Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

buggy or truck, for truggy competition.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

buggy or truck, for truggy competition.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:17 AM
nitromouse
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buggy or truck, for truggy competition.

I'm interested in competing in the Truggy Monster truck class at my local track. I want opinions on whether to convert a buggy to truggy or go with a flat chasis truck like the Ofna Dominator to compete with. Im on a budget and was considering going with the buggy conversion for the dual option (buggy or truggy). I have some chasis in mind, but wanted opnions on which is favored among racers (truggy convert or flat chasis mt). I have a T-Maxx for bashing, so this will be for competing only. Any and all opinions are welcome. [&:]
Old 01-23-2006, 12:28 AM
SublimeJason
Banned

Default RE: buggy or truck, for truggy competitor.

You could Try one of these,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...SI_PR4_PCN_BIX
Old 01-23-2006, 12:29 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

the truggy will easily own a truck in a race. They are designed for racing. The truck is made for bashing, and will not be as suited. Though it may seem that you drop more into the truggy in the first place, you will end up spending a lot more money on getting a truck race-ready
Old 01-23-2006, 12:37 AM
dustin7837

Yeah, the hellfire looks sweet!!
Have you ever checked into CEN's Funfactor series? You can use the same chassis for a MT, ST, buggy, or rally just by changing the suspension and adding/removine the 4wd parts. I have a buggy and an mt2. The MT2 with an OS .18 CV-R will do well over 50 mph. Probabaly about 55 or so. My 2wd Buggy with the stock .16 engine will do about 48 - 51 MPH. These units are made for racing and are sturdy and easy to mod/work on. and DURABLE
Old 01-23-2006, 01:00 AM
nitromouse

Thanks fellas, I'm looking at 1/8 scale racing. I already have a stadium racer and monster truck (T-Maxx) I guess I should have put that in the original post. Your input is appreciated though. My lhs dosen't support Cen equipment, I looked at it when I first got into nitro. My Maxx has the 21 conversion but I bought it for bashing and don't think it would handle as well as a buggy or a low riding flat chassis truck.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:30 AM
MBX5T Maniac

Default RE: buggy or truck, for truggy competition.

Just get the buggy, and convert it to a truggy. That way you can race in both classes, and gain racing experience. Get a buggy like the Inferno if you want a kit, or a Jammin Kit. The Jammin is the best bang-for-the-buck buggy, and isn't too expensive either. It's like 450 or less on ebay, and 500 on websites. A good budget motor is the O.S. .21 RG, and get a JP-1 pipe for a tighter track, or a JP-2 for a track with a long straight. Or both. Either way, the JP-1 provides more torque, and the JP-2 gives more top end.

Then just add your electronics.

You could also buy a used Jammin kit for like 300-400 dollars. Just beware: the engine in the used cars are sometimes trashed.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:21 AM
karlracing
My Feedback: (9)

buggys converted to truggys are not as good as purpose built truggys, or st's. the lightening pro-r will blow away any converted truggy in handling. its an awesome,race proven truck and the pro-r solves many of the earlier problems. i seen the kit for 409 bucks somewhere. i just ordered mine from the lhs and will pick it up friday!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:58 AM
MBX5T Maniac

And then the Jammin XR-CRT will eat the Lightning alive. When I say convert, by that, I mean two things:

1. You can just buy the Pro-line 23 mm buggy adapters. then you install a truck body onto it.
or
2. You do a full cconversion, including longer chassis, a-arms, and cvds.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:35 AM
binaryterror

You will never find a conversion keeping up to the new breed of special designed and tuned race truggies. Short of the MSR (mugen) kits for the Kyosho, MBX-5, or the Team Helotes X-Ray XB conversions.

It's both cheaper and faster to start with one of the new Truggies built out. Jammin X-CRT, GS Storm SUT CE Edition, HB Lightning Stadium Pro (or -R), HPI Hellfire (too new to judge weaknesses yet), Thunder Tiger ST-1 are going to be the best bet to get you on the track in a race ready form without extreme cost or time.

And a Dominator will never even compete...sorry.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:07 PM
karlracing

i did a lot of researc on here because i was going to conver my hyper 7 into a truggy but the cost to do the full conversion and the end result of that compared to a new st led me to the lightning as a better choice. also the jammin is having its share of problems and a lot of people are now selling them and sticking with the race proven lightniing. but in glad we have so many choices so we will have lots of different trucks racing at the track. this class is the future !!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 05:34 PM
nitromouse

I figure that a purpose built truggy would be the way to go (storm, lightning, jammin, etc.), I was concidering the Xtm Mammoth St, seen alot of mixed reviews on that one. Who makes the lightning truggy? Im trying to find a kit for around $400. I've seen the Gs storm for about $425 in kit form. I have'nt been on ebay yet, I prefer this site, more honest reviews and opinions. I'll have to look through RC Caraction for some reviews as well as Extreme RC to see the chassis layout in detail. Thanks for the input, keep it coming.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:58 PM
MBX5T Maniac

wanna-b-nitro, mind telling me these so called "problems"?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:23 PM
karlracing

