Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
HPI Savage X
54.72%
Traxxas Revo 2.5R (not 3.3 cuz its too much $$$)
45.28%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Which is better for a "noob"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 11:10 PM
BAMF90
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is better for a "noob"?

Which is better and why? This will be my first nitro truck and I just can't decide what to get! I will do a little bit of both, bashing and racing.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:13 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: Which is better for a "noob"?

Because the Savage is miserable at racing, I have to say Revo
Old 03-21-2006, 11:18 PM
BAMF90

Is the Revo a good basher though? Or will it need mods to make it a basher?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:18 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

I'd go with the Revo,Its easyer to work on and handles better than a savage....
Old 03-21-2006, 11:25 PM
A.B.U

All out bashing and minimom breakage with little to no racing, go with Savage. Moderate Rading.. few bashing, go with the REVO. IMO id go with the REVO.. EZ start, comes with a battery.. "Friendly" radio.. and is much easier to work on..
Old 03-21-2006, 11:28 PM
BAMF90

Is Revo a good basher out of the box though? Cuz I want to buy the truck to have "FUN". Well mostly to drive around with my friend. He's got a Mammoth ST. What mods will be needed to make the Revo a true "basher".
Old 03-21-2006, 11:32 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

dude, get the revo, they rock. Fast, tough, great basher, great racer, you'll have lot's of fun with it. Plus like EVERY RC track or shop sells parts for it.

Revo's are awesome, anyone who tells you otherwise is an imbred.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:37 PM
BAMF90

How fast is a Revo stock? Is it really the 40mph stated on the traxxas website? Is the engine good? How is that "EZ" Start? Also what is a good aftermarket site for the Revo?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: BAMF90

Is Revo a good basher out of the box though? Cuz I want to buy the truck to have "FUN". Well mostly to drive around with my friend. He's got a Mammoth ST. What mods will be needed to make the Revo a true "basher".
Right there...that word "FUN".....get an LST2

I'm a big Savage fan, but they don't come with the little extras like rechargeable rx packs and chargers like the Revo and LST2 do. They require a more in depth setup to be really ready to perform. They are great for a newb to operate because they are so durable, but I wouldn't say they are the best choice for a first truck. You also need to upgrade HPI steering servos right off the bat to really have fun in my opinion. The Revo comes with a decent steering setup and the LST2 has a pretty good one. The HPI radio sucks as bad as the Traxxas one does, but the LST comes with an awesome one. A quality radio makes a TON of difference. The LST2 is just a fun truck that comes very well equipped. Great engine, great radio, good tires, awesome shocks.....just buy like 5, no 10 extra sets of suspension arms with it.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:46 PM
BAMF90

Well I'm on a budget, this being my first truck. I'm trying to keep it $400-450. I'm starting to lean towards the Revo. Is it possible to get rid of reverse and how? Also will you need the big block conversion to drop in a RB Concepts TM323?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Chronic

The TM323 bolts in. It comes with everything you need for it. My buddy has that engine in his and it runs pretty good. You can remove the opti-crap and reverse and do a forward only conversion for about $12.

Wait to see if you like racing before you upgrade the engine. The OS.18 is probably a better match for the Revo if you plan on seeing alot of track time.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Old_Guy

Hi ilikenitrorccars:

I see your back and with a new nick name...

But with the same old Revo, Savage, Mammoth ST.. LOL

WoW
Old 03-22-2006, 01:17 AM
bauerbach

seeing them race, revos were really tearing up the track. they werent out handling me with my LST, they were outdriving me, but they appeared easier to drive because they werent such a load in the corners. the LST doesnt lose control, it slides through it with perfect control ; seriously, I cant describe it any better. I am in complete control all the way through the attempt to brake and turn untill it smacks the wall. but thats my fault for not learning when to brake and such. thing is the revo is just more forgiving about that though(wont help them when I learn how to drive and can play demolition derby with them they often tried to mess with me as 1 LST2 in a pack of 9 revos and tmaxxs, they never won those battles)

you hit something at 40mph(which their all basicly get within a few mph of each other, revo being at the top end of the range even with the 2.5 motor) your going to the hobby store. I dont care what you have. its all got plastic somewhere, it will all break. sometimes crap happens and itll break at a slower speed, owell. traxxas parts are sold everywhere you look. great for quick solutions.

but really consider all your options; I understand trying to save money, but then you mention an engine change. you get 1 car, one base platform. you can upgrade everything and anything else. but that platform is all you have. at the end of the day if your talking about engine mods and who knows what else, does 400 vs 600 matter as much? maybe it does, thats how I looked at it though and went with the LST.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:07 AM
BAMF90

Thats how I would like to look at it, but as much as I would like this, I don't have money coming out of my ears. I would like the LST2, but then it would take me almost twice as long to just get a car. I am only 14 with no job. I will be caddying over spring break but thats it. Hopefully money starts raining on me.

(EDIT): Also is it possible to convert the Revo to 1 speed?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Chronic

(EDIT): Also is it possible to convert the Revo to 1 speed?
No need......it will convert itself to NO speed within a week of buying it.

hahahah J/K-------had to.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:54 AM
RCtruckRacer

If you are going to race (and if you ever race once you will likely be hooked) then get the Revo. I have met about 1/2 a dozen bashers locally, and have gotten 4 of them to the track. 4 of them are now racers. I bet those guys still bash around a little, but I also bet they do it at the track more often than not!

