MastElmo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default First Nitro Monster Truck Questions

I've finally decided that the time has come for me to venture into the world of Monster Nitro Trucks. I've been racing an electric Team Associated Stadium truck for a few years now. I'm out for some advice. The only advice that I've recieved so far is purchase a brand that my local hobby shop carries the most parts for so that I don't have to wait on mail order.

So guys what should I be looking for?

Is RTR better than buying a kit and doing a build up for my first nitro?

Asside from the array of tools that I already have assembled for my electric what other basic tools will I need to get started in the world of nitro?

Thanks in advance for any and all information.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:07 PM
snowbl!nd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: First Nitro Monster Truck Questions

Well you're not going to find many MT kits availible, so you'll be looking at RTRs. Once you've stripped it down a few times you'll know it inside out, just as if you had built it from scratch.

You'll need fuel, glow starter & charger, glow plugs, glow plug wrench, 5 cell Rx pack & charger (you should be use your existing charger), air filter and after run oil. That's about all i can think of, if you've got a large selection of tools already you should be covered.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:03 PM
mdscheu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You also might want to consider a starter box too depending on the truck you buy. The pull starter variety seems to let loose after awhile. A few of the trucks today have roto start and electric start available.

I would also suggest running through the forums prior to buying your truck and take a look at parts that are wearing out or breaking on a regular basis to stock in the tool box or get upgrades for them.

Mark
Old 04-05-2006, 06:31 PM
bauerbach

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey, from a first hand perspective of a guy in georgia, your main source of parts is going to be one of the hobbytownusa's i assume. with that in mind, they predominantly carry traxxas parts. you'll find a bit of the more commonly needed other stuff for other makes. like they had the spindles and carriers for the lst, and arms, that kind of stuff, but if I needed a new chassis or something, they wouldnt be of any help.

good news is that killer hobbies is in alabama and carries almost everything for everything. so 99% of the time, thatll be next day delivery with USPS priority mail for about 5$. thats one reason I had no qualms with getting the losi despite lack of local indepth support.

and the stuff you can wait on, hobby town orders from horizon hobbies any part you want, pay up front, and its ussually 2 days delivery for no charge.

with that said, at sugarbowl you'll see 80% revo's and tmaxx's for whatever reason. their quick and agile, thats for sure. out of 10 people, I was 1 of 2 LSTs. didnt see any other makes.

I too had stadium trucks and buggy. team losi though on both counts. both electric. sugarbowl stopped racing the electrics a while ago due to lack of entries.

now that I got nitro, its a hoot. fuel, fuel bottle, the rest youve got basicly... it should come with it. might need a glow starter. I think any major truck brand has rotostarts of some sort at this point, so a starter box should be a nonissue. being that you raced electric, you should have the rotostart battery and charger covered, it uses the 6c packs. I just cut the rotostart plug off, soldered in a deans plug, and bam.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:39 PM
reese_19

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

whats going o yale i have a question can volcano stx 1/10 scale nitro off road truck beat a traxxas revo,t-maxx,and s-maxx