Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Monster Truck for a beginner...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Monster Truck for a beginner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 02:16 PM
leealan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Truck for a beginner...

I am a beginner in the this world of RC Monster Trucks or anything RC for that matter. I want to get a good sturdy truck that won't require a lot of maintenance from a beginner. I would like something with some speed but more so rough riding. I don't really have a spending limit so any suggestions will help...Thanks, Lee Alan
Old 04-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

Default RE: Monster Truck for a beginner...

Definently look at the Team Losi LST2. This is an awesome truck, Has a computerized radio, big engine, 1/8 scale, perfect for rough terrain, And also fast. It will set you back 600, but it will be worth it. There is a review of the truck on rcu's home page. Good luck
Old 04-20-2006, 02:43 PM
McFly505

Check out the Assocaited MGT 4.60 SE. It's not as high end as a LST2 but it's pretty beefy and easy to live with.

[link=http://www.rcpics.net/member/McFly505]Check out the video.[/link]

Scott
Old 04-20-2006, 02:58 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really great to read a post where money is not the deciding factor. Way too many where someone is trying to get a truck with a $300 budget. Anyway, I think you will be good with any of the big name trucks. You might also check your local hobby shop to see just what they stock, and to get your hands on the trucks and see which one you really like. Take a look at the Revo, Savage X, LST2 and MGT 4.6. I think either of these will put a smile on your face and you should be able to get parts most anywhere.

Have fun shopping for your truck and let us know what you get. With pictures of course.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:36 PM
bauerbach

Id reccomend the revo...

and why? because though all the trucks basicly require the same maintnence, traxxas has some pretty cool policies about different things.

for 1, the setup DVD. the self proclaimed experts may laugh at it because its so noob, but ummm hey, noobs are out there, why not have it? I kinda wish I had one with my LST2. luckily I have some experience with nitro planes, but that doesnt really carry over perfectly to cars.

and 2nd, good lord, Im waiting for publix to sell replacement and hopups for traxxas trucks. your going to break stuff, if your new, even more stuff. it also helps that hobby stores seem to be more familiar with traxxas trucks and can help. when I go in looking for a part, its the same thing every time. do you know the part number? is that ball bearing flanged or not? ect ect. they dont know anything, unless they can look it up in the short item listing. they dont even have an exploded view. they dont keep the LST2 instock either, but they do the revo. this is HOBBYTOWN USA, they order their parts from horizon hobby, WHO OWNS LOSI lol.

so for those reasons, if your concerned about being new and wanting the easiest experience possible, Id go with the Revo 3.3.

if you want something a little more "advanced" (though not really and better or worse at actually performing) Id suggest an LST2.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Chronic

The Revo is a good choice I think, if you can dig it's style. They are fairly easy to wrench on, they have great parts support, and they are easy to drive. Once you get to where you can handle it good and you want upgrades, you can find them everywhere. The Traxxas engines are cheap and they have that engine exchange program too, which might come in handy for someone new to this.

The Savage is also a really good truck for a newb to drive around since they can take such a beating, but I'm hesitant about recommending it for a first truck. After you get the Savage it will require some tinkering with linkages and such to really just get it operating correctly. Then you have to buy a battery pack and charger unless you want to punish yourself by running AA batteries. Other trucks like the Revo and LST come with them already. Then there is the fact that the Savage only has a single steering servo.... and it's one servo is weaker than either of the two steering servos that the Revo and LST come with, so most people upgrade that right away too. I bought a Savage as my first MT, but I knew what I was getting into and I was prepared to put the extra money into it.