herse a couple posts i copied

in my opinion NO!!! ive had nothing but trouble with mine and so have all the other racers at my track. i took mine last weekend to practice and came off a soft jump landed rear wheels 1st and broke both rear hub carriers and the wing stay mounts. well i upgraded my rear hubs to aluminum ones and stocked up on wing stays! i went back to my track yesterday to try it out in racing and it did handle good ill give it that but i broke 2 wing stays and my front brake cam bearing went bad causing the front brake to stick lucky for my pit buddy had an extra one. there were 3 of us runnin jammin s and we all talked about how we love the way it handles but cant stand how weak this thing is. out of the 3 jammin trucks im the only one who finished the 20 min. amain and thats cause i took it easy on it and finished 4th over all. i didnt even bother runnin my new 528 rossi i just ran my collari 21. i cant imagine runnin a brutal 528 in this thing. like i said though it really does handle nice and it very forgiving but im cleaning mine up as i type this and will be putting it on ebay and will sell it with the 528 and a starter box no radio gear. im gonna wait for the kyosho pro kit 777 to come out. kyosho is much higher quality. DONT BASH ON ME PEOPLE THIS IS MY 2 CENTS!!!!

Folks at my local track (revelation raceway, california) are selling the jammin truggy as fast as they are buying them. These are good racers and they say it does not handle as well as the Hot Bodies and has reliability problems. I saw the Hellfire last night, great looking in the design and handling but very expensive. I would go Hot Bodies pro.

The Jammin plastic gets VERY brittle in the cold. My front bumper exploded into 4 pieces on a 5mph impact.

theese are from 3 different people and if you searsh you will find much more. im not saying dont buy this truck, with a few hop-ups it will be a great competetor for my lightning pro-r kit which by the way is made by hot bodies
Old 01-23-2006, 08:11 PM
MBX5T Maniac

I don't care if 1 or 2 people talk bad about it. There's the possibility of flaws, or outright lies
Old 01-23-2006, 08:21 PM
discgolfer72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

off to the track to race ill let u know how my truggy holds up even tho its based off a 20 year old car
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30310.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	393992  
Old 01-23-2006, 08:46 PM
karlracing

hey mayhem maniac , do you own the jammin?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:57 PM
revopqrs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

of course not! hes argueing about what people who have em have said? parrot.... ive naver heard of any probs with the jammin, buy now i have! im not going to doubt what owners of the truck say.
if truggys and monster trucks race in the same class then get a truggy for sure! ive heard people complain about the lsprr too so i dont know what would be better? the hellfire is too new to really know if it is worth the money. its a tough choice!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:20 PM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

I don't care if 1 or 2 people talk bad about it. There's the possibility of flaws, or outright lies
The Jammin is flawed as heck if you ask me. It has horrible on power steering, like the Lightning. On Power steering will win a race...off power steering anything with a center diff has. No stock chassis "Z" brace on a $600 kit? JOKE.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:07 AM
karlracing

are you saying the lighning also has bad on power steering?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:25 AM
EG1

Once the hellfire kit comes out & the flaws surface I'll probably be grabbing one. Turning my savage into a racer would be retarded.

I hear about people beating truggies w/ MT's and can only wonder what the heck is going on...
Old 01-24-2006, 05:41 PM
MBX5T Maniac

Truggies are 1/8 buggies, with truck tires, and extended chassis, and a-arms.

1/8 buggies are much tougher than MT's, and they are also better racers. The two thing handle pretty much the same, with the exception that the truggies handle rough stuff better than buggies, but won't go around as sharp as turns, and they can absorb larger drops without bottoming out than 1/8 buggies.

MT's are not designed for racing, which is what truggies are specifically designed for. MT's have a higher CG, and they will roll much easier. Also, the buggies/truggies include a center diff, which can be used to tune the handling of the truck, a feature not shared on the MT's

edited just for revopgp, since he can't seem to realize something.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:57 PM
revopqrs

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

1/8 buggies are much tougher than MT's, and they are also better racers. The two thing handle pretty much the same, with the exception that the truggies handle rough stuff better, but won't go around as sharp as turns, and the can absorb larger drops without bottoming out.

lol... ohh my! dude do you have a mt? i see you claim to have a lst? i have both and that statement is absurd.... i drive a mt because of all the reasons you say the truggy is better! truggy handles the rough stuff better? pllllease! and about the sharp corners...i think a truggy will out turn a mt. and not bottom out! are you kidding me? look at the bottom of a truggy or buggy theyre usually hammered from slapping the ground!! mine is currently sitting in a box in peices, if it were better at any of the things you claim id still be driving it!

everything you say is bad advise! ive never even once thought, hmmm maybe this dude knows what hes talking about! heres your sign!
parrot....
Old 01-24-2006, 06:08 PM
MBX5T Maniac

I meant handle the rough stuff better than a buggy, as well as the not bottom out. Look at the difference of ride height between a buggy, and a truggy. there is a slight difference.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:31 PM
revopqrs

ahh i see, your talking about truggys and buggys, ya just threw mt right in the middle just to make your post unreadable! even after your edit it makes no sense...

"1/8 buggies are much tougher than MT's, and they are also better racers. The two thing handle pretty much the same, with the exception that the truggies handle rough stuff better, but won't go around as sharp as turns, and the can absorb larger drops without bottoming out.

what grade are you in? reread that and tell me it doesnt look as if your talking about a buggy and a mt?
and again...