Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default NEW GUY NEEDS ADVICE

Hi Guys,
I have flown R/C airplanes for years and that being said, I also spend alot of time at home (retired). My wife said the other day, "why don't you get a car or truck to screw around with at home", I gotta love that girl . I have no problem in the area as my home is on a quiet street with many vacant lots in the area. The best part of this is I have a $300.00 store credit at my LHS that I need to spend. Ever since the Hurricane Wilma, they have not carried much for R/C planes, but they do have alot of car and truck stuff.

My questions are what would be a good combo to start out with? I have all kinds of digital servos and parts laying around and secondly, can I use the 15% nitro 18% oil or 20% nitro, 20% oil airplane fuels that I have on hand in these vehicles?

Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated .
Old 04-21-2006, 09:32 PM
silverman1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW GUY NEEDS ADVICE

Do you want to build or would you be happy going rtr. Do you plan to buy most of your parts from the local hobby shop or do you plan to buy most mail order? If you plan to buy most parts from your local hobby shop, see what they sell the most of. Oh yeah do you plan to bash or race. 2 trucks that most everyone stocks parts for are the Traxxas Revo, and the HPI Savage. Both are very good machines, with the revo being more finicky to tune. The savage comes in a variety of flavors a kit called the ss, the savage x its a new design, the rtr .25 savage. There are other trucks out there I really like The tamiya TNX, the LST2 from losi. Now 300.00 won't get you in the door with most of these trucks. your looking at 350. to 500.00 plus depending on the model. a savage x is around 450. a regular savage 375.00 give or take. the lst2 569.00 give or take. I forgot to mention associated mgt around 365.00 The Revo from traxxas 400.00 plus.

As far as fuel goes by car fuelthe richer oil content is not really good for the car engines, and airplane fuel is designed differently, different content.

If your dealer stocks Cen rc car products a Cen mt 2 or Cen nx rtr truck would come in lower or close to 300.00. They are really fun and can take a real beating.

All rc trucks are alot of fun most come with 2spds and great suspension.

Good luck

I own all these trucks. if you have any questions email me
Old 04-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Wide Open

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

id say the associated mgt. its set right around $400 dollars and its a very thought out design. ive got about a gallon through mine and i havent broken a single part, plus the stock engine works really well. although i think it may really depend on what your lhs stocks parts for. also, if you dont go with the mgt, there is the savage x and the lst 2 like silverman said. but being an mgt guy thats what ill recommend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65896.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	449197  
Old 04-21-2006, 11:09 PM
revopqrs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

every big name monster truck is good, it personal preference really. do ya like big and gnarly, or fast and nimble? do ya wanna buy tons of aftermarket parts for it? i havr a lst and a revo, they are both killer trucks but i prefer the revo because of the crazy factor.(it has an os 30 in it!) its a demon that is nearly unbreakable, but i have spent alot on aftermarket parts. the lst... well its neat lookin, but its just too big and heavy to impress me after driving my revo... doesnt matter what motor i put in it. if i did find a motor that made it hang with my revo i would promptly pull it out and bolt it into my revo!!!
that being said the lst is my second choice... thats all im gonna say.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:24 AM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great info and thanks for the photos. To answer a couple of questions, I had intended just to run the truck around the several vacant lots across the street. I'm sure it will take awhile to learn how to steer etc., until I get used to the different type of transmitter. I use a 7 channel Hitec Eclipse now. I had intended to add some money to the $300 store credit to buy whatever. At this point I'll probably look at something RTR to get started. Thanks for the tips and advice and keep em coming.

