you're comparing the things that are uh.. VISIBLE. the tranny in the LST isnt plastic, nor are the diffs, I dont think theyre plastic on the REVO, not quite sure, CVDs on it arent, and the whole chasis is basically aluminum, except the Side rails.. also, gotta look in it, :O Low and behold, the servos, are metal too! See, more aluminum/metal or w/e you want to call it. Same with the MGT, not sure about the Savvy
Old 01-20-2006, 08:11 PM
twin34

what is a good upgrade motor for the revo?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:17 PM
A.B.U

Compared to the TRX 2.5? Basically anything..
Old 01-20-2006, 08:52 PM
goodin

I decided to go with the Revo instead of the LST2 for several reasons:

1. I got a sweet deal, new in box 430 shipped.
2. They carry most parts at the hobby store down the road for Revo, and very few for LST2.
3. I already have the battery and charger for the quick start (I use them for my TMaxx). I would have to spend 60-70 more ontop of the 650 to get the accesories for the LST2.
4. and yes, the Revo is more than 200 cheaper which is attractive to me being a semi-beginner. I don't feel I would justify the difference.
5. Oh yeah...I cant seem to find any aftermarket wheels for the LST2...I really dont like the white discs.

I think Traxxas did an excellent job marketing the Revo. It is cheap enough that a beginner will buy, and quality enough to be a top racer. It's a good all-around truck in my opinion. But I belive if the LST2 was alittle cheaper...say around 525 I would have considered buying it more strongly.

So how much does the OS .18 engine cost?

Later - Goodin

......by the way, I will sell my Tmaxx for cheap if anyone is interested
Old 01-20-2006, 08:59 PM
alvinl

I think by the time you put the OS .18 in your new Revo, you will have invested about what the LST2 costs. Enjoy the stock motor and when it get weak or you get bored with it, upgrade then. Just my opinion.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:01 PM
RCtruckRacer

The 2.5r is not a bad engine. Very powerful for its size. It can be somewhat of a pain to tune, and they don't usually last more than around 4 gallons or so. But, the brightest bulbs often burn out the fastest. Most people that upgrade the 2.5r, go with the OS .18. It's a very high quality engine.

The F-1 setup on the Revo has been proven to be a great setup... so, why argue? Again... don't need to fix something that isn't broken...
Are you joking? At no point was I arguing that the suspension wasn't good. My Point: While the suspension on the Revo is fantastic, it is neither revolutionary nor the greatest system. If it were the Michael Jordan of R/C suspensions, every company would be using it on at least one of their trucks. Its awesome, but not the greatest thing since sliced bread. I also never mentioned fixing it. Like I said, its a great suspension. The Revo has a fantastic suspension. The Revo's suspension works great.

As far as the radio is concerned, you failed to make an argument against ANY of the points that I brought up, and instead you made remarks regarding things I never mentioned. Why? Probably because I AM right. Yep, the TC3 will work great for your average basher. But just TRY and run 7 stock Revo's (or any trucks with a 27mhz radio system), and you run into a big problem. Again, the TC3 will work perfectly for your average basher, but not for people who like get together and bash with lots of friends, or racers.

The 1:1 buggy reference is the best analogy (that's where you compare things) available. I submit that your 'F-1 style" suspension is not the know-all end-all simply because its not (at least widely) used there. It sure is for On-road racers, but not off-road. Since the Revo is designed to be mostly used off-road, I believe the comparison to be a fair one.

Not that I am dis'ing the Revo's suspension. It is great, its not broken, and does not need to be fixed. The Revo is one fine piece of r/c truck, and anyone should be happy to own one!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:19 PM
A.B.U

ORIGINAL: goodin

I decided to go with the Revo instead of the LST2 for several reasons:

1. I got a sweet deal, new in box 430 shipped.
2. They carry most parts at the hobby store down the road for Revo, and very few for LST2.
3. I already have the battery and charger for the quick start (I use them for my TMaxx). I would have to spend 60-70 more ontop of the 650 to get the accesories for the LST2.
4. and yes, the Revo is more than 200 cheaper which is attractive to me being a semi-beginner. I don't feel I would justify the difference.
5. Oh yeah...I cant seem to find any aftermarket wheels for the LST2...I really dont like the white discs.

