Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

What was everyone's first Nitro MT?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

What was everyone's first Nitro MT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 04:01 AM
Puppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What was everyone's first Nitro MT?

My first nitro RC was a Testors Dune Buggy w/Cox .049 engine back in the mid 1970's - that thing was a complete piece of crap.

The crappy plastic worm gear drive would strip out constantly, the TX/RX was extremely glitchy and the servos were way too weak and the engine was hard to get started, hard to tune and way underpowered.

After that I switched to RC planes but after destroying a couple in nasty nose dives I gave up RC for several decades... at least until I got my first nitro monster truck which was a first generation Traxxas T-Maxx I bought about 6 or 7 years ago.

I have kept it all original (except the air-filter) and aside from replacing the ez-starter motor, one-way bearing and a couple of screws (that poped out after jumps) I havent had any problems with it.

I still occasionally fire mine up and run it around the track just for kicks (its still alot of fun to drive).

But my favorite nitro MT is my Savage 25 .... its wicked tuff & wicked quick.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:51 PM
saltywheels

tmaxx wheelies nonstop with the picco 26, but the engine is not the greatist. Its either idle or wide open. Dosent run worth a crap at mid throtle. I think the carb is WAY TOO BIG. But thats just me. I think I'm going to put my a brand new 2.5R engine in that my dad has.

Heres a cool pic when my dads mach 26 blew-up. It was not his fult. He was just taking off and the connecting rod just snaped.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:23 PM
bencw

LST 2.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:51 AM
bob1492007

MAXX 3.3 [>:]
Old 07-04-2007, 06:43 AM
Maggster
My Feedback: (2)

mine was an XTM mammoth, dont follow in my footsteps please!
DITTO! I now have 2 Monster GTs and this Mammoth. The Mammoth gets driven about 1/10th as much and worked on more.[]
Old 07-04-2007, 07:06 AM
jonnzzo

red cat volcano sv pro, JUNK!, I was pretty upset when it fell apart during break in. then couldn't find the parts I needed. so I got a t-maxx 3.3, fast and powerfull, but broken most of the time. palstic drive components can't take the pwer of the 3.3, frustrated again, I got a savage 4.6 with aluminum apgrade off e-bay. great truck, tough.
I would get the savysave ya about $1000 maybe more in the long run
Old 07-04-2007, 07:20 AM
ttoks

first was a revo 3.3, seconds was a revo 3.3, both are still running, started modding one and gave the other to my little brother, third MT will be an LST2.

the revo is in my opinion a great truck to start with, i always had good luck with it, i guess i must have been one of the few people to read the manual...
Old 07-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Rice_slayer

Was and still is my Warhead. Wanted to upgrade to LST this year, but I love my warhead lots, only probs are factory defects that I have mainly fixed (Crappy bellcranks, now alloy, horrible clutch, now a 3 shoe i got for free, i have a bump box so no starting issues, racing tank with O ring which means I have NEVER experianced the lean issue, and have still yet to replace the worst part of the truck, the super pooper.) Other than the factory problems, I love it! It really takes a beating and I love the chassis design. It is a great truck for someone who came into nitro to break and fix and find cheap budget fixes .(My upper suspension arm with a nail through it and glue holding it togther is a great example, its now literally tough as nails and hasnt broken!)

Although, I have owned(and still do) a electric Team Losi Mini T, and Losi XXX-S 27t stock class touring car. Planning on getting an E-Savage next year or something just to screw around with in my yard.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Elite_Tux487

monster gt 4.6.....wheelie machine... A very good beginners mt. Its pretty damn durable. Its pretty fast too...also a torque monster.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:35 PM
wht92lude

t-maxx 2.5, i never broke one part on it except the spur gear, which was my fault for not tightening the motor down as much as i should have. i still have it its fully hopped up now, waiting for the os.18 tm and itll be done. since i have bought a pro .15 maxx, no problems yet but ive also only had it for a week if its as tough as my 2.5 is ill be happy. i run my trucks VERY hard and i see no problems at all with the t-maxx.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:55 PM
duckedup

ORIGINAL: bob1492007

MAXX 3.3 [>:]
Check the date on the previous post (#53) - May of '06!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:57 AM
RXXX3R

Duratrax Maximum ST/MT.

They are the same basic thing...yeah. Mine started off as an ST (non pro) with a Torq .16 engine. The engine lasted about 8 gallons and then the head came off (from newbie overheating and overleaning and that crap). The metal became so soft that the bolts holding the head on just fell out... LOL it was so soft that later on I stuck a small screwdriver into the hole and pushed it to the side. It bent as if it were made out of playdough. I replaced (note that before this, the only thing I ever replaced was the airfilter, once. Never even a spurgear) the engine with an O.S. 18 CV-RX. First thing that went out was the clutch, then the differential. I replaced the differential with the upgrade hardened steel one. That one broke too after only a few tanks. I then locked the diff with some overnight epoxy and then the swingshafts started breaking off (twisting in and snapping). Then I put the optional CVDs in and then the drive cups with the grub screws became ground down and I had to replace those. I replaced them and locked the little screws with epoxy too. Then the output shaft on the differential broke off and that was the end of the truck for a looong time. I bought a Maximum MT off ebay about a year later and replaced a lot of stuff and got it up and running with the Torq .16 from the MT. Two speed tranny made it faster :P

Basically, the Max's are good trucks until you put something more powerful in it. When I put that O.S. in there it was like kicking an old man down the stairs - nearly everything got broken! D:<

I now own both an XTM X-Cellerator (has the O.S. in it) and an XTM XLB. X-Cellerator was like night and day when compared to the Max ST/MT. XLB is like night and day when compared to the X-C (in terms of toughness, speed is about equivalent, though I suspect the X-C to be a little faster). I plan on soon either getting the XTM MMT or the AE MGT. If not that, then an X-Terminator2
Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Elite_Tux487

Yeah my second nitro vehicle was a maximim st. Honestly it was the worst nitro vehicle I ever had. It worked great for a week. Then the clutch bearings went. The reciever got damaged internally causing interference past 2 feet from the TX. Then I got a nice air leak around the back plate and the OWB failed.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:48 AM
SOILWORK

My very first rc was a Traxxas Sledgehammer, a earlier version of the Stampede and a Tamiya Blackfoot. I always wanted a Clodbuster back then but it was to expensive at the time.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:14 AM
guy4x4

Mine was a CEN MT2 and it was a piece of $#!% broke on anything it touched and the gears were real cheap.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:06 PM
SAVAGEJIM

My very first RC is an HPI R40 touring car. Since it came with a catalogue, I thumbed through it and was hooked on the Savage!

After several months of bidding (and losing) on on-line austions, I scored a used Savage 4.6 SS kit for $50! I had to rebuild the engine (it was toast) and do toss in some elctronics as well as other minor stuff, but to this day, I still have that Savage!