rc skillz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default savy X or MGT 4.6

i want a truck that i can jump as high as i want to and not have to worry about it breaking. i understand something will break sometime but which would be a better choice: savy X or MGT 4.6??
Old 04-13-2006, 06:26 PM
alvinl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: savy X or MGT 4.6

Of those two, I think the Savage would be your better choice for jumping. It really is built like a tank and I think it will hold up better. But the MGT is a nicely built truck. You really won't go wrong with either choice.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:51 PM
Wide Open

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

personally im an mgt guy, so thats what im going to recamend. ive found everything on this truck to be awesome. plus its really fast. if it helps at all i recently made a video of what ive been doing with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkQO_xqk2Lg

but as youve gotten good opinions from both sides i think it might be a little hard to decide. theyre both good trucks.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mgt, huge tires great suspension, big motor. I love mine.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:44 PM
BugattiFreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have a savage X, and let me tell ya, it jumps things that would break other trucks. although its not as fast as the MGT or whatever, its one hell of a truck. i never seen a MGT run in person before, just make sure you see them run in real life before you make your choice. video destorts a lot of the "feeling" of the car. and so you know, i jumped my X off a 15FT. gap a few days ago on its first off road tryout, and it took it easily. also, hpi support is great. just look out for a few defects of the car. email me at bugattifreak@hotmail.com if you choose to buy a savvy and ill send you a list of what you need to watch out for. make sure you send me an email before you break it in. good luck.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:12 AM
Bria1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wait a minute. Are there a few defects or a whole list? Why don't you just post it here?
I haven't seen the Savage X run so I can't speak for that. A friend of mine has a Savage SS. It's a good bashing truck. I have the MGT 4.6SE. It's a very good truck and very durable. It's good at bashing and racing.

ORIGINAL: BugattiFreak

i have a savage X, and let me tell ya, it jumps things that would break other trucks. although its not as fast as the MGT or whatever, its one hell of a truck. i never seen a MGT run in person before, just make sure you see them run in real life before you make your choice. video destorts a lot of the "feeling" of the car. and so you know, i jumped my X off a 15FT. gap a few days ago on its first off road tryout, and it took it easily. also, hpi support is great. just look out for a few defects of the car. email me at bugattifreak@hotmail.com if you choose to buy a savvy and ill send you a list of what you need to watch out for. make sure you send me an email before you break it in. good luck.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:30 AM
mikewoodkozar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No doubt if you are going to jump it like crazy get a savage
Old 04-14-2006, 04:42 PM
BugattiFreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HERE IS THE LIST OF DEFECTS, ITS A SMALL LIST, JUST GOT TIRED OF POSTING IT ON FORUMS:
1. spear gear strips easy, after about 2 off road runs, but easily fixed (suposed). i just replace mine, its only 5$ anyways
2. it uses philips screws, hex dont strip as easy.
3. its kindof a pain to work on, because so much stuff in the way, but you dont realy ever work on it. it never breaks. and if you do break it you deseve the inconvienance.
4. steering servo just a tad bit week, so replace with metal gear once that one breaks or if you wana race.
5. not as fast, but tough.
6. pins on body tend to fly off when off road, and some bolts need to have thread lock on them. so thread lock them before you decide to go off road.
7. one bolt tends to come off that holds on the break. but you can just tighten it with some pliers
8. last thing, one gear in the starter may strip, and if it does, HPI will replace it for free, so no worries. (the whole starter not the gear)

realy cool thing, wheelies, not a defect, just thought i list it. my old car never wheelied.
also, hpi has fantastic support, and theres much more good than bad.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:29 AM
racing redneck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the only defect on the mgt I have seen is that thay used red lock tight on some stuff in the drive train.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Bria1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's not a defect. Drivetrain components are under more strain than other screws so they may come loose with blue loctite. It is a pain to get them out, but you can usually heat the screw up with a soldering iron and it will melt the loctite enough to get it out.

ORIGINAL: racing redneck

the only defect on the mgt I have seen is that thay used red lock tight on some stuff in the drive train.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:50 AM
hobbystore

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I work at a hobby store and I can say that both trucks are the great choice. For someone a bit less experienced the MGT rocks because of the lay down chassis. THat makes it easier to work on. I can also say that the MGT is durable as all hell. The Savage on the other hand is my personal truck of preference. I have the X, and can say that this truck rocks. It is a far better jumper than the MGT, but when and IF you break parts, it can be a little harder to work on. Not as bad if you went with the X though instead of the SS. I don't think that in the last year or so I have only sold 1 set of arms for the savage.
Both trucks are great. MGT is a good solid truck..... Savage is still the best monster truck out there for the $$. Also, check with your LHS (local hobby store) to see what they carry the most parts for. May be important.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:35 PM
stingray5280

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ERE IS THE LIST OF DEFECTS, ITS A SMALL LIST, JUST GOT TIRED OF POSTING IT ON FORUMS:
1. spear gear strips easy, after about 2 off road runs, but easily fixed (suposed). i just replace mine, its only 5$ anyways

That alone is a major pain , you have to pull the pipe and motor , switch out the gear and then takes 10 minutes to reline the mesh while the truck is upside down , I hated it ...

