RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

RC'ing in ALASKA!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:01 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC'ing in ALASKA!!!!!

Hey dudes. I am going to Anchorage, Alaska at the end of june for a week to visit my brother, he's stationed there in the airforce. I wanted to know if there was anything unique or cool to see that has to do with RC there. Figured while I was out I could check out some of the local tracks, or I was thinking if maybe they had a 1/18th class I was gonna buy a RC18T to take with me to race when my bro has to report for duty Can't take an 1/8 scale tho, to much to carry. And the airlines I am sure will not let me bring nitro onboard.

anything good or unique out there in Alaska?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:32 PM
mydartswinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC'ing in ALASKA!!!!!

As far as Alaska, not really. I'm not to sure about the Anchorage area, but I think it's a similar to the Fairbanks situation. If it is, there's only a couple of places that sell RC parts, and no organized racing to my knowledge. I do know that there is a place in the mall that's called the Diamond Center.

Now as far as taking an 1/8th scale on a plane, I just brought one down(as well as 4 other nitro powered cars) from Alaska and had no problems. The closest thing to a problem that I had was TSA agents picking on me about it, but then again, I was also flying in a military uniform. I carried a Savage 25 as my "personal item" on board the plane with me, and in a suitcase I had the rest of the cars in my sig. I cleaned them all up well with Trinity's Nitro Blast and removed the fuel lines. When I left Fairbanks, I had a TSA agent tell me that as long as there is no fuel or oil residue on the vehicle nor fuel in the tank, they are OK. Go with your own instincts. If you want to take the risk, go for it and you shouldn't have a problem. On the other hand, to be safe, take only electric, because if the agent is having a bad day and they don't understand RC and/or see the most minute amount of anything on the vehicle, they can confiscate it. If you are only going there for a short period of time, leave the nitros at home. If you want to risk it, try having someone at the airport with you so you can hand the car to if the TSA doesn't allow it to fly, I do this myself. Also, if you do decide to bring the nitro car, when your baggage goes through screening, let the TSA agent know what's there and explain what it is. Stay with them until you are sure your car makes it through screening. They won't let you in the screening area, but stay nearby to get a verdict on fly or no fly.

List for flying:
1. Clean car
2. No fuel line
3. Remove batts.
4. DO NOT BRING ANY FUEL

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps.