My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Tire Balancing

Is there a way to balance tires, or make a homemade balancer?
Old 05-13-2006, 01:46 PM
snowbl!nd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Tire Balancing

You can position small weights around the rim of the wheel to balance them - all you need for a homemade balancer is a perfectly horizontal freely rotating shaft to mount the wheel to. Gravity will rotate the wheel so that the heaviest point is lowest.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:28 PM
ferrariboy150
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok I will try that. Thanks
Old 05-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

heres what you do. and you correct in thinking it will help. bucuz it WILL, alot.. go to a hobby shop or a sporting/pro golf store and buy some golfers tape. this is thin lead tape with a sticky backing. you can use it to balance your tires. personally i used a quality roll of duct tape
buy a decent Dubro prop balancer... you will need a wheel hex in the rim for it to get a good seat. put your tire on the balance shaft, and secure into place with the provided pieces.. put a small washer against the last piece that holds the rim on, and slide a 1 inch piece of fuel line up to the back... this will go on rather hard and you need it to go on hard to hold the tire in place as it rotates... you set your mounted tire and balance shaft on the balancer... i was balancing 1/10 scale stuff, so i had to make 2 small wedges to just move the tops of the balancer apart 1/2 inch to allow the tire to spin without rubbing the inside part of the balancer.. i used 2 cheap bic pen houseings. cut to needed length and notched each end and set between balancer uprights to spred apart a bit...... i was balancing tires on Aluminum Rims, the rims were already pretty much on and i only needed a small amount of weight.
i wrapped the tire foams in duct tape 2 complete wraps, then stuck them in the tires and mounted to help stop tire expansion at higher rpms as well. once that was done i balanced the tire by rolling it and found the heavy spot (lowest part of tire when wheel stops). then used strips of duct tape on the top of the rim between the rim and the tire.. i moved it around a bit until the tire would stop pretty much anywhere. i had to use a 2nd pice on one difficult to get tire..
once i had the rim/tire to my likeing i glued one side and set aside to dry. moved to 2nd tire. ect.. after tires were balanced and one side was glued and dry. i rechecked them one by one and added whatever lil bit of tape to where needed if the glue happened to throw off the balance. if it was ok, i glued the 2nd side. or rebalanced and then glued if needed.
seem like alot of work, but the end result was great, ALOT less wobble and much more responsive, plus haveing them balanced helped alot with airborn control and cornering.
theres only few posts on this here, but a search will provide some great info.
hth
Timmahh