Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

warhead clutch,skidplates

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:52 PM
yakdick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warhead clutch,skidplates

i've been reading the forums about the clutches in these things being poor. i've got 3 tanks of fuel through mine and i'm thinkin about upgrading the clutch but the info that is given is confusing...i have a stock engine and would like to know what parts with part numbers can be used.. i don.t know if i should just change the shoes or the whole clutch...also this is my first rc besides the cheapy electric ones from radio shack so i don.t have any knowledge about it...

also my steering arm broke but instead of sending it back used some cold weld all around it and then i'll put 2 little bolts through it to strenghten it... is there an aluminum set of skid plates available yet? my front undercarraige one is bust and same with that plactic piece that holds the steering idler arm and the steering saver arm...

oh ya if your looking at buying one of these get the electric starter box for it... i pulled the recoil rope out once and then 10 pulls later the the thing the rope wraps around split in two so now i use a 12mm socket, 1/4 in drive snapon swivel and long extension on the crankshaft and start it with a drill until the starter box i ordered shows up.....

Old 02-19-2006, 02:44 PM
spacoli

Default RE: warhead clutch,skidplates

Here is some shoes that will replace the stock shoes. I have the savage replacement, seem to be working fine so far. They are wearing fast though.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXDLJ2&P=K

I might try the hot bodies next.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXDLJ2&P=K

Anything after that your looking a three shoe replacemnet and need to replace the whole assembly.

I have had the same skid plate breakage twice, I will be looking into a aluminum replacement soon as it comes avalible. The whole steering assembly is weak with the radio tray and front center skidplate holding the bellcrank post. Any larger hits the front wheels take, these components are going break.

Some people have been reinforcing the bellcrank/servo saver assemble with JB weld and kevlar thread. Here is how I did mine.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_36...tm.htm#3868715

This fix works. My son took a large front end hit and broke the radio tray,bulkhead and front center skid, but the bellcrank/servosaver held.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:18 PM
yakdick

thanks... both of your clutch links go to the same clutch set though.... if i want to upgrade to a three shoe clutch what do i need? i have no experience with these nitro trucks at all....
Old 02-19-2006, 10:35 PM
J_ME65

Go take a look at warhead fixes. On page 1 about half way down there is a couple different setups to choose from that both seemed to have worked well, and I think they are both the 3 shoe. If you want to stay with 2 shoe, the hot bodies have worked well for a few people. I have a set for myself, I just haven't put them in yet.
Good luck either way
Old 02-19-2006, 11:00 PM
wrheadnut

ORIGINAL: yakdick

thanks... both of your clutch links go to the same clutch set though.... if i want to upgrade to a three shoe clutch what do i need? i have no experience with these nitro trucks at all....
#10402 Ofna clutch bell
#10040 Ofna flywheel
#10011 Ofna aluminum clutch shoes blue
Old 02-20-2006, 01:08 PM
yakdick

thanks wrheadnut for those numbers...i'm orderin them today
Old 02-20-2006, 08:49 PM
yakdick

what is that plastic gear that is driven off the clutch gear called? do i have to use a duratrax one or is there another one that will work?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:51 PM
danny f norman

Thats the spur gear and you do have to use it i dont think anyones figured out if any other ones work yet
Old 02-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Tyler Durder

That's called the Spur gear. As of right now I do not know of an alternative spur gear but I am actively trying to locate one, ideally one with less teeth. Anybody out there know of one we can use?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:03 PM
danny f norman

i think ash is working on getting the savage spur gear to work
Old 02-20-2006, 09:33 PM
J_ME65

Ash was working with a savage, but he also has changed everything else out so I don't know if it'll still work for us even if it does work for him. Just call DT, they'll send you a new one free, and they normally don't go out too quick, just make sure you have it set right.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:11 PM
yakdick

i just took my warhead apart and the engine bulkhead broke where the 2 fuel tank screws go through so i think the motor probably moved and took out my spur gear....i took the clutch apart while i have the engine out for the 3rd time and it's just wore down to the spring....it.s only bin runnin since last thursday night and have run about 5 tanks through... broke parts so far- recoil, rear driver side bulk head,front skid plate, radio tray,radio tray lid,engine bulkhead,spur gear, clutch shoes[].... i'm still havin fun with it though but it gets frustrating... i'm just gonna order this stuff and in a couple months i'll send all my busted parts in for exchange....hopefully i won't have to send the whole truck in haha....