Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Monster truck frame tubing project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Monster truck frame tubing project

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 12:48 PM
rcengineering

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster truck frame tubing project

Hi everyone,

I want to build, on my own, a rc monster truck. I want it to have a tubular chassis. I read an article in rc car action a few years ago. I want to know if you have any websites or paper talking about that issue and if you have any personnal tips on how to do it or what material or technic to use. Also I want to know if I should start by buying an already existing monster truck and tear it appart to put the drive trains to my chassis or should I buy independant transmissions or should I build my own?

Thank you for your help if any!
Old 04-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Bria1

Default RE: Monster truck frame tubing project

Are you looking for a show truck, scale looking monster truck, rock crawler, basher, or racer? I built a roll cage out of some brass tubing and used silver solder to put it together. It is pretty strong, but I'm not sure how well it would hold together as the main chassis. Steel tubing being welded together would be the strongest.
Here is a picture of what I did.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63266.jpg
Views:	1717
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	441132  
Old 04-08-2006, 01:13 PM
rcengineering

im looking for a scale looking monster truck, but I still want to ride it. I know the welds might fail, is there other technics, I dont want to have a main frame made out of aluminum. I want it to be entirely tubing, brass is the only way I know.

Old 04-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Bria1

I only made that to be a roll cage. I've seen people make the entire chassis out of soldering brass tubing together, but as I mentioned before "Steel tubing being welded together would be the strongest."
Old 04-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

Would soldering be strong enough. I wanted to build a roll cage for my mgt. But if i landed it on its top would it crush.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Bria1

If you use silver solder, clean the joints, and use flux, it's pretty strong. I can stand on it without it bending or breaking apart. I also set a board against a wall at a steep angle, ran the usa-1 up it until it flipped over backwards and landed directly on the roll cage multiple times without it breaking. But that isn't the same kind of abuse you get when you jump 5 feet in the air and land on the roof either.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:50 AM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

Thanks for the information. I want to build one sometime.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Blues.man5
My Feedback: (5)

What I do is use automotive brake line tubing( it is steel, easy to bend and jig) silver solder and a tubing bender. Makes a really strong frame that won't bend like brass. Try it. Good Luck!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:01 PM
bauerbach

are you looking to have a great driver? or is it mostly just about the project and accomplishment of doing it?

I would think brass to be a bit soft as far as rigitidy goes. now an all aluminum frame could be interesting. but Id guess that to be difficult.