Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

what should i get? : MGT 4.6 or Savage 25

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

what should i get? : MGT 4.6 or Savage 25

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 04:51 PM
shoebag_ape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what should i get? : MGT 4.6 or Savage 25

hi, my friend just got a savage 25, and after a week he busted his fuel tank. anyway it looked awesome so imm gona get an MT, but im not sure between a savage 25 or a MGT 4.6? i heard people say both are good, and both are bad. i will be mostly bashing, so what do you lot think i should get?
Old 02-05-2006, 05:34 PM
A.B.U

Default RE: what should i get? : MGT 4.6 or Savage 25

Get the MGT or wai till the Savage X comes out to make him jealous
Old 02-05-2006, 07:30 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

If you're gonna get a Savage, yeah, wait for the X.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Slipracer

Go for the Savage X when it comes out...Ive got a savage and it is extremely durable the X just adresses the main issues with the savage. It looks great too
Old 02-05-2006, 08:44 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

Spend the xtra cash and get an LST2.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:35 PM
shoebag_ape

hmmm...ive heard alot of people talkin about lst's/lst2's but i cant realy find anywhere that sells them in the uk, or that sells aftermarket parts for them.

yeh i saw the savage x, i wasnt sure if it was built peifically for racing and wasnt sure if it was worth the money. but i love the new shell!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:59 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the new Savage X was built specifically for racing, but I think HPI tried to make it easier for people to make it race worthy. I think they are trying to break out of the sterotype of our truck can only bash and not race.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:53 PM
claudacio

ORIGINAL: alvinl

I don't think the new Savage X was built specifically for racing, but I think HPI tried to make it easier for people to make it race worthy. I think they are trying to break out of the sterotype of our truck can only bash and not race.
I do agree with you 100%, there is alot more crosses of racer/basher's out there and that will only run a savage and have to spend alot of money to really make it contend with the more racier stock MT's out there. Its nice to see HPI is thinking of them and making it easier.

I dont know man, I cant say anything bad about the savage, but I have dont my time with it and wont go back to it again. I got a LST2 recently and I'm just amazed with it, compared to a maxx racer I built, and a savage LE with a k4.6 that I had, neither one can touch it in any way, shape or form.

I still say find an LST2, but if its hard to get parts for then you have to go with what you can get. Although remember all LST1 parts fit the LST2.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:26 AM
shoebag_ape

hmm, yeh but like i said i cant find anywhere that sells them really
so anyway, i havent heard much abou the mgt 4.6, anyone got one? how is durability and speed?
Old 02-07-2006, 03:27 PM
alvinl

I have a friend with the MGT 4.6. It is a nice looking truck, clean design, easy to work on. It is also fast. But he was replacing parts in the transmission within 2 weeks of buying the truck. I am not sure it was all the trucks fault, the forward/reverse button on the radio is in a VERY bad spot and sits right under your thumb. Plus, unlike the Revo, it has no device to keep it from going into reverse while you are driving (or in mid air coming off a jump which is what i think happened to my friends truck). If I were to choose between the two, I would choose the Savage. But, I have also been bitten by the 'Savage bug' and have a bad case of 'Savage fever', so don't choose based just on my account. The Savage X is not out yet, so it will be impossible to get these trucks side by side to see which one you like the best, sorry. But the Savage X is built on a solid foundation and incorporates a lot of changes to address most of the common complaints. IF the X is as durable as the 25, I think it will be a fantastic truck.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:45 PM
hybridstone

Its called foc The mgt is a better kit than the savage period! The mgt is a true 1/8 kit and its design is alot easier to work on. Team associated had been building r/c 's since the early 70's and hpi started in the late 90's experiance wins.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:30 PM
gerryd81

[8D] I've had my MGT 4.60 for 3 months now. Backyard bashing, mud running and 8 feet in the air and all I've managed to do is bend my flag. Truck is solid as a rock. LHS doesn't stock a lot of parts so I bought extra control arms, tie rods, pins and even a spare diff of ebay. I would like to sell my sons TNX and by another MGT
Old 02-08-2006, 01:59 PM
snowbl!nd

ORIGINAL: alvinl

Plus, unlike the Revo, it has no device to keep it from going into reverse while you are driving (or in mid air coming off a jump which is what i think happened to my friends truck).
It must just have been a fault with your friends truck, as the MGT does have such a feature. Unless the revs drop low enough, it will not switch from forward to reverse or vise versa.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:00 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: hybridstone

Its called foc The mgt is a better kit than the savage period! The mgt is a true 1/8 kit and its design is alot easier to work on. Team associated had been building r/c 's since the early 70's and hpi started in the late 90's experiance wins.
HPI has been around at LEAST since the mid 80s. get your facts straight.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:16 PM
claudacio

I got my brother the MGT SE for xmas and it is a good truck. Its like a giant T-maxx but much better. As far as the tranny shredding issue I think that was with the original version, the SE comes with all metal gears in the tranny. Thats not to say they cant be torn up, but I highly doubt the .28 engine that comes with it will do it any damage. I will have to say that the engine in the 4.6 savage SS kit is a much beefier engine than the MGT's ( I would only consider the SS or X versions of the savage). I wasnt really all that impressed with the MGT's engine out of the box. Recently I bought myself a novarossi for my LST2 and decided to put the m427 from the LST2 in the MGT. I dropped 4 teeth on the spur right off the bat and it helped but that truck is geared really low, but not once did that truck ever pull the wheels off the ground with the stock engine or otherwise as of yet, although we dont have much time with the mach in it, I just got a proper 1 peice pipe and header for it so I'll see how it runs with all that and a larger CB.

But you got yourself a real toss up between trucks, the savage... pretty much the toughest truck ever built, and the MGT which like someone said is a true 1/8th scale MT, it really is quite a bit bigger than the savage and ALOT easier to work on, there is plenty of room on the MGT chassis, as where the savage you have to fight to get into the radio box to either charge a receiver pack or change batteries. You also have to completely remove the engine to make any kind of gearing change. I honestly would say of the choices you have presented go with the MGT, honestly you really cant go wrong with either, but I have had a savage LE and like I said my brother has the MGT and if I had to make the choice it would be the MGT.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:31 PM
hybridstone

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: hybridstone

HPI has been around at LEAST since the mid 80s. get your facts straight.
My facts are straight!!!how about yours lol "at least since the mid 80's"?? it seems your not to shure yourself so what hpi model was around in the mid 80's hmm???
Old 02-09-2006, 12:09 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

No, I'm not sure, but at least I don't make a stupid statement like the "late 90s" when the original RS4 came out in the MID 90s, and at that time they were already a known name in RC.

go here http://www.hpiracing.com/tour/history.htm

i was right, eat it
Old 02-09-2006, 01:44 PM
shoebag_ape

ok, ok! calm down everyone, i dont reali care when they started. i already no theyre a brilliant rc company from my experience
Old 02-09-2006, 05:06 PM
hybridstone

No need to get all pissy there skippy! Just because your gettin all your info off the internet while mine come's from real life r/c experiance! Fact: hpi did not become a major player in the Industry until the late 90's fyi` in the mid 90's hpi was a small aftermaket company they put out there own r/c and by the late 90's they started to compete with the big dogs like Team A/Losi ect.... But you probally already knew that huh?

(("HPI has been around at LEAST since the mid 80s")))~ Hey Junkie get your facts straight! you should have went over to your little hpi history site before ya typed out that one!! lmao