I think Traxxas did an excellent job marketing the Revo. It is cheap enough that a beginner will buy, and quality enough to be a top racer. It's a good all-around truck in my opinion. But I belive if the LST2 was alittle cheaper...say around 525 I would have considered buying it more strongly.

So how much does the OS .18 engine cost?

Later - Goodin

......by the way, I will sell my Tmaxx for cheap if anyone is interested
OS .18 is like $200. For that, you could've gotten an LST1, which has a better radio, engine, etc. The reason why the LST isnt cheap is because it has tons of parts in it, an expensive after market Engine, $200 dollar radio, list goes on. That's why it isn't $30, like the REVO.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:48 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: lstRacerX
Not that I am dis'ing the Revo's suspension. It is great, its not broken, and does not need to be fixed. The Revo is one fine piece of r/c truck, and anyone should be happy to own one!
Then, what's your point? The Revo has been set apart from "the rest" by its well-performing small block... and the suspension setup. If you're not arguing about the fact that the Revo is a well-handling truck... then why argue with me? I'm not saying the Revo's suspension is the end-all be-all... I'm saying it's a great setup... and it's the ONLY one that's really different than the rest... which would be "revolutionary"... if you would like... you can look up the word at dictionary.com... ah.. heck, I'll do it for ya...

revolutionary
adj 1: markedly new or introducing radical change

Hmmmm... by that definition, the Revo's suspension would be "revolutionary" to the MT world. End of point.

As far as the "radio".... I've owned my "crappy" TQ-3 for over a year... bashed with several buddies... and even went to the track 2 or 3 times... and have NEVER had any issues. Let me explain why... First off... the guys I have gone bashing with... are on different channels... and I am never bashing with more than 3 guys at a time... OR... they have an FM radio (one of my friends has a Spektrum... and gave his XS3 from his LST to my other friend who installed it in his Revo)... at the track, most people don't have AM... due to what you said... but... noobs that want to race usually get a new radio. (If I wasn't ONLY bashing, I'd get a different radio)... again... if it ain't broke... don't fix it. I'm definitely not saying anything bad about the XS3 or any other FM radio for that matter, I'm simply saying that for the "general" basher... the TQ3 does JUST FINE.

AnotherBoringUsername - plastic parts are generally lighter and cheaper than their aluminum counterparts. Just because the LST has metal in the transmission, and the CVD's does not make it "better" than the Revo. Yes, I was doing an at-a-glance comparison in that thread. I did not dig deeper because I didn't feel it was necessary due to the fact that everyone says it "looks" too "plasticy". I can tell you I have NEVER broken a driveshaft in my Revo... so, why would I think that aluminum CVD's are better? Sure, they look cool... but... who cares? The only gear in the Revo that is "weak" is the reverse gear.... unfortunately, they did not do a great job with that gear... but, the rest of the Revo transmission is relatively bullet-proof. After the FOC conversion, the Revo tranny can handle GOBS of power with no problems whatsoever... I even know people without the FOC that have used larger engines without issues.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:51 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: AnotherBoringUsername
The reason why the LST isnt cheap is because it has tons of parts in it, an expensive after market Engine, $200 dollar radio, list goes on. That's why it isn't $30, like the REVO.
The LST comes stock with an [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN0887]expensive[/link] aftermarket engine????
Old 01-20-2006, 11:05 PM
RCtruckRacer

Then, what's your point?
My Point: While the suspension on the Revo is fantastic, it is neither revolutionary nor the greatest system
revolutionary
adj 1: markedly new or introducing radical change
So if I stick a bannana on my LST it will be revolutionary? Come on dude!!!

(If I wasn't ONLY bashing, I'd get a different radio)...
Again, the TC3 will work perfectly for your average basher, but not for people who like get together and bash with lots of friends, or racers.
Thanks for making my points more valid. I do appreciate it.

The LST comes stock with an aftermarket engine????
Hardly. I dont understand that one myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.