Old 04-01-2006, 11:14 PM
rpstar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Old Tamiya Monster Truck worth Saving?

I have a couple of questions from an RC newbie (me).

First, what does "2-channel R/C system with FET" mean exactly in the specifications of a radio for car/truck kits? I don't understand the FET part?

I'm wondering because I have an old Tamiya (25 yrs old or so) monster truck I just recently got working again. Problem is, second time running it the wires melted on it and I can't immediately see why. It has an old mechanical speed control and a Mabuchi 480rs motor on it (I think this is a 540 motor since anther place it says Mabuchi 540 on it). I powered it with a NiMH 8.4 volt 3300 maH pack which I was led to believe is what it needed (ie: 8.4v) but based on the "melting" I'm guessing the pack was too powerfull? I don't see anywhere that a short would have occured.

Basically, I'm wondering if its really worth trying to salvage this truck or just use its parts on another kit? The body is hard plastic which means its easier to damage. The front steering is very poor and the little ball cups keep popping off the steering arms (don't know the technical terms here) so it seems like the front-end need redesigned anyways. To give you an idea of how old this truck is it says "Datsun" on the tailgate.

The radio is a Futaba FP-T2L with FP-R2GS receiver. Could this be easily used with another kit or would it not fit the bill based on the "FET" part mentioned above?

Any further information or advice anyone could give me would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- RP

Old 04-01-2006, 11:51 PM
The_Collector

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Old Tamiya Monster Truck worth Saving?

Post a pic please.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:28 AM
86atrack4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would clean it up and display it,or shelf it.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:04 AM
mdscheu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would hold on to it, might be worth something to somebody. I long for my old Kyosho Javelin RC car. I would love to get my hands on an un-opened kit again.

As far as salvaging radio parts, I would not bother or risk using them in another car due to the age. Melting wires is prolly due to running a 7-cell NiMH batter, most of the cars from that era where designed for 6 cell NiCD's. I am sure the old resistor type speed controller played a part in the melting too. Did the wires melt near the resistor? Those things used to get so hot, it was like an instaneous burn if you just glanced it with your fingers after running them.

As far as the "FET" just a acronym for field emitting transistor. Prolly referring to the design of the radio and reciever. You used to hear the term alot with Electronic speed controls.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:35 AM
marshon50
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i think it's a tamiya bruiser and is definitely a collectors item.....go to [link=http://www.tamiyatrucks.com//index.php?/index.php?s=&act=idx]tamiyatrucks.com[/link]
Old 04-02-2006, 09:13 AM
rpstar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, I'll post a pic later today. If its a collector maybe I'll put it up for sale on the market or something. I'm guessing the speed control definitely had a part in the melt as mentioned above since the melt was close to it (really it occurred most by the batter plugs themselves). I'll go ahead and rewire it and make sure it still works, clean it up, and either display it or sell it.

I looked up the Bruiser and unfortunately that is not the truck I have - it's a much less expensive truck than that.

Thanks,

- Russ
Old 04-02-2006, 10:26 AM
RCtruckRacer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FET is field effect transistor - its a type of circuit used in low strength signal applications. Dang, I guess I did learn something in DeepFry Institute of Insanity - Also known as DeVry.

Its an old radio, not very likely to be very comparible to todays radio standards. If you liked the truck, fix it and keep it as others have mentioned. You never know when you may want to pull it out again. If only for the nostalgia!
Old 04-02-2006, 01:22 PM
rpstar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, here is a montage showing the truck.

- RP
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19454.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	437600  
Old 04-02-2006, 10:58 PM
86atrack4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is a tamiya BIG BEAR!
Old 04-03-2006, 07:35 AM
binaryterror

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Someday people will learn, Tamiya never made the Big Bear.

Marui, a company in great competition with Tamiya in the early RC days is the manufacturer of that truck. You have a Marui Big Bear. Here's a link to a restored one: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...id=36066&id=16

Sadly the Big Bear is not a huge collectable, its rare, but the Tamiya name tends to bring in many more $$'s than Marui.

3300 with 8.4V would easily have caused the problem. Those old mechanical speed controls are not very durable, and over jucing them with a new high powered 7 cell pack is dangerous at best.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:25 AM
rpstar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok thanks for all the input. I can see from those pics I'm missing the roll bar! Dang. I guess I will probably just paint it nice and set it on the shelf as the motor was blown out also by the "accident". Oh well. It went like heck with that battery in it but with only 2WD and its poor steering it really was not very good offroad. I want to get some 4WD 1/18th trucks/buggies to race on a track through our small forest in the backyard with my son which should be fun.

Thanks again for the help.

- RP