RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

How do you handle waiting for parts in the mail??????

Old 04-16-2006, 02:38 PM
psychorevo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How do you handle waiting for parts in the mail??????

Gee,

It's been an entire week and I am still waiting for my 3.3 engine for the Revo.

My new T- Maxx has it and it is a straight up gas of a time.

O, how I dislike waiting.

My Revo sits on stilts with no heart beat(engine has been removed). I wait, twiddle my thumbs, clean the frame and tires over and over till the engine arrives.

"O Santa, please come and deliver the presents already. I've been a really good boy."
Old 04-16-2006, 02:49 PM
mydartswinger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: How do you handle waiting for parts in the mail??????

While I'm waiting for parts, I drive one of my other cars. I have 8 that I can run, so when one goes down for repairs, I can run one of the other 7. Run your Maxx until you can get the 3.3 for your Revo. Or you can find something else to keep busy. I know it may be hard to fathom, but there is more to life than RC even though it may not seem like it. LOL. I totally understand the waiting, though. There's no decent hobby shops in this entire state. The ones that are here only support some brand that they can get a deal on, or what is popular in the area. Where I buy most of my stuff locally mainly supports XTM kits and AE 1/18 scale. For my Losis and RC10GT, I have to wait for mail order. That's one reason my GT was down for about 8 months.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:57 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I do the same thing, run another one. Only I have about 5-6 of them broken right now,,lol I order and then try to forget about it.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:08 PM
gtsum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I usually have my parts over nighted..if you order by noon, you have em the next day...a lot of times that is easier for me then running to the lhs (20 minutes away on the other side of town)
Old 04-16-2006, 06:34 PM
mydartswinger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If I had a decent hobby shop 20 minutes away, I'd say bump ordering. When I first got started in this hobby, I was in Sierra Vista, AZ where there was no decent LHS in town. I would make the 1 1/2 hour drive to Tucson to race/buy parts. I would do that if there was one anywhere near that close here. Here, I don't like to pay the overnight charges because it makes my order $40 more, so I'd rather wait the week to get them sent standard mail when I have to order parts.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:20 PM
ssj2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just try not to think about it, like put my mind on sumthin else. I know it's hard, but it's the only thing i've got. Too bad I don't have any other cars/trucks to run cuz, belieive me, I would run those in a heartbeat. If my Mammoth ST craps out on me for a couple of weeks/months, I'm what they called "Up a creek without a paddle, until I get my parts." I try to keep my ST safe so that doesn't happen, I try to keep the rubber side down. [>:]
Old 04-16-2006, 11:08 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

20 mins away and you order online.....
My nearest lhs is about 150 miles away and they only stock basics like fuel and A arms and spurs. No hop ups or upgrades at all.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:09 AM
bauerbach

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

often LHS, just to support them(I feel guilty for buying the truck online, but 70$ is more than I can swing in the name of good will) they take 3 days though; and as much as I like when I can get the part in hand that day and I like to support them for that service, they arent great about lst parts.

so I handle mail parts by living in the state next to killer hobbies, getting USPS priority for 5$, and getting it next day 99% of the time. thats ussually faster than I could have gone to the store to get the part.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:43 AM
gtsum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the lhs that carries losi is clueless about most everything to do with the truck. I seem to know more then they do, and for me, time is money, so yeah, I order online and it is worth the 20-25 bucks to get it here instead of sitting there twiddling your thumbs waiting for the package to show up so I can run the truck - that being said, I have driven 70 miles one way to pick up the lst2 as that was the closest place that had the truck at the time and i did not want to wait for one to be delivered - guess I am impatient..when I want or need something, I want it now..
Old 04-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I generally buy upwards of 3 extra parts of the most commonly broken areas. Such as the bulkheads, shock towers, arms, and now axles (bet you can't guess which one I'm talking about there) and this seems to keep me from going into down times with the inventory backup. It is costly but with my Nemesis mail order is the only way I can go as no LHS carries its parts but they do for my others. The only way I keep the cost down is through ebay, you can get the parts off the parted out kits for next to nill. For all the above mentioned I was only out 100 bucks. 8-arms, 4-bulkheads, 4-shock towers, 4-axles, clutch, and 4-spindles to be exact. The only things I lack for it is the servos, tranny, diffs, bumpers, radio/battery boxes. The most expensive was the axles, most everything else was around 5-10 bucks. Can't be too prepared for the little things. Here is another little tip, if you can, order from the same person as they will get to know you and be more apt to let you order with them on a personal level and avoid the whole ebay thing all together thus lowering your cost on future items, it may take a while but is well worth it in the long run. I just email my guy with what I need, pay, and he sends them out. 3 days and generally 2-5 dollars less than that of what it normally cost on ebay. My axles now run 15 with shipping, normally they would go for 25+ after shipping.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Rs43EVOman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW gtsum are you seriously wasting money on shipping when you have a LHS 20 min away!
Old 04-17-2006, 01:15 PM
gtsum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

like I said earlier, time is money for me...it is easier to order it and be done with it...$20 shipping compared to 40 minute round trip (during the day...not after work or during rush hour...then it would be an hour) is money well spent for me. (I will go up there if I need something right away..like today) - half the time they do not have the parts I want and I am surely not going to have them order it for me and have it take 3-7 days or whatever it is. My favorite hobby shop does not carry losi either (about 10 minutes away). I would gladly give him my business if he did - the hobbytown that is 20 mintues away, well, it is just easier to order it from tower or horizon (all for my personal situation of course..ymmv)
Old 04-18-2006, 03:44 PM
cenracer1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

gtsum... i agree with you... I have a hobby shop on my way home from work and another a few miles away.. its easier for me to just go on line and order what I need.. I just placed a tower order and an Ace Hobbies order.. last week I ordered from GS racing and custom rc cars. My biggest problem is the hobby stores don't stock what I want when I need it... especially for the cen and the gs sut... I do support them when I can but neither is open past 6 or 7 pm and I am usually later than that.. also, with the almost free shipping and no tax, the savings can be quite large....
Old 04-18-2006, 08:44 PM
jombo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i agree, i have a few local hobby shops around but most of thetime they tell me that they can order the parts for me. and i usto do that up untill it took me a month to get a part one time, (usually through the hobby shop it took 2 weeks.) well go and find out he didnt order my stuff because he didnt want to put only one order in[sm=stupid.gif].so now if they need to order parts i do it my self.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:42 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a very good hobby shop about 20 mins away and a good one about 15 mins away and I still order online about 95% of the time. The one thats 20 mins away is right on the border of Hillside and Newark (NJ... )... soooo I dont reeaallyy feel comfy going there because I have missed the exit before and landed smack dab in the center of a bad part of Newark I usually order on eBay... RCBoyz, Hobbie Guy RC, and RC Parts King are my favorites.