Do I have to buy new support equipment or will most of my airplane stuff work?
Old 04-22-2006, 04:55 AM
Timmahh
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the Traxxas units are pretty nice, Tmaxx run about 400+ and the Revo is just over 500.00, the Traxxas TRQ3 tx/rx is ok, but comparitivly id say is much like the standard Futaba low/mid range tx. let me put it this way, the TRQ3 sells in my lhs for bout 60.00 new. i use JR X3Pro tx with JR RS310 rx. i like it, probably way overkill for what you need but they have the normal XS3 non pro version goes for about 140. Futaba and Spektrums are also very nice untis......the trq will probably be fine for what n where your playing at..... if your going to go with digi servos, you ll WANT a 5cell hump pack.. go with a 1200Mah or 1400 Mah or larger if you can find, your digis will chew reg AAs pretty good..... im sure you already have the chargers..
also as one poster said, you ll NOT want to use your current fuel.. there is a big enough differance in the engines. i suggest nothing less than 20% NITRO with a Castor/Synthetic lube mix.. worx best imo... the castor to help save your engine incase it get too hot and the synths for great lubes and quality. i suggest you HEAT CYCLE your motor over the recommended method of most Manufacturers.... Search for Post by a cat named FUELMAN, he has a very nice tutorial if you unfamiliar with heat cycleing....
a STOCK unit is pretty good, but be prepared for some replacement parts...ofcourse this will depend on your driving and bashing skillz. lol. either way its a FREAKING RIOT!!!!!!!! you ll prolly like it as much or more than flying, mostly due to the fact you open your door and go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have fun, and dont forget the grandkiddies... talk about a giggle a minute..
my daughter laughs and laughs and laughs, and that just tickles the cockles of my heart.
have fun. and let us know how your coming along.
Timmahh
PS.. for your steering servo, should you want to upgrade it, i sugges going with something with ALOT of torque, i use a JR Z9000T @ 115.00 and has 333in/oz of torque on 6v adn 283 @ 4.8v.. anything around 150 or more would be great...
Old 04-22-2006, 05:15 AM
olstoney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can I use a 5 cell flat pack, or is there not enough room? I've got a NoBS 1650 nickel pack on the shelf looking for a home . Yeah I've got both a Hobbico Elite and an Ace Digipulse for chargers. Do you guys use stuff like 2 cell lithium batteries on a regulator like we do on planes? The fuel that I had in mind was my Powermaster 20/20 that I used in my supercharged YS four stroke engines. It is 20% nitro and 20% synthetic. I do add 4oz of castor to each gallon making it about 23% total oil. From what I have read this is perhaps too much oil for a truck engine? I'll ask about servos later as I am assuming that some of my high torque airplane digitals would work (Hitec 5945's and 5955 TG's).
Old 04-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yea those servos should work great, my neighbor steers his Maxx with the 5945, nice servo. durable and is holding up well.... im not sure of the specs of the 5955s. Metal Gears are the only smart way for steering. consider a plane, the torgue on a rudder, though having some wind resistance that fluxuates the amount of torque needed to hold the rudder in place, should remain fairly stable. now put that on a Tire/Rim combo, Rotating at whatever RPMs, add the resistance of the tire meeting the dirt. its quite a beating the servo gears can take. Now add that 6 foot tall sand pile and the HARD GROUND on the bottom of it with a cement curbe 8 feet away, your gonna be praying the mgs hold up.lolol. as far as the flat pks, i dont beleive they will work, but not positive about this one.... i want to say no for size but the voltage should be right. someone else will need to chime in and clarify

your right on the assumption of too much oil for the car/truck engines.. i ve used Trinity Monster Fuel 20% offroad type fuel, Traxxas 20% fuel and another one i dont remember off hand. i found it kind of interesting that none of the 3 listed the % of oil in the mix... i think it so the more experienced rc peeps DONT go "WOW thats a low % mix, i better add some castro." on my aircraft nitro fuel it lists the oil %s. i use Byrons Original 30% for the helis, and 10% for the planes, or plane glow fuel. i have some Powermaster 15% i was thinking of useing in the Saito 4stroker. but not sure if this is advisable. what do you have to say, considering your fleet has some 4stkrs, you would know more than I, as the Saito is the first 4c i have for a plane and have yet to fire it up.
as far as liths go, not in this scale that i have seen, but someone has probably tried to or successfully done a mod. not seen one personally.
maybe with the 12th or 18th scale minis it would have more usefullness...??? thinking outloud.

well it s a tad rainy here today, so i m gonna spend some time flying Hueys in Battlefield Vietnam, and then fire up the sim and get some warbird time on that...

