I am looking at this truck
its looks great but as i am a first time monster truck buyer
what do you think

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NITRO-MONSTER...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-13-2006, 05:34 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: help wanted

I think there are a lot of much better choices availible.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for 550 + 30 ship, you could get an HPI Savage SS 25 46 or HELLFIRE, TRAXXAS REVO 3.3, or 2.5 and upgrade to the picco 26 engine.. you could spend about 100 more and get an Team Losi LST2. not that that truck is bad, but you ll have 7-14 day ship time. customs and such as its coming from Austrailla... if you look around you can find some great bargins on the bay too plus coming from teh states means you ll get your truck and fun sooner.
i d look around for a more assessable unit with parts availability.
check your LHS and see what they stock for parts. it may help you decide.
before anyone jumps on one brand bandwagons and starts flinging POOP.. i ll say this, THEY ARE ALL DECENT UNITS. THEY ALL HAVE SOME TYPE OF ISSUE> THEY ALL CAN BE UPGRADED, THEY ALL HAVE POSITIVES> THEY ALL HAVE NITRO MOTORS. which can be a PITA if your not familiar. get one you like. expect to get parts, the only way you ll never need parts is if you shelf it and never use it.... have fun, and get a case of beer for those fustrating time YOU WILL HAVE>. but its worth it, though it can get a bit pricey.
Timmahh
Old 05-13-2006, 06:36 PM
jetski_waxhead

thanks for that
i am actually in australia so that makes it easier for me
but we can get hpi and tmax over here as well
i am not planning on racing it just want something to crash around with and didnt want to buy a junker that would be useless for what i am trying to do
Old 05-13-2006, 06:38 PM
jetski_waxhead

would this be a better truck do you think

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HPI-SAVAGE-W-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-13-2006, 09:07 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do yourself a favor and stick with the big 4 manufactures. HPI savage rtr, Associated MGT, or traxxas revo or tmaxx, or Losi LST2

The guy is talking so much crap about other trucks he does not know what he is talking about.

Hpi makes several versions of the savage, The revo, and tmaxx are pretty good vehicles, associated's MGT is also very good. Losi also builds good products. All of these trucks you'll be able to get parts for fairly easily, and it does not cost much to get a different engine mont for a revo or tmaxx.

Id stick with these companies for my monster truck, Id also buy brand new. You can get a new savage for what that guy wants for his hopped savage, plus you get some warranty.

Look at ultimate hobbies, tower hobbies, hobbypeople.net. i have found both ultimate hobbies and tower hobbies to be very good price wise with the nod going to ultimate hobbies.

Hope this helps you
Old 05-13-2006, 11:33 PM
bauerbach

that truck looks to weigh about 20-25lbs. a .25 motor in it is going to suck wind. the losi LST2 is powered by a .28, the tmaxx has a 3.3 version now that is around .21 I believe(this is technically a 1/10th scale, and is if anything overpowered by a .21 engine). and the cen nemesis/genesis, has a .46 motor if your into stump pulling torque.

furthermore, Ive never even heard of the brand(raptor? is that the brand or the truck name?) but I have no clue where you would get replacement parts, let alone hop-ups.

so bottom line, as has been said, no, I wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:03 AM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

I wouldnt get the first one. The savage would be ok. Depends how much money you want to spend as to what you should get. Remember, you will need fuel and glowplugs and replacements for broekn parts on the way. Plus you might eventually want some hop ups. I think it is safe to say that the general reccomend list for MTs is:
Traxxas Revo
HPI Savage
Losi LST2
Cen Nemesis/Genesis
Team associated MGT
Hellfire is more of a racer but its decent
The Tmaxx has tons of aftermarket parts but traxxas is really just milking every last dollar out of it, Its kind of bottom of the line now.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Timmahh
Banned

it may be bottom of the line, but its still probably the #1 sold MT around, which is why it has SO MUCH going for it, and prices are decent. but if i were to go again with what i know know, i d prolly go for a Revo 2.5/3.3, pull the opti/tranny, install a FOC RRP Metal tranny metal diffcups, put on a good failsafe rpm a arms and run the shiz out of it.. or id spend a bit more and get Losi MT2. but for overall stuff, the traxxas stuff is widely availalbe and most hobby shops have parts right on hand or can have them in a few days..
i seen your info say your in USA, is why i said you may be better off ordering here, but if your down under. Go Kangaroo stylie...lol
Timmahh
Old 05-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

That first one looks like a warhead in disguise, and everyone knows not to touch wanna them.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:53 AM
jetski_waxhead

thanks guys for your feedback
i will not buy any of them and keep looking around