RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

warhead grinding sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 04:37 PM
fga
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warhead grinding sound?

i was breaking in my brother's Warhead for him this afternoon. first tank fine, but mid way through the second, when apllying the brakes, it would make this grinding sound, like a stripped spur gear sound, but the spur is fine.
i shut it down, to look the truck over, nothing. rolled it back and forth.. smooth as glass. but if i pushed hard then apply the brakes, it makes the grinding sound.
i started the truck again, to see it did it while just idling... nothing. drive some laps without braking, perfect. if i ease the brake, still fine. but any kind of sharp stop, and it sounds awful. i have gotten right on the truck while testing it, and i can't tell where its coming from.
is it possibly a differential? or trans? cold it really break that fast? i know there are DTX haters, but this truck was being babied on its second break in tank.

i have a warhead also, that hasn't even seen a drop a fuel yet.. no time at all recently. before i break mine in, i want to know whet happened here?

if a differential, or trans has a problem, wouldn't you hear it while driving, accelerating, etc.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:00 PM
freerider6_9

Default RE: warhead grinding sound?

its most likly just your rotor and pads rubbing(if thats what they are called on rcs) and if not check all your linkages to check there arent rubbing any gears or anything but i beleive they are pretty out of the way and clear of geras on the warhead if my mental picture is right( my friend just bought one)
Old 04-21-2006, 01:13 AM
86atrack4

fga,
The noise is coming from the fiber brk disks, the wh doesn't have a metal rotor and brk pads.mine did the same thing,and if u would have kept up with the thread ,i mentioned it but no one else seemed to be having this problem.some said it was the one way bearing or internal gears.i knew it was the brks because the truck ran fine otherwise using the brks.i made a metal disc and used the pads from my ofna dominator,and the noise was gone ,however after running about a half gallon through it the metal disc is to soft and is rounding out , so i reinstalled the stock discs and the noise returned. rough up the discs with some light emrie cloth, clean off ,adjust your linkage, install a piece of fuel tubing on the linkage, and make sure the screws that hold the caliper on are tight.this seems to help and if u have a good radio u can adjust the brking.

ORIGINAL: fga

i was breaking in my brother's Warhead for him this afternoon. first tank fine, but mid way through the second, when apllying the brakes, it would make this grinding sound, like a stripped spur gear sound, but the spur is fine.
i shut it down, to look the truck over, nothing. rolled it back and forth.. smooth as glass. but if i pushed hard then apply the brakes, it makes the grinding sound.
i started the truck again, to see it did it while just idling... nothing. drive some laps without braking, perfect. if i ease the brake, still fine. but any kind of sharp stop, and it sounds awful. i have gotten right on the truck while testing it, and i can't tell where its coming from.
is it possibly a differential? or trans? cold it really break that fast? i know there are DTX haters, but this truck was being babied on its second break in tank.

i have a warhead also, that hasn't even seen a drop a fuel yet.. no time at all recently. before i break mine in, i want to know whet happened here?

if a differential, or trans has a problem, wouldn't you hear it while driving, accelerating, etc.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:23 PM
fga
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: 86atrack4

fga,
The noise is coming from the fiber brk disks, the wh doesn't have a metal rotor and brk pads.mine did the same thing,and if u would have kept up with the thread ,i mentioned it but no one else seemed to be having this problem.some said it was the one way bearing or internal gears.i knew it was the brks because the truck ran fine otherwise using the brks.i made a metal disc and used the pads from my ofna dominator,and the noise was gone ,however after running about a half gallon through it the metal disc is to soft and is rounding out , so i reinstalled the stock discs and the noise returned. rough up the discs with some light emrie cloth, clean off ,adjust your linkage, install a piece of fuel tubing on the linkage, and make sure the screws that hold the caliper on are tight.this seems to help and if u have a good radio u can adjust the brking.

ORIGINAL: fga

that's a relief to hear. i felt guilty breaking it in for him, and having the problem.
makes sense, i adjusted the brakes slightly after the first tank.. there was pracatically no brakes the first tank.
thanks