Timmahh
Old 04-22-2006, 01:14 PM
mmduc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i fly planes also,and have 6 r/c cars/trucks. the savage x is really a great truck,very tough,holds a tune very well,and there are tons of parts available for it.i use powermaster 15% heli fuel in all my planes,when it comes to the cars/trucks,i wouldnt use any type of plane/heli fuel. use fuel for cars/trucks,has much better anf higher oil content. i use blue thunder 20%. works great.like i said,i own many trucks/cars, i really think for what you want this thruck for, the savage x in the way to go. good luck. just my 2 cents
Old 04-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Gear Box Models

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For $300.. you can get a CEN Magnum NX and still have changes back. THere is no other 4WD truck with 3.0 engine and 2 speed (45mph) around that price, besides the smartech and redcat stuff...
Old 04-22-2006, 02:43 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I glossed over the other posts, so sorry if I say something somebody else already did...

No, DO NOT run plane fuel in your car. that's just not good. Also, it's illegal to run a surface vehicle (boat, car, truck, etc) with an air frequency.

Beyond that, you can still use the same servos and chargers and such, but I don't recommend using any of your 4.8v receiver packs for any cars.

What I do recommend is you take a good hard look at the Monster GT 4.6, the Savage X, and the Tamiya TNX Pro. the TNX is a great truck that's usually overlooked, but one thing that you'll have to remember is your gearing options are VERY limited.

And GearBox...just because you pimp CEN stuff in the marketplace doesn't mean you have to in the MT forums. It's just a little tacky.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Gear Box Models

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

I glossed over the other posts, so sorry if I say something somebody else already did...

No, DO NOT run plane fuel in your car. that's just not good. Also, it's illegal to run a surface vehicle (boat, car, truck, etc) with an air frequency.

Beyond that, you can still use the same servos and chargers and such, but I don't recommend using any of your 4.8v receiver packs for any cars.

What I do recommend is you take a good hard look at the Monster GT 4.6, the Savage X, and the Tamiya TNX Pro. the TNX is a great truck that's usually overlooked, but one thing that you'll have to remember is your gearing options are VERY limited.

And GearBox...just because you pimp CEN stuff in the marketplace doesn't mean you have to in the MT forums. It's just a little tacky.
We are a re-seller but that have nothing to do with what we recommend. face the facts, there is no turck aruond $300 better than the Magnum NX. Revo, MGT..etc are nice trucks but they are all around $400 and even $500...
Old 04-22-2006, 06:24 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

True, but that extra $100 buys a LOT of good stuff.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:43 PM
darthballs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

we dont even know if his lhs sells cen stuff
Old 04-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

THEY all sell it, but stocking it is another bird all together.....
Olstony, your finding out there just as much choice in the car/truck arena as there is in the plane/heli arena.. lol
Timmahh
Old 04-23-2006, 02:07 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

not true timmah. the LHs's at which I previously worked didn't have accounts with Global or RC America.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:40 AM
Timmahh
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If they had a few customers Or even one that would make a nice sale, they ll get it in... only one out of 4 of my lhs has an account with both of those companies and carries the merchandise on shelf....but the other 3 all said NO PROBLEM we can set up the work and get you ANYTHING YOU WANT... all of them. one even went as far as to get their things ready and set up the appropriate accounts even plan on bringing in a couple items at my request... if they want to make money, they ll get the account and sell the product... the rule of thumb is, let a customer down once, you ll never get the chance to let them down again... Just because tehy dont have the account now, you go in and drop 500.00 to 600.00 on the counter and the register will ding. they know you ll need other higher profit items in the future, THEY will find a way!!!! No one want those profit pennies to go into the compititions pocket..
Timmahh
Old 04-23-2006, 07:25 AM
olstoney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the ideas guys. Couldn't get to the LHS yesterday, so I'll go the beginning of the week and see exactly what is available. I'll pay a little more there than online, but I need to use up that store credit. Another good thing is he has a shop in the back and will help make repairs for his customers. I also understand that if he is not too busy whatever you buy from him is test run to make sure everything is O.K. before it leaves the premises. I'll get back for some more guidance after I know what the choices are.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Timmahh
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thats not a bad thing paying a bit more. hell its great to have a brick and mortors fairly close by, cause i can drive to my lhs n be home in about 45 mins, but to drive to the places online, we re talking hotel stays now..lol
Timmahh
Old 04-23-2006, 09:26 PM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have flown 40% planes last year, and got out, but decided to pick up a truck just today..