I have never had to replace my MGT spur gear and if i did it is one nut and no remeshing , 2 minute job and your back having fun , the savage spur gear ends your day becuase if you dont lok-tite you ;ll get it all back togetther and strip the gear again .lol
i;ve had it happen. sold it .
Old 04-16-2006, 04:11 PM
redfox03

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

how easy is it to get to the diffs on the MGT?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Pyrotechnic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MGT ALL THE WAY!!!!!
Old 04-16-2006, 07:16 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

loc-tite the spur? the savage x is easy to work on, rtemoving the spur doesnt require removing the engine. the old savage needed it but the X just need to pull the top of the tranny case off. it doesnt strip that easily, just back the nut off 1/4 turn from fully tightened and mesh it properly and make sure the engine mounting screws are TIGHT. spurs havent been a problem for me. the savage will be better at jumping and more durable so that would make it the truck of choice...the savage x is very easy to work on after hpi's revisions. hpi listens closely to its customers. i have yet to break my X from a jump.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:09 PM
snowbl!nd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: redfox03

how easy is it to get to the diffs on the MGT?
5 mins tops. 12 screws in total (all easy to get to)
Old 04-17-2006, 02:14 PM
dracy69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

6 screws and bout 2 mins for a savvy x. just FYI. but i admit lining the dogbones to get it back in can be a pain.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:26 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HERE IS THE LIST OF DEFECTS, ITS A SMALL LIST, JUST GOT TIRED OF POSTING IT ON FORUMS:
1. spear gear strips easy, after about 2 off road runs, but easily fixed (suposed). i just replace mine, its only 5$ anyway
Only if you don't make sure to check your mesh before breaking in your truck
2. it uses philips screws, hex dont strip as easy.
use a high quality set of screwdrivers. I've yet to strip one of my phillips screws.
3. its kindof a pain to work on, because so much stuff in the way, but you dont realy ever work on it. it never breaks. and if you do break it you deseve the inconvienance.
Easier to work on than my Revo was, and I have to work on it less than I had to my T-maxx.
4. steering servo just a tad bit week, so replace with metal gear once that one breaks or if you wana race.
Ditto that for every RTR MT aside from the LST. sick of acronyms yet?
5. not as fast, but tough.
faster and tougher
6. pins on body tend to fly off when off road, and some bolts need to have thread lock on them. so thread lock them before you decide to go off road.
again, you're not talking about body pins. He has no idea what you're talking about because he doesn't have one.
7. one bolt tends to come off that holds on the break. but you can just tighten it with some pliers
which one is that?
8. last thing, one gear in the starter may strip, and if it does, HPI will replace it for free, so no worries. (the whole starter not the gear)
Don't flood it is the easy answer, but yeah, from what other people have said, it's weaker than the original rotostart.
realy cool thing, wheelies, not a defect
DAMN RIGHT, wheelies rule!

also, hpi has fantastic support, and theres much more good than bad.
again, damn right!

Bugatti, sorry about picking apart your post..It's not intended to make fun of you, just pointing out a few things

but the stock motor has lots of guts, and you really *should* go up a couple teeth on the clutchbell. to run the kit-included 18t clutchbell you'll need to grind a little bit of material from front right of the engine mount.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:34 PM
dracy69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my clutch started to het up with the 18t but thats because i blipping the throttle around my backyard and doing jumps with it..
Old 04-17-2006, 02:52 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My truck never turned a wheel under its own power with the stock clutch, so you'll prolly know better than me
Old 04-17-2006, 04:27 PM
dracy69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lol...
Old 04-17-2006, 04:50 PM
BugattiFreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thunderbird junkie, first of all, dont you think i thought the engine was flooded? it wasnt. it was the gear. even hpi told me it was a defect. second... there are 4 pins on the body, which tend to come out, here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11991.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	446872  
Old 04-17-2006, 05:51 PM
dracy69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i just left those out, they dont serve too much of a purpose.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:27 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thunderbird junkie, first of all, dont you think i thought the engine was flooded? it wasnt. it was the gear. even hpi told me it was a defect. second... there are 4 pins on the body, which tend to come out, here is a picture.
that isn't the body! it's the CHASSIS.

And if the Gear was defective-which it may or may not be-why didn't mine get torn up? Mine came from the same batch that yours did.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:35 PM
thebowtwo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have had my mgt for about 4 months a gal and a half of fuel and no breakage axcept for the head on with another mgt[ouch] upper and lower arm,two shocks and bent upper arm mount and knuckle. it has with stood many end over ends and some pretty good jumps all in all i love this truck! there are six guys at work with them and we all have bashed them pretty hard including a jump over a 4 foot fence with out breaking any thing.

[mgts rule drive it like you stole it!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service