I've posted this before, but its worth it to sound like a broken record if I can convert even one person to racing:

Original: JP Turner

For those of you who have been racing your RC cars for years, and have a friend or two who you have been trying to get out to the RC tracks, this article is for you. Feel free to forward it to them.

For those of you who are fanatical bashers, and have avoided racing your rc cars at the local track, hear me out, because I have 5 great reasons you should take a run at it.

1) Hanging out with other RC car enthusiasts- You will absorb new ideas on how to keep your RC cars running at peak performance, just by hangin' out in the pits. Not all of them will be good, some could even do more harm than good. but if you are careful who you listen to, you can learn some terrific stuff that will make your ride handle better, run faster, and be more durable.

2) The game within the game- Its not just about racing, and being first in the heats (altho, that is a huge thrill) but its also about pushing the limits of your RC cars, and fighting agianst the track itself in a measureable way. When your bashing, you don't really get a precise way of knowing how fast your vehicle is. When you race, you will actually know to the millisecond what your vehicle, limited by your driving skills, can do.

3) By being at the tracks, you get to see the latest RC technology in action- You can go to the hobby stores and look at boxes of RC cars and buggies all you want. But if you really want to see what a Hot Bodies Lightning Pro or an XRAY T1'FK05 can do, there is no better, and cheaper, way to do it than hang out at the tracks. You get an even better idea when you race against them.

4) Making new friends- Not that you need new friends, but it's great to have a friend who knows RC cars tips and tricks. Someone you can ask questions, or bounce ideas off of. Or catch rides to the track when your full scale car is in the shop.

5) Just like when your bashing and you finally nail that jump you set up in your backyard, mastering a track is a total rush- Everyone will tell you when you first start racing rc cars, just try to do crash free laps. Isn't that essentially what you are doing in your backyard?

Why not take your Monster truck to the track, and do some racing, and see if you can handle the track's jumps and rhythm sections? I bet it will be months before you have a crash free lap. Howse that for a challenge?

If you have put off racing rc cars because it looks intimidating, your worried you will make a fool of yourself, or smash up your car or buggy, or piss off someone by smashing THIER car up... well, your right!! All of that can happen!

In fact, when I first started racing my RC cars, I made every racing mistake there is. I embarassed myself, I smashed my poor little car up, I was totally confused. Frankly, I didn't have much fun.

But, I fought through it, learned from my mistakes, got some great advice, and now I enjoy every weekend at the track. I strongly suggest you give racing a chance. I think it's the best way to enjoy your RC cars hobby.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:19 PM
BAMF90

Chronic are you saying Revo sucks?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:33 PM
bauerbach

why would you want to convert it to 1 speed? Im somewhat understanding less rotating mass... but any gains youd get from that would be heavily offset by the complete loss of high or low end speed/power.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:38 PM
BAMF90

I've heard that landing on the wrong RPM's could kill your whole drivetrain. I really don't want to do that. Also is it possible to get rid of that Opti-Drive? And how could that be done?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:39 PM
ssj2

I think he wants the truggy effect, like truggies have one speeds in them. Just a guess, huh BAMF? BAMF! LOL
Old 03-22-2006, 04:39 PM
A.B.U

Chronic are you saying Revo sucks?
No. he's saying the gears are plastic which = weak which in turn = stripped gears.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Ken448

Well, youre asking what good is a Revo that you cant afford more.. Then next question is Will this $220 engine drop into it?

IMO, if you are getting a Revo, great but if you are getting a Revo to put in a RB323TM in it, wait til you have enough cash to buy a LST2 if thats an option. You get a darn nice truck, big block power, and a real nice radio.

Im not trying to say Revo is a bad choice, but I WOULD say the RB is a bad chioce for a powerplant (seen too many of them fail) Revo is a great basher, I wouldnt count too much on going 40mph, but its plenty fast for a "noob" It handles really well, is really easy to work on and its pretty forgiving if you totally screw up a jump or two. However... The other questions.. The "EZ" start sucks in my opinion. First the blue wire will go dead (youll need a glow igniter after that happens) Then if you are pretty hard on the truck the EZ starter will break tabs off the motor. You can solder them back on but only so many times until you want to give up and get a roto starter (Hot Bodies Jump Start for $33 at Tower, thats what I had on my Revo when I had it) Ditching reverse will cost you $11 if I recall correctly but removes a lot of stuff. The dual steering servos work great as well. Only RTR truck that steers better than a Revo out of the box is a LST.

As for the "weak" plastic stripped gears. Set the truck up properly (slipper and mesh) and you wont strip the gears. If you do, then a new spur will set you back a whole $3.00. But a $3.00 spur thats stripped is MUCH better than a $25 trashed diff!
Old 03-22-2006, 05:41 PM
BAMF90

Wait, the Roto Start will fit the stock engine that comes with the Revo? Is so thats great. I will probably be getting an OS .18TM. And of course the FOC(forward only conversion). Then build up from there. I really like the LST2, but everyone has their reasons on why they get different trucks. I am someone who wants a Revo. I like the LST2 and have nothing against it, but I just happen to want the Revo.

Oh, and ssj2, you are right. I kind of want a truggy effect.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:04 PM
m0rris

I love my savage 4.6, but it has a lotta spur gear melting problems. My brothers revo is pretty nice it handles a lot better. I have to give the durability to the savage though. the revo is a tough truck also but not quite as tough as the savage. The revo is easier to work on than the savage and it ahndles better, but i still love my savage beacause of it durability.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Ken448

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEVM9&P=7

Towers prices have been out of hand latley, but theres the link for the Traxxas motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.