Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default MGT transmission question

Hey all,

I've been running my MGT a lot lately, and have noticed the past few runs that I can not tell AT ALL when/if the two-speed tranny is shifting. I've adjusted the set screw as outlined in the manual, but can't see any difference either way on acceleration. The only thing I hear that I might be able to identify as shifting is when coasting to a stop from a reasonable speed, there is a point where the engine revs for a second--I'm guessing it's dropping down from second into first. Any clues what could be going on, or any idea what a baseline setting should be--something like "tighten the setscrew all the way then back out X number of turns to start with" would be helpful. Also, any idea what the top speed would be in first gear if it's not hitting second at all?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:20 PM
snowbl!nd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: MGT transmission question

Just checked mine - it was about 2 1/2 turns out from fully screwed in. So between two and three turns out it should definately be shifting.

Top speed would probably be around 25ish in 1'st gear - if you suspect it's not shifting then i'd tear the tranny apart and check that the 2-speed hub is still located on the shaft, the grub screw may have come loose.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:22 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanx, snowbl!nd.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My mgt is really hard ro hear shift. to test mine i just picked it up and gave it some gas, you will know when it shifts into second, a sudden burst of speed.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Bria1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You're not going to notice it when it down shifts because the clutch at the engine has disengaged. If you're not sure if it is up shifting, try accelerating with less throttle, like around 1/2 and gradually give it more throttle if it is not shifting. This will make the shift more obvious.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:06 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bria1

You're not going to notice it when it down shifts because the clutch at the engine has disengaged. If you're not sure if it is up shifting, try accelerating with less throttle, like around 1/2 and gradually give it more throttle if it is not shifting. This will make the shift more obvious.

Have tried that; still can't hear ANYTHING that sounds like it's shifting. FWIW, it is defeinitely revving on deceleration, EVERY time. so whatever is causing it, I doubt it's a radio glitch. I understand what you mean about the clutch being disengaged when decelerating and it makes sense, but I can't figure out what the heck else could be doing it. Anyway, I checked the transmission tonight, and the set screw was about 4 turns out from fully screwed in, so I re-set it to 2-1/2 turns out--I wonder if it has just been running in 2nd all the time? Hopefully, the rain will let up and I can figure it out tomorrow...
Old 04-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Bria1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Revving on a decel could be the engine is too lean or the clutch is dragging. Does it look like it has good top speed like it is in 2nd, or does it rev up real quick and not build any more speed like it is stuck in first? With the 2-speed adjustment that far out, it could just be jumping right into 2nd off the line. Depending on the clutch bell and spur you are using, it may still accelerate quite good.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:32 PM
snowbl!nd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BuzzBomber

ORIGINAL: Bria1

Have tried that; still can't hear ANYTHING that sounds like it's shifting. FWIW, it is defeinitely revving on deceleration, EVERY time. so whatever is causing it, I doubt it's a radio glitch. I understand what you mean about the clutch being disengaged when decelerating and it makes sense, but I can't figure out what the heck else could be doing it. Anyway, I checked the transmission tonight, and the set screw was about 4 turns out from fully screwed in, so I re-set it to 2-1/2 turns out--I wonder if it has just been running in 2nd all the time? Hopefully, the rain will let up and I can figure it out tomorrow...
Try 5 turns out - seriously. After suggesting 2-2/2 turns out previously, after i reset it to that it would not shift, couldn't figure out why. Must have made some mistake when i counted how many turns out it was (sometimes you can't tell if the driver is in the grub screw).

It's set to exactly 5 turns out and is shifting perfectly.