Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Adjusting Duratrax Warhead Gear Mesh...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Adjusting Duratrax Warhead Gear Mesh...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 03:09 PM
leealan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting Duratrax Warhead Gear Mesh...

I'm new to the RC Monster Truck world and have run into a huge problem. My Warhead strips spur gears as soon as I put them on. I have been doing some research and reading the manual and have come to the conclusion that this is because my spur gear and clutch bell are not meshing correctly. Only problem is I don't know how to adjust this...if anyone could give me specific instructions on how to do this it would be grealty appreciated. Thanks, Lee Alan
Old 04-20-2006, 12:37 AM
freerider6_9

Default RE: Adjusting Duratrax Warhead Gear Mesh...

A gear mesh is how the gears fit togetehr put simply. You want this to be set so it is not so tight that the gears bottom on eachother and you dont want it to loose that the gear barly contact with eachother. A trick to use when stting this is to take a strip of regular photo-copy paper about as wide as the gear and run it between the clutch and the spurgear., If it folds like fan then its most likly alright and if it doesent really fold then its to loose and if i rips the mesh is set to tight. Also check the slipper to see that your not setting that to tight and that it will slide instead of stripping the gear. I can explain this whole thing better if needed.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:31 AM
leealan

I understand everything you have told me to do except checking the slipper. I'm not exactly sure what this is. A little more explanation on this would help. Thanks again, Lee Alan
Old 04-20-2006, 09:46 AM
McFly505

Before you get too far into this, READ the owners manual. It will tell you what the slipper clutch is, what it does and how to adjust it. It should also tell you what you need to know about gear mesh between the spur and the clutch bell.

The 'strip of paper' method works but still leaves them a little loose for my taste.

Here is how I set mine on ALL of my trucks. I have found this method to work with plastic as well as steel spurs.

The spur WILL have some runout (wobble. They ALL do) Get the motor mount loose enough to move it, but not sloppy loose. Line up the clutch bell/spur teeth for good engagement and then push them together almost to the point of being too tight on the mesh. Rotate the spur gear. It should feel tighter in some spots than others asyou spin it around. Spin it to the tightest spot in the mesh and back the motor away until you have an ever so slight amount of 'play' in your mesh. You can feel this play by holding the clutch bell still and moving the spur back-n-forth. You want just a 'tick' of movement from the spur. (by 'tick', I mean movement that is so slight, you can barely feel it) Tighten up you motor mount screws one at a time, checking mesh after each one. Some people will say to use loc-tite on the engine mount screws, some won't. I don't use it myself, but I DO check the mesh EVERY 3-4 tanks and at the end/beginning of each session and I have yet to eat a spur on any of my trucks.

As far as the slipper goes, tighten it all the way down and then back it off no more than 1/8 turn. This one takes a little tinkering to get it adjusted to 'your tastes'. My T Maxx is a little tight and my Wife's E Maxx is set pretty loose. It depends on driver preference. Too loose with a plastic spur and you will melt it. Too tight and you defeat the purpose of having it.(it won't slip, you will heat the clutch bell up and eat/melt teeth off of the spur, tear out driveshafts, diffs, etc)

This is how I set my Warhead when I had it and didn't have any problems with spurs.

BTW, check [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6052586533&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1]this[/link] out. Lots of good stuff for your Warhead.

If I am not mistaken, spur gears are on back order from DTX.

Scott
Old 04-20-2006, 10:59 AM
leealan

Thanks for your help I will see how all of this works out. As far as reading the manual on these things I actually had looked at it and is where I figured out that the gear mesh was probably very wrong last time I installed the spur gear. I will continue to to read more about it and learn as I get more involved. Thanks again...Lee Alan