I decided on a Losi LST2. IT has just the right upgrades in it already, decent price and lots of fun.. it comes with a 5 cell pack, 2 steering servos, a JR Synth radio, (XS3)... Consider it..
Old 04-23-2006, 09:36 PM
silverman1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think most car fuels sport fuels that is run about 12 to 14% oil, Your racing fuels run 8 to 9% oil content. I've been told its the quality of the oil that allows you to run less oil percentage mix in your car fuel. The oils for cars are more a mix of synthetic/castor blend. There is less of one these components airplane fuels from what i've read and heard.

As far as the Cen trucks the MT 2 and the magnum. I have to agree for 300.00 or less depnding on which model you buy you get one heck of a great little truck for the money. I have the MT2 and when i want to take a truck out and just beat on it, this is one of my favorites, even over my 400, 500 dollar trucks, and yes i got them all. REVO, TNX, LST, MGT, Savage, Genesis. ETC.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Wide Open

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

your lhs will be most likely to carry losi, associated, and hpi parts. meaning the lst 2, mgt, and savage will probably be the big three when youre considering.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:32 AM
olstoney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just got back from the LHS . From what they carry and after speaking with the manager, he recommends either the Revo 3.3 or Traxass 3.3. Told me that the basic runnung gear is the same with the exception of the Revo being longer and having the transverse suspension setup. The new Traxass has the Revo transmission etc.

There is a considerable difference in price as the Traxass is $469.00 and the Revo is $529.00. As this will be my entry level venture into nitro trucks, does anyone see a problem with me buying the Traxass for $60.00 less and saving the $60.00 + tax and if so, why? The LHS stocks about a gazillion parts both stock replacements and upgrades for the Traxass.

Being used to airplanes, you do not spend $2000.00 or better on a 50cc gasoline powered aerobatic plane until you learn how to fly. According to the manager these are both top notch trucks, so I'm wondering sort of why I'm jumping right into the top shelf stuff. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:52 AM
michelob78

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They are both good and capable trucks, but I don't consider them "topshelf". Traxxas probably has the best customer support, distribution, and parts support of all manufacturers. If ground RC is something you definately want then I don't see a problem with it. It's no fun buying a lame duck that you end up fixing more than running, so quality is an important issue. The major factor I never saw you explain is the type of terrain you will be running on. If you are gonna run the street and empty parking lots, maybe a monster truck is not what you want. You might be better suited with a stadium truck.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:55 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

*cringe*
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret...
Hobby shop owners WANT you to buy a T-maxx because they sell tons of replacement parts. they'll make more money off you buying two packages of replacement arms than they will on the truck itself. the Revo is a good truck...
Also, Traxxas' engines have a history for not being terribly newbie friendly.

Traxxas doesn't make bad cars...but you'd be better served by an LST2, a Savage, a TNX, or a Monster GT. the Revo is a great truck too-I just hate the enigne and electronics. but IMO unless all you're gonna do is drive around in an open, flat field, ignore the T-maxx, ESPECIALLY if the reason it's drawing you in is price.

The Savage, MGT, and TNX are all cheaper, and MHO, better, especially for a person that's new to cars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service