Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Homebrew customizers! Metalworkers! Best process to drill through hard steel?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Homebrew customizers! Metalworkers! Best process to drill through hard steel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homebrew customizers! Metalworkers! Best process to drill through hard steel?

I need to put some 3mm holes on the pinion gear output shafts from my Xfactor so I can use some TMaxx sliding driveshafts. I haven't tried to drill them yet, I just heard it can be challenging.

I was planning on using a good carbide tipped bit in my Mikita with the pinion gear securely set in a vice. Maybe start small and step up a few sizes and use cutting fluid.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Dale Gribble

Default RE: Homebrew customizers! Metalworkers! Best process to drill through hardened steel?

I need it to look like this-

Old 01-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Anomie

Default RE: Homebrew customizers! Metalworkers! Best process to drill through hard steel?

3mm is not too difficult. A carbide tip will do nicely, and for steel you want a slow speed with plenty of pressure. Too fast and it will heat up too much and may cause the metal to glaze, and that's when you lost the sharpness of the drill bit. Make a good mark with a center punch for the bit to follow.

good luck!
Old 01-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Dale Gribble

Default RE: Homebrew customizers! Metalworkers! Best process to drill through hard steel?

Thanks dude! Sounds good. I just discovered that the holes are for M4 size pins, but that's just a hair bigger anyways.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:48 AM
michelob78

Use a solid carbide drill bit. A milling machine or at least a good drill press will make life easier.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:31 AM
binaryterror

A Note about Carbide tools, be they drill bits or mill tools, start them OFF the part then take them to the part at full speed, otherwise you can damage them.

Also try cooling it...like they say, slow speed and pressure heats up those bits WARM, so use some tapping oil or even after run oil to help the cutting and cooling.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Nismodriver
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

Also try cooling it...like they say, slow speed and pressure heats up those bits WARM, so use some tapping oil or even after run oil to help the cutting and cooling.
All good advice above! For small drilling tasks, I cool the bit with brake parts cleaner or drill chill. If I'm doing heavier drilling, I use a good oil.

John
Old 01-28-2006, 01:02 PM
sarroopoo

Be sure to center punch it, don't just pass that tip off without thinking about it, if you don't punch it first the drill bit will "walk" and wind up messing your part up. take it slow, drill a little bit then back off to let the bit cool, if you go too fast you could end up snapping the bit, as far as cooling i would suggest either cutting oil or denatured alcohol, both work good. Probably not a good idea to use a hand drill, want to use either a press or milling machine like previously mentioned. seeing as it's only about 4mm there is no need to do steps to get to your size, that would just be wasting time. also for chucking it up you probably should either make some v-blocks out of wood, or buy a set, they make grabbing round objects so much easier.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Longhair

Use the correct size drill the first time.

Drill press, correct feeds & speeds, coolant.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:31 PM
fz1

To also help keep it centered drill a hole in a swuare block of steel first and cross drill the size hole you want to make into its center. Then put the pinion in that hole and use it as a drill jig. Helps keep it centered. Even a center punch on a round shaft can walk off center if you are not carefull. Sometimes the mating part can also be used to do this if carefull.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:17 PM
sjm
My Feedback: (8)

Good tip...........it's the only way I would attempt it
Old 01-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Dale Gribble

I took a shot at it, and then took the parts to a machine shop... 12 pack of Corona on Saturday.

Guys couldn't believe how hard the steel was. They thought it might have been a hardened coating, but they actually lost a few tools while machining the parts. Wow! Thanks for the help, but I knew when I couldn't even center punch the part, it wasn't even worth it for me to do it.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Anomie

Yeah if it's hardened, that's tough to get through. Sounds to me like that's a 12 pack well spent.