Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Choosing between the Savage 25 I have and an LST2

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Choosing between the Savage 25 I have and an LST2

Old 05-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Black_Ghost_FN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing between the Savage 25 I have and an LST2

Okay, I just bought a Savage 25 (RTR, Radio Rotostart...) from a friend for $320CDN. It has a HotBodies .26, and is basically a brand new truck,(Ihaven't even run it yet) just about every part replaced, Some aluminum hoopups including the bulkheads, and tranny rebuild. I't didn't come with a body though. The only thing that looks used is the engine. The cooling head cap was scratched to hell but I grinded it down, sanded it and pollished it up now it looks awsome. I bought it because it was a good deal even thought the truck I really wanted was the LST2. I also have an XTM X-Cellerator which I probably wont really drive now that I have a MT. So I'm wondering what you would do...Sell the Savage and X-C to get an LST?... Keep the savage and sell the X-C to spend the money on the savage?

Well I'll have to think about that one, whichever one I end up with I want to get a really good engine, I'm thinking LRP .28 Spec 2, but actually now I've heard of a spec 3. Whats the difference between the spec 2 and 3? I assume the 3 is better. I don't mind spending the extra money if it costs more. I'll also end up with a 3-speed. I don't mind giving up 2 trucks for 1, I just want the best one in the end. So let me know what you think, and any info on the spec 2 and 3 of that engine would be helpful. Thanks.

BTW, the truck is just for bashing. My friend who sold the Savage to me just about doesn't like anything but Savages. He really hates the LST2 for some reason and says you can't impress him with one. I really want to beat his sorry *** in a race with an LST2. I've seen a video around of the LST2 with the LRP and that's what I want. It was the video with the off sound, most have probably seen it. If I got an SH .28 Pro would I be getting pretty much the same thing? Thats what my friend has in his Savage so if I got the same one for the LST2 and wooped him that would be even better to prove the LST2.

There should be a picture attatched of the Savage. (My camera makes things look dirtier than they really are) Buzz off 56K, it's 4048x3040 (Okay maybe it wont show up that size)

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35866.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	461571  
Old 05-14-2006, 11:39 PM
bauerbach

Default RE: Choosing between the Savage 25 I have and an LST2

seems like a great price on the savage... could probably sell it for a profit if the LST2 is what you really want.

get what you want.

if your looking to out accelerate a savage, well thats just a matter of money. if your looking to outdrive a savage, that shouldnt be too difficult. savage is a tough truck, hardly the fastest thing on 4 wheels around the track however.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:39 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know what kind of prices you're looking at. I have a stock Savage 25 and REALLY like it.. Tough, reliable, holds a tune, fast enough in a gravel pit for ex, if not around a track..., not a lot of messing around. All around great, fun truck..

I then bought a Savage X - which I just don't like the looks of and am selling new and unused on e-bay....... - and that in order to get an LST2. LST2 for me seems kind of risky though, cuz there is NO LHS support(where I live in Germany). I think - even for lots of guys WITH LHS support - it's a truck that requires lots of on-line ordering. That means longer down time, period, as far as I can see..

I like LST2's cuz they're bigger and faster than a Savage. But there is always that undeniable Savage toughness.. Tough call.

Here in Germany the LRP Z.28R Spec 3 recently came out. I wanted to get it for my Savage X, but the guy selling them actually put me off. He said it was just too powerful for a Savage and just didn't make a lot of sense... I've also heard that about the Spec 2 BTW, and the Spec 3 is even more powerful.

I have no experience with bigger engines, but several people here in Germany have advised against it.. (that said, I have an Axial 28 for my X that I'm not selling, and which will eventually replace my 25...)

So the point is, upgrading your Savage will cost more than just the price of the engine - you're gonna need soonish probably to upgrade diffs and tranny and maybe other stuff...

That said, if you want the LRP, the SH28 Pro is the same thing, and cheap, and with a 3-speed for example should be plenty (well, VERY) damn fast..

So good luck..
Old 05-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Slipracer

The lst2 is a great truck, though if it is only for bashing I would keep the savage and sell the x-c for part money
Old 05-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Black_Ghost_FN

My other friend might buy the savage but I might choose to do as you suggest Slipracer. I'm thinking Keep the Savage, sell the X-C, and buy the LRP Z.28R Spec 3, and a 3-speed tranny. But then with the LST2 I get a nice JR FM radio (Using X-C one with savage now) and new rotostart (Because this one has a broken switch so is using a custom external switch). But sticking with the savage would be cheaper and it's got the toughness they're known for. But the LST2 is bigger. And I could sell the unused LST2 Engine and get the LRP right away. Im so confused. I might have to go to the LHS with my savage and put it beside the LST2 and try to decide.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:48 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Me too..
Old 05-15-2006, 01:59 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Can't bea ta savage for bashing. But in any kind of a race that involves turning, an LST2 will EAT a savage. Even in a straight line the LST2 should win without difficulty
Old 05-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Black_Ghost_FN

So if I keep the savage would it be OK to put that LRP Spec 3 in it?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Black_Ghost_FN

Just got the savage running, it's not tuned its best but I'm not impressed with the handling. I guess I need a hi-torque servo.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:54 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

There's the other disadvantage. The single servo. It's not as powerful as two.

But where is your servo saver? On the the servo itself? Or is it the cam servo saver
Old 05-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Black_Ghost_FN

If I can sell the savage and XC, I'll do it and get the LST2.

About the servo saver, I guess there isn't one.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:07 AM
EG1

I agree that for bashing just keep the savage, but for racing the lst2 is far superior.

My sts 28 powered savage would easily beat my mach 427 in a drag race, but at the track forget it.